Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

My 20 + year 63 F250 4x4 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:32 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Looks like a good job with the welder!

Let the work on the truck begin!!

Old 03-05-2012, 01:43 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a senior moment or as I like to call them mind fart. I forgot to add the pic it should be there now. I see it let me know if not. Thanks for letting me know Ted. Yup a little more practice and on to the truck. It really is very easy once you get going. Just have to remember to check the end of the wire before going to the next weld if it has a chance to cool . If it has need to remember to cut the flux ball off the end of the wire. Other than that way easier than gas welding.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordman75
Looks like a good job with the welder!

Let the work on the truck begin!!
Hey Ted what are you still doing up? Im headed to bed check you tommorow. You better get some sleep. Take care.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Well about 4 weekends ago I was wandering through the local p and s. I found a rust free core support on a 61 uni that was there. I planned to go back that next weekend it was raining and blowing outside. Long story short every weekend after same weather story. I was worried someone would brave the elements to get this rust free specimen. Well when I went back finally I was surprised to see someone had taken both front fenders as they were as nice as the rad support. I was expecting to be there at lest 4 hours if not longer. It only took me 1 hr to get the support removed thanks to someones help. Here is the support

This is the one it will replace

If you look real close at the bottom edge of the support you can see where it is rusting thru in a few places. I figured I would be money and time ahead jjust to replace it. This old one held up pretty well it has been sitting for over 20years after being treated with rust inhibitor of the time and heavy paint with rustoleum poured in holes and brushed on or rollered on. I think it held up pretty well.

The uni the support came out of.

Shame it ended up in here it was a very good candidate for restoration. Well parts of it will live on at least.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Sweet score!!! In the picture your old one didn't look to bad. But since you found a rust free one that will save plenty of time.

Oh come on, you know you want to drag that Uni home and restore it!!! We all have seen what kind of magic you can work on those slick 60's!!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Sweet score!!! In the picture your old one didn't look to bad. But since you found a rust free one that will save plenty of time.

Oh come on, you know you want to drag that Uni home and restore it!!! We all have seen what kind of magic you can work on those slick 60's!!
Ya got me.... wish Id seen it before it got here. It would be under restoration or at a friends house waiting its turn.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:52 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Wow... nice project, Buzz44. I wasn't aware the you had a thread regarding this truck.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by KingBigJoe
Wow... nice project, Buzz44. I wasn't aware the you had a thread regarding this truck.
Thanks... Yeah kind of doing 2 trucks at once. I am still working on this one but sparingly as Im getting the 65 ready for a drive and show in a few weeks. When I have the 65 just about done for now its back to the 63 full steam starting with making repairs to the sheet metal to the cab, taking everything off of the frame and replacing or repairing parts and drivelines as needed. I will take frame to blaster and then paint and then reinstall from the ground up. I am still looking for the mythical 16" 8 lug innie wheels. I have 17.5" wheels but not planning on staying with those as rubber to fit those is very costly. Just shod the 65 with tall 16s and that was not cheap either at 16 add about $100 more a tire for the 17.5. Ah but I digress keep checking back as I am just about ready to start in on the 63 again.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
I know I know said I would be getting going on the 63 long before now. Well I went out to the garage the other day to get going on it. This is what I was facing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vic-63-65/8143746183/http://www.flickr.com/photos/vic-63-65/8143746183/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/vic-63-65/, on Flickr

Turned around and went back in the house. Ill try and dig it out this weekend sometime. What the hey I have all winter to work on it now.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:50 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Man that looks clean and organized compared to my garage! That may explain why I haven't dragged my 54 cab out this year.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:20 AM
75Three90
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love these 60's truck me and dad had a chance to buy a 64 swb straight six three on the tree when i was 14 but passed it up cause we used the money to finish our 1950 f2 hot rod but i may need to get some advice from you since your alot older than me and have been dealing with fords longer im only 21 and im restoring a 1978 f150 and i want to throw it on a bronco frame cause i found and running driving 86 bronco for 400 bucks with no title i want your advice on it, im sorry im not trying to hijack your thread i was just hoping you could give me some very much needed advice i love the work your doing on both of the trucks im a fan of flat beds. ive read all five pages and its rare for a guy to keep a truck as long as you have ive had my 78 since 08 and its been in family since 84 again im not meaning to hijack your thred

Old 11-08-2012, 02:35 AM
Jo00di
New User
I liked the truck I was just too young, too dumb and too broke to do anything with it.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 75Three90
I love these 60's truck me and dad had a chance to buy a 64 swb straight six three on the tree when i was 14 but passed it up cause we used the money to finish our 1950 f2 hot rod but i may need to get some advice from you since your alot older than me and have been dealing with fords longer im only 21 and im restoring a 1978 f150 and i want to throw it on a bronco frame cause i found and running driving 86 bronco for 400 bucks with no title i want your advice on it, im sorry im not trying to hijack your thread i was just hoping you could give me some very much needed advice i love the work your doing on both of the trucks im a fan of flat beds. ive read all five pages and its rare for a guy to keep a truck as long as you have ive had my 78 since 08 and its been in family since 84 again im not meaning to hijack your thred
Hi I dont mind if the younger generations asks me questions. If you dont ask questions you dont learn. First thing to do before you put any time into moving your 78 onto a frame with not title is to check with your state to see what you must do to get a title for that vin or how it works in your state. I know in Washington state where I am if your vehical is not titled and been off the grid for 7 years trying to get it retitiled you will have to clear some hurddles with the state. And from the state counter person I was told may be darn near impossiible. So I would check that out first. Next on moving your 2wd drive truck to a newer 86 bronco frame. Sorry I can only tell you that I know nothing about some of the newer trucks. Im guessing and this is just a guess that you will be in for alot of fab work as there will probably differences in frame width and length. Beyound that I honestly dont have any idea. I usually restore rebuilt or repair what originaly came on a vehical so have never restomoded or fabed up on year to another. Ted who reads and posts hear may know a little more about the newer ford trucks than I do and he may chime in Im not sure. Ted is fordman75. Not trying to chase you away but you might also ask your question in the forum for your particular year on this site or the bronco forumn may be someone there that has attempted to do what you are proposing to do and may very well have an answer for you. Best of luck wish I could be of more help to you Robert. Good luck with it.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jo00di
I liked the truck I was just too young, too dumb and too broke to do anything with it.
Pic didnt open for me Jo000di. Hey I think we have all been there. I had two chevells that got away. One a SS and the other a Malibu. Oh well cant cry over spilled milk as they say its gone its gone.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Man that looks clean and organized compared to my garage! That may explain why I haven't dragged my 54 cab out this year.
Yeah but your just seeing one part of it Ted. What you cant see may hurt you. Pretty messed up tools and parts scattered from one end to the other. I do have to get that remedied this weekend. Time to buckle down and get busy. Summers over. When I warm the garage up I will still enjoy a cold beer in there at least take care man.

Quick Reply: My 20 + year 63 F250 4x4 rebuild