6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-03-2014, 08:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, we ran the pressure at 55lbs; however, the pressure sensors aren't happy with the reduced air pressure. You will have to press "OK" to the Tire Pressure warning message every time you start the vehicle if the pressure isn't the minimum. Don't let this thread keep you from getting one of these beasts.

Originally Posted by chris60
I am about to order one of these trucks -4x4 crew short box. Has anyone dropped the rear tire pressure down to 50-55psi when empty & tryed it? If there is a tire pressure monitor, I know it won't be happy, but that's what I run empty with my 2000 F350.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:26 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been lurking around this thread but have not posted. While I have not had this issue so far with my truck, I am following along. The patience shown to date with Thom and Champ has been remarkable. It appears that if you push back, something moves...

Good Luck

Old 12-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Well I got back from the dealership, and as I expected, the service manager basicly said there is nothing else they can do for me unless a TSB is released about it. So I just sent an email to Customer care center. I kept it short because I know I am P.O.'ed and did not want to make it too nasty. Here is my letter.

"Is it true that the 2011 F-350 long bed has an uncurible "nature of the beast" violent rear end bounce at 43 MPH designed into it? That is what a field service engineer claims about my truck. Refer to the posts in these link for specifics:
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f152/rear-end-bounces-40-45-mph-269630/

here is a second link:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1009886-rear-end-bounces-40-45-mph.html

As you can see by the above links, that my issue is not "fleet wide" on the 2011 Super duty longbeds.
I for one, do not believe that it is not fixable and I do not accept that as a final answer to the problem with my truck.
My dealership's service manager has been top notch in attempting to resolve this issue, just to have a field service engineer shrug thier shoulders and say its the nature of the beast. UNACCEPTIBLE! Is this in fact the Ford Motor Company's final answer on the issue?"

Thank you,
Thom

We shall see...
P.S. Oh I almost forgot, the service manager did take me for a ride in the only other long bed they had on the lot. As soon as he pulled out of the lot I got to experiance first hand the tranny hesitation many have complained about, first time I have seen that... guess they need to flash that truck soon (don't know when it was made). Anyway, it took a while to find a spot to go fast enough but this truck started bouncing constantly at about 52-55 mph. So now there are 5 trucks that I know of that bounce, and two are from the same dealership...

Old 12-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Gee amgine my surprise, I received a standard response ... hopefully more details will follow but I am not holding my breath at this time. In all fairness to my service manager who has been superb, I deleted the dealerships name from the response prior to posting this:

Dear Thom,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company regarding the concern on your 2011 Ford F-350.

I do apologize for the unpleasant circumstances this situation might have caused you. I sincerely understand your frustrations that is why I am going to assist you with this the best that I can. First, let me acknowledge your concern and inform you that we are currently working on your problem. Although this might cause some delay, we will discuss and verify your issue with (dealership's name) Ford. For now, I ask for your patience on this matter.

Sincerely,
Christie
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 PM
allen04
Freshman User
THOM12 I have one of those F-350 bouncing S.D. also . Lowered my rear tire pressure to 70 lbs helped some. Also went to tractor supply and bought a poly tool box to keep my stuff in. the extra weight helped the most but there in something amiss here. Have all options except diesel. Took drive shaft myself and took it to have it checked for balance they said that it was fine. I worked for Ford for 33 years at the Louisville Assembly Plant. And when some of the vehicles came off the rolls some had a vibration or other strange thing wrong. We would put the vehicle up on the hoist so we could run the vehicle with tires off the ground. You would be amazed what you could find with the truck not carrying any weight. Has anyone tried this yet

Old 12-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
Highway

Thom,

I know it was asked somewhere in the thread, never saw the answer.

Please describe the highway at exhibits this issue.
All roads at xxx speed

Concrete highways (freeways) in general, or only specific highways.

I know my unit (2000 CC Long bed) has a lot of hop on Concrete highways, poured poorly, with section lengths that cause front up / front down, back up /back down in such a way, I think I'm riding a horse. But, only on these sections, and everytime on these sections only. Otherwise it's perfect

Y2KPSD

Last edited by Y2KPSD; 12-10-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Fixed font, sorry
Old 12-11-2010, 02:22 AM
sncbluegt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Y2KPSD
Thom,

I know it was asked somewhere in the thread, never saw the answer.

Please describe the highway at exhibits this issue.
All roads at xxx speed

Concrete highways (freeways) in general, or only specific highways.

