1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Project Steel Dreams 1950 F2 build

Old 11-16-2010, 11:47 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of my build thread, here is another installment. I have started collecting all the parts i need to fix [correct?] the wiring. I have a new headlight switch which is really cool. It is a 4 position switch. All in is off. first out is park and tail. Second out is headlights and third out is for high beams. That's right no additional dimmer switch.

I also have the relays for wiring the headlights. Additionally I have an electronic turn signal. I have a momentary 2 pole neutral center switch for turning on the turn signals. if you press the switch either way for one second the turn signal comes on for 7 seconds and then turns off. If you press it for 2 seconds the signal will flash for 20 seconds. Finally if you press for 4 seconds it will flash for 75 secdonds and then turn off. It also has hazard flashers built in. Except for the switches all the electrical parts were purchased form speedway Motors which I reccomend.

Still checking on the possibility of a local glass place to do my windshield and back window. Can't have any leaks on the new electrics.

Almost forgot I picked up my new battery box and that should go on shortly. I will try and get some pictures shortly.

jim

Old 11-16-2010, 12:05 PM
1958fun
Freshman User
Looks like fun!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:14 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
I hope so as that is the sole purpose for the truck. BTW: i forgot to mention [you will hear that alot] that the turn signal switch will be on the dash. The steering column will be a 1 3/4 plain black tube with a detachable steering wheel. The steering column will nothing on it. Yes detachable as in theft deterant because you can't steal it if you can't drive it.

Last edited by hellfirejim; 11-16-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: can't type or spell apparently or i have stupid fingers
Old 11-16-2010, 12:53 PM
epp
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like your making progress. Never fear the darkside. Its nice over here and opens the doors to all kinds of fantastic ideas..

Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Never afraid of the dark. My other toy is a 1975 Pinto that I am doing for my granddaughter who loves it.

I have to admit it has been a long time since I have been this charged up over a vehicle. Hunting down the pieces to fix the wiring and install new headlight switch and electronic turn signals is proving to be a harder challenge. I had to look all over town to try and find a momentary switch for hazards. On a hunch I stopped in a sound shop and asked if they might have any. The guy disappears for a minute and comes back with a switch even with the unusual wiring i need as in one lead in and two leads out. Perfect except for the blue cap. So yeah I asked and a minute later the other guy goes out to his car and brings back another switch and they sold them both to me for $2.00. Guess where I am going to buy my audio stuff??????? ;-)

jim

Old 11-17-2010, 10:04 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hellfirejim
Hi Jim, i was wondering when you would show up. By all means go back and bring that sucker back to life. When I get mine to a state where I can cruise long distance then i will bring it out there and we can go for a cruise....

if you start a build thread let me know.
jim
.................................................. .................................................. .........

I hope too get back to it but how soon i don't know. I am restoring a one owner , me,64 falcon futura hardtop. I gave it to my daughter and she is paying for the parts,i'm doing a freebe . I had it completely taken apart and just now getting started putting it together. Wireing today and engine this weekend ,maybe. Then i have my driver 79 f-100 i have to pull apart to redo. I will let you know when i start. I am trying to decide about the engine situation. After mounting the body the way i wanted it theres not a lot of room for the engine unless i sit it high and cut out the fire wall and floor more than i wanted to. I wanted to put in a Y-block that i have , but im not sure now. The engine i think that will fit the best is the one i have in my 35 chevy street rod that i'm thinking about removing anyway. Thats a chevy 4.3L / v6 , 200/4r overdrive transmission , okay ford only fans,i said it . JIM

Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Jim I assume?
Hey just wanted to say welcome! Im a little late but, better late than never!
I am down here in Peoria area. Im a darksider too I guess!
Stay in touch and check out my albums, I have a long ways to go though!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Hey Jeff, good to hear from you. I think this spring when the weather is nicer I think a road trip is in order. Went and looked at your albums, nice work.

I see that you are making a F3 into a F1. would you still have the F3 fenders?? In particular I need the lower front extensions that attach to the valance panel or the whole fender will do.

jim

jim

Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Good luck with your project Jim and Welcome. Looked at your photo bucket of your ride was wondering what size (Measurments)of fuel tank on that S10? Im thinking of changing my current one to a more sutible configuration.
Ron

Old 11-17-2010, 05:06 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
It is the stock 1986 S-10. Actually it is a little smaller as it looks like it took a hit from the drive shaft at one point. I am going to have to do some checking to see if there is a larger tank that will fit there as I think that one is about 12 -14 gallons. I will be happy to measure it out for you this saturday when i go up to the shop to work on it.

jim

Old 11-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hellfirejim
I see that you are making a F3 into a F1. would you still have the F3 fenders?? In particular I need the lower front extensions that attach to the valance panel or the whole fender will do.
jim
I still have the upper and lower f-3 fenders...The uppers have the typical rustout spots and the lowers are pretty sad...but I still have them.
The fenders have a layer of undercoating inside them so the pics may look pitted, but the one that I scraped out is really great metal, not pitted.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
PM sent, I am interested.
jim

Old 11-20-2010, 09:13 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome Jim and let me say that if it is a f1 you can do almost anything to them a they still look great IMO, so do your thing a suit yourself, I get alot of static about the rake on HOMADE

Old 11-20-2010, 05:27 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Thanks Homade and don't worry I am sure i will **** off a bunch of people by the time I am done building it my way. I garuntee that this is not going to be your thank you very much F100 style fresh out of the mold truck. I am building it the way i want and can afford. All it has to do is make me smile, something it is very good at.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:48 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Well time for the next installment on the truck. First we moved some stuff around the shop and made room for the truck. At that time I just dove in and started marking wires. I split looms, separated wires and move wires from the old firewall holes where that wiring came through. You can not believe what a rats nest of wires. if I had done that I would have been embarrased.
So anyway I marked the holes to mount the battery box on the firewall. Since this box was never inteded to fit this truck I had to make an adjustment as to where the mounting holes will be. I got it mounted and the battery inplace till I just got tired. Sorry no pictures asI realized that when i pulled the camera out and turned it on it indicated really low batteries and then shut off. Don't worry i will get pictures soon.

Remember it was on the passenger floor.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Steel Dreams 1950 F2 build