1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 F100 Sheet Matal Assembly Sequence?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 11:51 AM
rchassie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 56 F100 Sheet Matal Assembly Sequence?

Most Excellent Ford Truck Enthusiasts,

I have front end sheet metal most body work done and in base primer. Am ready to do a test assembly of all front end sheet metal. Then will take apart for finsih bodywork and painting.

Bought the project completely dissassembled so I do not have benefit of having taken it apart.

Can anyone tell me the correct "step-by-step" sequence of front end sheet metal assmembly to best assure the optimum ability for fit and adjustment? Or can someone direct me to where it has already been set out. Must be laid out somewhere- since thousnads have done it before me? I have the shop manual- but it covers removal and replacement of a component part- not the assembly from scratch.

My feeble so far thinks this would be the sequence.

1. Radiator support.
2. Inner fenders to cab.
3. Air side deflectors to radiator support and front end of inner fenders.
4. Top of radiator hood lock support panel.
5. Outer fender to inner fender.
6. Place bracket for fender support rods (rod that extends from front two inner fender holes back to firewall) and install the two bolts that bolt together the front of inner fender/outer fender/hood lock support panel and fender support rod brackets.
7. Connect fender support rods to firewall.
8. Mount gravel pan (aka splash guard) to outer fender and air side deflectors.
9. Loose mount grille (contains headlamp assemblies).
10. Mount parking lamp assemblies.
11. Mount hood.

Can you set me straight?? Better sequence than above? Have I forgot something??

Also- best to mount hood last or before mount gravel pan/ grille and parking lamps??

Will be much obliged.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2003, 09:10 AM
Kai
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 56 F100 Sheet Matal Assembly Sequence?

Ron, ... I have just done that on my 54 a couple of month ago. I read thru your list twice and would say that you got it all right. However, I have not yet mounted the support rods as I don't have 'em. I will make my own brackets and my own rods sometime this spring/summer. Also my hood is still off.

I remember that installing the sheetmetal was really easy. I did it all on my own without a third or fourth hand. I also had no instructions. I just started with what made the most sense. No problem. Not a single scratch or ding. I used all S/S bolts and nuts from a really good guy here on the forum who sells them in kits (takes all the guess work out of the job). The only part which I had problems on to get all bolts in super easy was the splash shield, which has to allign with more than just one of the other parts. However, I got 'em all in. I just say it was not a drop in for some of the bolts.

See my web site with a few pics of my front:

http://www.ford.gmxhome.de

Good Luck !!!

Old 03-03-2003, 12:53 PM
rchassie
Junior User

Thanks Kai,

I also posted same inquiry on the 48-60 forum on same date. Just a headsup for you to check out response I received from CID - since you have not yet mounted your hood. From CID's response, sounds like fit of exterior front end sheet metal revolves around the hood.

Old 03-03-2003, 04:40 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Ron

You are correct, the hood really drives the front sheetmetal adjustment process. Takes a couple rotations through to get it right. I would recommend a test fit while in primer, though it is sure a time-consuming process. I understand the pros do it that way.

Old 03-04-2003, 10:11 PM
rchassie
Junior User

Kai,

Sorry. I intended to tell you I also posted message to the Bodywork forum- same date 2/28. That is where CID sets out the hood/outer fender fitting sequence. Good luck.