I know my unit (2000 CC Long bed) has a lot of hop on Concrete highways, poured poorly, with section lengths that cause front up / front down, back up /back down in such a way, I think I'm riding a horse. But, only on these sections, and everytime on these sections only. Otherwise it's perfect

Y2KPSD
This is exactly what I currently experience on my long bed (drives me INSANE)...my short bed was not near as bad but still there. However my problems were at highway speed 65-80. It seems to me that it has to be some kind of balancing issue...thats all it can be for something like this to happen at his speeds...if it was the same thing due to road conditions it would just be a rough ride not a violent bouncing...in my opinion!

Old 12-11-2010, 02:26 AM
sncbluegt
Senior User
To reiterate (sp)...is it possible the drivetrain is sitting at a slight angle and causing the ujoints to be put in a bind and therefore the vibration traveling down the line. Maybe this could be corrected by the engine mounts and transmission mounts and trans crossmember loosened and then somehow checked and straightened to maybe correct a possible ujoint binding. I say this because in the boating world if the ujoints are in a bind you can feel a serious vibration that feels like the transom is about to fall out.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Thom12
Senior User
Y2K,
It matters not what type or age of road surface I drive it on, new roads or old but around here they are all asphalt (no concrete freeways for 30 miles from me). It is definately speed related. At exactly 40 mph I start to feel a slight bounce, at 43 it gets violent, at 45 its like you turn a switch off...stops instantly.

Allen04, I had planned on putting it up on the lift today but the wife informed me I am hooking up my 5'er and going to Georgia for the weekend so that will have to wait. By the way, I love everything else about this truck that ya'll built up there at KTP... awsome job.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Dave XLT
New User
Dave XLT F350 ext cab long box

I would elimanate the thinking it's a tire balance and have them check further. Bounce is not normal at any speed. I have had two 350 super duty trucks and no bounce with eather. Tire presure should not make a differance unless on a ruff road. I can't beleve a dealer would tell you it is normal. Time for a different dealer and to call custermer service.
Good luck get a different truck out of them if they can't fix it.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Thom12
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dave XLT
I would elimanate the thinking it's a tire balance and have them check further. Bounce is not normal at any speed. I have had two 350 super duty trucks and no bounce with eather. Tire presure should not make a differance unless on a ruff road. I can't beleve a dealer would tell you it is normal. Time for a different dealer and to call custermer service.
Good luck get a different truck out of them if they can't fix it.
Dave,
It's not the dealer as much as the factory service engineer who said it was normal. The dealership has tried everything tyhat the factory hot line has directed them to do. My service manager is just as frustrated as I am because he knows its not normal.

And then I get this reply from Customer Relationship Center today:

Dear Thom,

My name is Christie with Ford's Customer Relationship Center. I received your e-mail regarding the vibration concern on your 2011 Ford F-350.

Our records indicate that on December 10, 2010, our Customer Service Representative contacted your Ford dealership and spoke with Service Manager James. According to Service Manager James, he test drove the vehicle with you as well as another vehicle of the same year, make and model and realized it was doing the exact same thing. Unfortunately once again, the vehicle was operating within normal specification of Ford. If you need further assistance, we invite you to speak with Service Manager James. Please feel free to reach him at (850) XXX-XXXX.
I apologize if I am unable to provide you an answer that you can be satisfied with. However, at this time we are unable to provide you with an alternate response. If any additional information regarding this matter should become available in the future, please let us know.

Sincerely,
Christie
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Old 12-13-2010, 02:17 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Customer service responses like this irritate me.
It's as if they don't read/comprehend what they type.

My understanding: "Hi, we contacted your SM who said the problem does exist so we suggest you contact your SM if you have further concerns ref. this problem because it's normal."

WHAT???

Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Thom12
Senior User
LOL... Thanks for the interpatation... I thought thats what she meant but wasn't sure.... the good news is I didn't have to "press 1" to read that gibberish in english.

Also this weekend I made a 600 mile round trip to Georgia and did not feel the bounce once... I wonder if the 12.5K fifth wheel I had strapped to my back had anything to do with no bounce...

Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 PM
toypuller
Senior User
I would suggest that every communication you have with Ford or the dealership from this point forward be in writing.

Send your letters certified with a return receipt requested.

Get every service record and keep copies of everything.

Good luck.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Thom12
LOL... Thanks for the interpatation... I thought thats what she meant but wasn't sure.... the good news is I didn't have to "press 1" to read that gibberish in english.

Also this weekend I made a 600 mile round trip to Georgia and did not feel the bounce once... I wonder if the 12.5K fifth wheel I had strapped to my back had anything to do with no bounce...

I can over Donner Summit today (I80 from Sacramento) a Chevy Dually traveling next to me, hit some rough road (very rough) , his rear end was air borne for seveal hops.
He either need weight, or lower TP....

He them slowed down No more 80+ mph

Quick Reply: Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH