6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-03-2014, 08:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 01:36 PM
rickbrad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$800 seems ridiculous for what it is. I wonder if I tried to reverse-engineer the part if there would be a market for it at $300 (just for the part). The installation is simple as the mounting holes are already in the hitch. Does anyone know if the holes were the hitch on any years before 2015?

Would anyone perform the TSB themselves out of warranty if the part was more affordable? I'm not so much after this for profit as I am because I think what Ford is doing is wrong. If they knew enough about it to put the holes there so it could be installed "as needed", and they are putting it on all new 172 WB trucks, they should
update folks who can exhibit the problem.

I'm not sure there are enough 8 ft beds out there to get the quantities high enough to get the cost of the part down to a target of $300. But there are 750 posts on this thread!

What do y'all think?

Old 02-19-2017, 05:32 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The issue is on swb trucks as well. There are a lot of guys using traction bars to solve torque issues with the rear suspension. At the 800 dollar threshold you are at almost the cost of traction bars that would have added benifits over a osilation damper. Which is why i was asking. I have the hop in mu lwb cc truck. My wife complains about it if i drive in the 40-50mph range. I generally gust go above the speed. Im in warranty currently and likely could get the device installed under warranty but it would probably still have some deductible attached to it.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:12 PM
rickbrad
Senior User
I just had it done for $0. Are you talking about the Ford 36 month/36,000 mile warranty or an extended warranty? It makes a big difference. Even if you do it for the cost of a deductible it will make her very happy.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
My 2016 has less than 5k miles. Should be under the b2b warranty then.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:00 PM
rickbrad
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979
My 2016 has less than 5k miles. Should be under the b2b warranty then.
Let us know if you have the same success I did. It does not completely disappear, but it made a HUGE difference on my ride!

Old 02-19-2017, 08:06 PM
Chris Stewart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I've been working with dealerships and shops on my CCLB since 2012 and concede it will never be fixed. Characteristic of this truck. So I roll around with 500# of cinder blocks in the back, and that softens it enough to live with. My dealership would not even do the TSB, so I would have to pay out of pocket. I'd rather light it on fire lol.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Give this a watch. I cannot find the specific superduty one but this kinda shows the axle wrap and movement and shows how the traction bars remedy this.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:52 PM
rickbrad
Senior User
Somewhere way back in this thread someone mentioned this Sulastic Shackle. I sure would like to hear from someone who has actually installed one of these.

Sulastic. Leaf Spring Shackle

Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 PM
nic48
New User
I just had a pair of these installed today! NO MORE BOUNCING!!!!!!!!! WHOOOP WHOOP!!!!!

Old 07-31-2017, 07:42 PM
rickbrad
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
I've been working with dealerships and shops on my CCLB since 2012 and concede it will never be fixed. Characteristic of this truck. So I roll around with 500# of cinder blocks in the back, and that softens it enough to live with. My dealership would not even do the TSB, so I would have to pay out of pocket. I'd rather light it on fire lol.

Is the bounce gone on the 2017? I can't wait to get one, but I will probably get a 2019 in 2020, lol.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:46 AM
jayh29560
New User
nic48, I have been debating these for a while. I am glad to hear it fixed your problem. What year and model is your ford ?

Old 08-14-2017, 12:05 PM
poorboy08
4wd Low
I just read through about 80% of this thread...WOW!

I recently just purchased a 2014 CCSB F250 6.2l with 18" wheels and 35" BFGs. The truck had 106,000 miles on it and was WELL taken care of. Interior was in excellent condition and my mechanic looked it over very well and it had not been wrenched on or wrecked etc. We took it out for a test drive and I did notice it had a bounce, which both myself and my mechanic blamed on the fairly worn BFG's. After getting the wheel and tire combo road force balanced I still noticed it had the same problem, although the tech that did the balance did say that none of the wheel and tire combos passed the road force balance and he did get them as close as he could without breaking the tire down and rotating it on the wheel.

NOW, as I've been driving this thing around I have been thinking to myself that I have never felt anything like this with an un-balanced wheel/tire and that is when I did a little search on the interwebs and found this thread. What a F @ C K I N G $H17 show!

I'm really hoping I can at least reduce the amount of up and down oscillation at around 45 - 50 mph. I do need new tires...IDK, but this thread has me really bummed.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:52 PM
GregWork
Junior User
Originally Posted by rickbrad
Somewhere way back in this thread someone mentioned this Sulastic Shackle. I sure would like to hear from someone who has actually installed one of these.

Sulastic. Leaf Spring Shackle
I installed these on my 2012 CCLB FX4 20" Factory Wheels because the ride quality was too harsh for my tastes.

The Good:
They tamed down the ride harshness by about 40-50%

The Bad:
They did nothing to fix the Super Duty Hop.
Which comes from a harmonic standing wave in the "C" frame set up from hitting pavement joints at just the right frequency (e.g. certain speed vs. joint distance). The weight of the factory hitch at the furthest point back on the frame exacerbates this flex.

To get rid of another 50% of the ride harshness I installed Fox 2.0 Performance IFP shocks. Now since I did the Sulastic first and left them on, I can't really say how much the Fox would have done by themselves/ alone. Together, the ride is quite nice. It still rides much better with 2,000# in the bed, but this is acceptable from a harshness quality.

The hop is not acceptable. Mine exhibits from about 65-75 mph.

You can get this TSB part for about $490 online. I'm way out of warranty, so I may go this route, as I really don't like the hop right in the sweet spot of freeway travel.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:28 PM
Wrighton
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Yep... past the 3/36 bumper to bumper and no help from 4 different S.W. Washington area Ford Dealerships. No way in hell will I pay $800 for two brackets to be installed, especially when I'm told it might not help.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:26 PM
rickbrad
Senior User
Originally Posted by GregWork
I installed these on my 2012 CCLB FX4 20" Factory Wheels because the ride quality was too harsh for my tastes.

The Good:
They tamed down the ride harshness by about 40-50%

The Bad:
They did nothing to fix the Super Duty Hop.
Which comes from a harmonic standing wave in the "C" frame set up from hitting pavement joints at just the right frequency (e.g. certain speed vs. joint distance). The weight of the factory hitch at the furthest point back on the frame exacerbates this flex.

To get rid of another 50% of the ride harshness I installed Fox 2.0 Performance IFP shocks. Now since I did the Sulastic first and left them on, I can't really say how much the Fox would have done by themselves/ alone. Together, the ride is quite nice. It still rides much better with 2,000# in the bed, but this is acceptable from a harshness quality.

The hop is not acceptable. Mine exhibits from about 65-75 mph.

You can get this TSB part for about $490 online. I'm way out of warranty, so I may go this route, as I really don't like the hop right in the sweet spot of freeway travel.
Please if you do install the TSB part let us know how much it improves it with the Sulastic Shock. I have the TSB but not the Sulastic. The TSB helps, but it does not eleminate the hop. There are still speeds that the truck exhibits the behavior, but mine cruises quite smooth at 75 mph. Often times I drive my 2002 Lexus with 194K miles on it just because the truck ride is just too stiff. I think the Sulastic might give gains on that order. I look at speed bumps with dread...

Quick Reply: Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH