General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Buy an AK-47 get free truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:50 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 11-13-2010, 10:01 AM
mymechanic'sanidiot
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang! I don't need an AK but if I could get a truck with it...I'd buy that for a dollar!

Old 11-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I already have 3 AKs, couldn't they throw in a nice HK-91 or FN/FAL?

Old 11-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Old93junk
I already have 3 AKs, couldn't they throw in a nice HK-91 or FN/FAL?
lol can I have one of those AK`s?

I wonder if I could use it in a straight up trade for a brand new Vz.58 lol

Old 11-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
I am hanging on to my AKs, but I would like to get back into a nice AR-15 HBAR.
Someday, I will back up my Soviet stuff with a good HK-91, FN/FAL or M1A.......until then, its bargain basement, eastern bloc for me!

Old 11-13-2010, 12:22 PM
mymechanic'sanidiot
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someday, I will back up my Soviet stuff with a good HK-91, FN/FAL or M1A.......until then, its bargain basement, eastern bloc for me!
The Soviets couldn't build a decent car to save their life and stole alot of their aircraft designs from the West but Lieutenant General Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov designed one heck of a gun in the AK. Cheap and reliable all in one package. Hard to believe the Soviets didn't manage to muck it up.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mymechanic'sanidiot
The Soviets couldn't build a decent car to save their life and stole alot of their aircraft designs from the west but Lieutenant General Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov designed one heck of a gun in the AK. Hard to believe the Soviets didn't manage to muck it up.
Mikhail Kalashnikov was/is a mechanical genius.........However, I think he may have taken......a little......off the German STG 44 which looks to uncannily much like a AK to be coincidence, right down to cartridge similarities. We all know the Germans have NO problem building vehicles, guns, and aircraft.......I agree, its one heck of a weapon, just like a big crow bar, nobody can break it, it ALWAYS works, and anyone can use/maintain it.

I believe, Lt. General Kalashnikov's latest gig is owning and branding his own vodka, seems he has relented to capitalism!

On edit, After reading the add, the only thing that comes to mind is, the AK will be FAR more reliable and FAR outlive the truck that was purchased.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:48 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

ak's here are sub $400. and very easy to find at the local "toy store"
I myself perfer a sks. maybe im strange

Old 11-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Yea I want to get a AR-15 bottom and pick up a old vietnam era M-16 upper or at the very least get a complete AR-15 and build up a Vietnam Era M-16.

Originally Posted by mymechanic'sanidiot
The Soviets couldn't build a decent car to save their life and stole alot of their aircraft designs from the West but Lieutenant General Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov designed one heck of a gun in the AK. Cheap and reliable all in one package. Hard to believe the Soviets didn't manage to muck it up.
The AK had some drawbacks as well that the Czechs improved upon with their Vz.58. They used a shorter stroke gas piston which was more reliable and they used the action heavily based off the German StGw 44 but was also a Czech version of it. I hear the Ak had a small draw back that some times spent casings got caught in the bolt jamming them open upon ejection. The Czech version resolved this by the whole top of the rear of the rifle was sliding back with the bolt giving a huge opening.

Mikhail Kalashnikov was/is a mechanical genius.........However, I think he may have taken......a little......off the German STG 44 which looks to uncannily much like a AK to be coincidence, right down to cartridge similarities. We all know the Germans have NO problem building vehicles, guns, and aircraft.......I agree, its one heck of a weapon, just like a big crow bar, nobody can break it, it ALWAYS works, and anyone can use/maintain it.

I believe, Lt. General Kalashnikov's latest gig is owning and branding his own vodka, seems he has relented to capitalism!

On edit, After reading the add, the only thing that comes to mind is, the AK will be FAR more reliable and FAR outlive the truck that was purchased.
Wouldnt be the first time, ever wonder why the F86 Sabre and the MiG15 looked so simmilar? They were working off the same german plans and I have to get my book to get the model but they had a prototype design that looks very simmilar to the US and Russian models.

Originally Posted by cheezit
ak's here are sub $400. and very easy to find at the local "toy store"
I myself perfer a sks. maybe im strange
Lucky, around here you cant find them for under $800 just like the US M1`s. The AR-15`s here are even over $1,000 which is excessive I say but I guess if you want it you gotta pay.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:17 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

you may want to make a visit up north. or do a little shopping on line and have it transfered to your local ffl that is robbing you with a pen

Old 11-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cheezit
you may want to make a visit up north. or do a little shopping on line and have it transfered to your local ffl that is robbing you with a pen
Im planning on getting a FFL03 license so I can buy C&R eligable weapons.

Then I might be able to get an orignal AK-47 or Vz.58 from a gunshow cause the way I understand it all guns over the age of 50 years old is C&R eligable and some newer ones are if they obtain the C&R stamp.

But will just have to see, I ended up paying $220 for my 39 M91/30 but it was a refurbished unit by russia and it was in what I call mint condition with 99% of orignal blue remaining and a 85 - 90 % condition post war stock. Has some nicks and dings but overall very good to excellent condition.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
I have yet to see a AK jam.........
I have seen Russian army training films where a AK is tossed into a mud hole and run over by a small vehicle, the weapon is then fished out and the entire mag fired in full auto with no malfunction.
Seems the only way to stop one from firing is to kill its user.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
I have yet to see a AK jam.........
I have seen Russian army training films where a AK is tossed into a mud hole and run over by a small vehicle, the weapon is then fished out and the entire mag fired in full auto with no malfunction.
Seems the only way to stop one from firing is to kill its user.
Strange, I have heard reports of the possibility of a spent casing jamming in some cases. But I do know the AK is designed to fire in any condition with their large tolerances between parts. But I am still partial lto the Czech model though lol.

Ive also seen the M91/30 refered to as the bolt action version of the AK47 due to their reliability.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Rusty_S
Strange, I have heard reports of the possibility of a spent casing jamming in some cases. But I do know the AK is designed to fire in any condition with their large tolerances between parts. But I am still partial lto the Czech model though lol.

Ive also seen the M91/30 refered to as the bolt action version of the AK47 due to their reliability.
I have seen plenty of spec. ops US personnel carrying AK types in Afghanistan........pretty ironic, the US military trains troops in the use and maint. of the AK.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
I have seen plenty of spec. ops US personnel carrying AK types in Afghanistan........pretty ironic, the US military trains troops in the use and maint. of the AK.
I think its because the AR-15/M16 is more of a short range close combat style weapon and the ak with its larger 7.62mm round is better at longer ranges.