6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-03-2014, 08:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 AM
toypuller
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell them you want a vibration analysis done to the truck.

They can place sensors on the vehicle that will pinpoint the issue. I had this done on my 05 F-250 that has had a mid-truck, 48 mph, hop since it was new. The service manager at a local dealer duplicated the issue, agreed with the severity of the problem and did extensive vibration testing. He sent the results to Ford's engineers as he had 2 new trucks come back with the same issue.

End result was no fix.

Just be ready when Ford tells you that the condition is "Normal" and is just a characteristic of a HD truck.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:18 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
be ready with some ammo... my truck does not have this "bounce". If mine doesn't have it, and lots of other trucks don't have it... then it's not "normal". If I was in your position, I'd fight Ford on this one.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:38 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
My srw long bed cc fx4 6.7 psd does not have it...just to add to the list.
Btw my vote is for the driveshaft assy or pinion angle! I would add torque converter shutter but you said it doesnt matter what gear it is in.....If you get a chance drive the truck at said speed with your foot lightly on the brake pedal while still accelerating (this will unlock the converter) to rule out the converter....next check the ujoints and pinion angle then move on to the driveshaft assy.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Thanks for all the great inputs! I value all of these including the ones who say thier truck doesn't do it.... that helps my cause alot! Interesting, I may start a poll and see just how many SDs do have the SD bounce....

Todays updates:
1) Took 4 tires/wheels of new truck (second time) didn't fix it. contacted engineers again.
2) Replaced both drive shaft sections and carrier bear. didn't fix it again. contacted engineers again.
3) Installed vibration monitoring equipment and captured the vibes. 7.4 hz, 14.8 hz, and 81.4 all recorded with ~.05g's. These are definately some sort of harmonics...just need to figure out what is causing them. Sent data to engineers and awaiting response.

Everything they have changed only leaves two areas in the rear of the truck... shocks/springs and rear end/axles. (and sncbluegt's input which I saw after posting my update, thanks)

Last edited by Thom12; 11-23-2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added last line
Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Thom12
Thanks for all the great inputs! I value all of these including the ones who say thier truck doesn't do it.... that helps my cause alot! Interesting, I may start a poll and see just how many SDs do have the SD bounce....

Todays updates:
1) Took 4 tires/wheels of new truck (second time) didn't fix it. contacted engineers again.
2) Replaced both drive shaft sections and carrier bear. didn't fix it again. contacted engineers again.
3) Installed vibration monitoring equipment and captured the vibes. 7.4 hz, 14.8 hz, and 81.4 all recorded with ~.05g's. These are definately some sort of harmonics...just need to figure out what is causing them. Sent data to engineers and awaiting response.

Everything they have changed only leaves two areas in the rear of the truck... shocks/springs and rear end/axles. (and sncbluegt's input which I saw after posting my update, thanks)
Is this a long bed?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Ever since I picked up my truck (350 6.7, c/c, srw, lb) I get a "bounce" in the back of the truck right at 40 mph and it stops right at 45 mph. My first thought was that I have a bad tire. I have 18" Continental A/S tires on it. The bounce gets progressively worse if I stay between 40-45 mph but clears right up if I slow down or speed up out of that speed range.
This week I took the truck in because of the change oil light came on with only ~1200 miles since oil change. I finally remembered to tell the service department about the bounce. They had my truck for 3 full days and all they have managed to do is confirm my complaint, not fix it. They road pressure balanced the tires 3 times and they still had the bounce. They called the Ford hotline and were told to take the tires off of a brand new lot truck and see how they were. The bounce is still there with the brand new tires.
The bounce is unaffected by rate of excelleration or gear the tranny is in... it just happens at 40-45 mph no matter if I drive like my granny or a jack rabbit. I have heard comments like "its the nature of the beast" but I don't think so.
I took my truck back for the weekend but the tech is waiting on another reply from the hotline as to what to do next.
Since the new tires didn't help my next guess is the drive shaft or rear end since it is definately speed related.
I just realized that I don't think I notice it when I am hauling my 5'er but I am not 100% sure about that.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Thom

2011 F350 6.7L PSD C/C SRW long bed w/ 5'er package.

Yes as stated in my OP (not trying to be sarcastic, the board would not let me respond with a simple "yes", had to be 10 charictors before it will allow the post...think I got 10 now )

Old 11-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Yes as stated in my OP (not trying to be sarcastic, the board would not let me respond with a simple "yes", had to be 10 charictors before it will allow the post...think I got 10 now )
I was afraid of that. The previous body style had this same issue. It was a harmonic in the frame that usually could not be fixed. I wish you luck on this one. Many were told they had to live with it.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
Just to throw this out there....I have had similar problems in the past with mustangs. If ford does not fix it and you figure you will have to take it into your own hands and possibly hand over the bill to ford when you get it figured out...take the truck to a "high performance" suspension shop where they use lasers to get the suspension right on hot rods...gather as much info as you can as to where the specs are suppose to be and try that...in my years at dealerships I have only found one tech that had tools like that and its because he has 250k race car that ran 7s.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:21 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
I can't believe! a same problem like on my 2006 F350 still have on new 2011 Superdutys

Old 11-23-2010, 11:27 PM
sandyc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My F350 does not bounce at any speed or gear. It was built the first week of Oct.. Possibly the build date has something to do with it. Several others here have the same problem and it would interesting to know when they were built. Just curious.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Thom12
Senior User
Mine was built last week in May. But I really think it has more to do with the long bed, once it starts bouncing it gets progressively worse until you go faster or slower.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:30 AM
katiesdad7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back in the mid 90's I had a F250 with the same issue. After about 20 trips to the dealer, who was able to reproduce the problem, and a few set of new tires on Ford, it was traced to the drive shaft. They sent it out to a drive shaft place and never had the problem again. FWIW i had a big heavy Reading box on the rear so lack of weight in the bed was not an issue.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Champ198
Elder User
I have a short bed crew cab. Mine will shake your internal organs at prolonged constant speed of 50mph. (my wheels have been balanced twice) It will go to another dealer (where I bought it) next week, just haven't had a chance to get it to the folks I bought it from (I live over two hours away from them). I spoke to them yesterday, they assured me they will get to the bottom of it. Anyway, there is a serious problem with the truck.

This is one of those problems where a dealer can just throw up their arms and say "that's a characteristic of the truck" and send you packing. They told me I needed to just put alot of weight in the bed and I'd be fine. (Which the Ford dealer in Lebanon TN did) I know it will take several trips to the right dealer, patience, and back & forth with Ford. It's like fighting cancer, you've got to commit to the diagnosis & treatment, find the right doctor, and not accept the diagnosis as terminal with no treatment options.

Thom12, please keep us posted as I will do.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:07 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
driveshaft is sounding more and more likely... I'd ask them specifically to check its balance. Worst case scenario, I think it's less than a couple hundred bucks to have it balanced yourself. might be worth it just to save you all the time and effort fighting the clueless dealer

Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Thom12
Senior User
I was with you all about the drive shafts being the culprit until yesterday when they changed both shafts and the carrier bearing as directed by the engineers. It did not change a thing. same vibs at the same speeds.

Called the dealer this morning and told them I want my truck for the long weekend and he informed me that Ford is sending down an engineering team next week to investigate.

At least they are not blowing it off (for now anyway) as the nature of the beast.

Thom

Quick Reply: Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH