Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2010, 12:48 PM
New User

kxkid661 is starting off with a positive reputation.
inline 300 4.9 porting with pics pro porting

here are some instructions for the do it do it yourself at home porting specific to 4.9 inline 300 six, some shops get up to 1000 dollars to port this head ,it likes to eat up your bits, i went through 20 dollars worth of bits in the day it took to port this head . if you follow the pictures and instructions here you can pick up a nice power / torque boost and have a more efficient motor

velocity porting we want to keep the air speed up for torque ,keep the runners the same size runners are the passages.. from the manifold intake and exhaust manifold mounting surface to just before the bowls do not enlarge smooth the bump in center of the runner ceiling and casting marks to the side called Blending runners.

intake and exhaust bowls etc have thin metal to much porting and you will hit water

Click the image to open in full size.

the goal with porting is to mold to ease restriction from the curves in port ,ideally if this 4.9 intake port was more of a perfect performance shape it would look like the traced outline in the lower pic.

porting 4.9 intake thin intake guide boss blend and smooth bowl smooth and straighten flow .stay away from floor/ceiling when porting this area

intake smooth and remove bumps from short side see pic ,the idea here is less of a sharp turn for the air and fuel to valve ..should look like the picture below when finished

[IMG][IMG][IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

exhaust port below thin walls floor .etc if you remove to much here in the upper exhaust port guide area /bowl or runner you will have a hole to the coolant passages thin metal,just port out the .....thermector bump see pic... to be safe leave the rest in the exhaust port alone
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

good luck porting happy holidays

if anyone needs porting service PM me

Last edited by kxkid661; 11-12-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: ditto
Old 11-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Postmaster

Harte3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Harte3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nice...just the kind of stuff I like to see.
1983 F150 300 I6, Comp Cam 260h and lifter kit, Port/Polished head, Offy DP Manifold, Holley 4160/1848-1 465 cfm, EFI Exhaust manifolds, Walker Y Pipe to 3-Way Cat, generic Turbo Muffler, Recurved DSII, Mallory HyFire 6a & ACCEL Super Stock Coil, Taylor Spiro Pro Wires, EFI plugs.
"It'll put out what ever it puts out." fordman75
Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 PM
New User

montes57 is starting off with a positive reputation.
looks great. did you airflow bench test it prior to doing the work? Was wondering if that was possible so you can see your results after the fact. What type of bits were you using? I tumbled onto this site carbidebur.com seemed cool for ordering bits. Mind breaking down what bits you used, in order if possible? Is it important to port match the efi manifolds and runners from the intake to the head? what do you do in the valve seat area?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:23 PM
New User

i recommend stones ...the steel carbide burr can cut to fast and then you will have a boat anchor ..no the efi manifold will not benefit from port matching to the head the manifold should stay smaller than opening at the head mounting surface ,the restriction there is the area inside the efi manifold ,needs to be cut open to enlarge it see pic Click the image to open in full size.

remove the bump in the ceiling of the intake runner only ..if you look in to the intake port from the window and use a flat ruler to find the hi and low spots remove the high spots in the runner .leave the gasket area alone smooth if you want , here is a article on the bowl area if you open up the bowl to much its a costly mistake

Porting Volume | Popular Hot Rodding Magazine Article at Automotive.com

Cylinder Head Porting Basics - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine
Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 PM
New User

there is lot of flow to be had by deshrouding valves here is some information

Valve Shrouding

Ford GT40P Intake Port
Old 11-13-2010, 04:46 PM

AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey Kxkid,
Thanks for all of the information and help. This is great stuff, especially for those (like me) who plan on doing it at home.

I have a request though, and nothing personal. Could you clean up your writing a little bit? This type of information is very very specific and mistakes are costly, and your writing is rather difficult to understand. Again, nothing personal, I'm just having a difficult time understanding some of your explanations due to punctuation, etc., and I know it's good information that needs to be followed specifically.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:33 AM
New User

montes57 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i just printed out all those articles! cant wait to sit on my **** and take them in. I gotta lot to learn and this will help. Thank you to the both of you. When i get knowledge in the matter i can then decide if it is for me or farm out. Leaning on DIY. I enjoy my garage time. Its a killer winter project. Heat and beers and my ipod! I'll throw the honey do list right in the trash can!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:21 AM
Postmaster

muscletruck7379 has a good reputation on FTE.muscletruck7379 has a good reputation on FTE.muscletruck7379 has a good reputation on FTE.
look like a good job was done on those heads! any more pics? I would love to see some taken from looking down the ports. do you have any numbers as far as volume, cross section, or flow numbers?

also are there any more pictures on the cutaways for the 300's head? preferably one of each that you can see the entire port profile?

and I'm not sure about the intake... for dual throttle bodys it would be alright, but not optimal, and less so if it was used with non progressive two barrels (as far as street duty in a truck). I would personally add about an inch to the sides to increase the volume, and make a good raised radius on the ports and get them up off the floor of the plenum, the floor in that plenum is flat as can be and will hold alold of stagnent air. essentially making the port act alot smaller
1984 mercury capri, 5.0 conversion, my little monster...
1961 ford falcon, all stock, in family since '68
Old 04-18-2011, 01:31 AM
New User

Click the image to open in full size.Sounds like you are on the right track with the intake,i am currently working on a jaguar S porting project... the truck is only used for hauling bikes to the track,being i am in california gas price here at about 4.50 per gallon... out of all the porting mods deshrouding of the intake by far made the best torque .... good luck
Old 04-18-2011, 01:55 AM
Senior User

jem44357 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post
Hey Kxkid,
Thanks for all of the information and help. This is great stuff, especially for those (like me) who plan on doing it at home.

I have a request though, and nothing personal. Could you clean up your writing a little bit? This type of information is very very specific and mistakes are costly, and your writing is rather difficult to understand. Again, nothing personal, I'm just having a difficult time understanding some of your explanations due to punctuation, etc., and I know it's good information that needs to be followed specifically.
2X on the clean up. If I had prior knowledge or an unassembled head sitting in front of me I think it would make more sense.

Thanks for sharing.
Jim
2-93 4.9LEFI 5spd 150's to be-nazTeeruck Chopped/lowered 93 Ford F150. 4w Wildwood disc breaks. Dual fuel C3H8/C8H18. Turbo. Dual exhaust. 5spd. Complete rollbar bucketseats w/5 point restraint. Shortbox on longbox frame with diamond plate cover w/wing. C8H18fuel cell in da box. Diamond plate box between box&cab to hold 100lb. C3H8 tank. Front fuel filler door for C3H8/rear C8H18. Nastruck tires and wheels*DEBUT2020DetroitAutorama*/92F1504wd/FFR MK3 Roadster 78 309i6 TCI AODE/Clifford intake Weber DCOE's 45mm 3x2/04 mustang/09GMC
Old 04-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Elder User

f100jim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I doubt the OP did any flow bench testing. These pictures and information are all copied from various posts over on fordsix.com. The first two pictures, for example, were posted by the Frenchtown Flyer, the other were posted by various others.

Perhaps kxkid661 is none other than sam2007 who trolled the fordsix.com big six forum until he was banned? Just wondering.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 PM
New User

82Blue is starting off with a positive reputation.
He rides a k put number here) and661 is a gear company that I too am sponsored by
Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 PM