6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Am I not using SYNC to its full capability?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I not using SYNC to its full capability?

I have a Lariat without navigation. In my opinion SYNC sucks! I have been using my ipod through the USB port and this way you can't manual operate the ipod. Half the time SYNC doesn't understand english. I don't need SYNC directions because I have GPS units. To top it off, using the phone through the speakers sucks as well. You can't hear the other party very well. I bought the truck off the lot so I didn't order SYNC as an option, but since I have it I try and use it. Worthless.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:52 PM
11350KINGRANCH
Senior User
I have no problems with mine. I just have to spend some more time reading the manual on it.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:56 PM
1994F2507.3L
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
you don't need to control the ipod manually thats the point of it so your not distracted driving... use the controls on the wheel that's why they are there and if you can't hear the people on the phone well then turn the volume up also have you made sure your speaker volume is up on your phone itself it makes a difference same as with the ipod if the volume is down on the ipod it will be down on the sync system too.... i have it and love it works flawlessly

Old 11-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1994F2507.3L
you don't need to control the ipod manually thats the point of it so your not distracted driving... use the controls on the wheel that's why they are there and if you can't hear the people on the phone well then turn the volume up also have you made sure your speaker volume is up on your phone itself it makes a difference same as with the ipod if the volume is down on the ipod it will be down on the sync system too.... i have it and love it works flawlessly
I need to resort to manual operation of the ipod because the SYNC won't recognize the command I'm giving it. Like some artists or songs. With 500 songs on the ipod, the last thing I want to do is push the steering wheel button 499 times to get to the song I want.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:23 PM
fldave
Junior User

I think SYNC works pretty well. One of the features I really like is that I don't have to hook up the iPhone directly to the USB port to use the iPod, it works with the bluetooth portion to play through the system.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 PM
allen04
Freshman User
Tacswa3 ON your radio go to the menu button scroll tto you get to the vehicle speed control setting. set it to number 7 it only goes from 1 to 7 This will cause you radio to get louder as you speed up but will fix your problem with the phone problem. I had this happen to me also just readjusted the speed setting and hear phone calls through the speakers just find.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 PM
1994F2507.3L
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
i can control everything from induvidual songs to genres to artist to albums.... everything with the radio not the ipod its in the play menu

Old 11-11-2010, 08:51 PM
fldave
Junior User

The voice commands could be better, works, but slow. Use mostly for satellite radio channel changing without hands leaving the wheel.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacswa3
I have a Lariat without navigation. In my opinion SYNC sucks! I have been using my ipod through the USB port and this way you can't manual operate the ipod. Half the time SYNC doesn't understand english. I don't need SYNC directions because I have GPS units. To top it off, using the phone through the speakers sucks as well. You can't hear the other party very well. I bought the truck off the lot so I didn't order SYNC as an option, but since I have it I try and use it. Worthless.

Having a bad day!? Turn up the volume when using SYNC on the phone, your neighbors will hear the conversation.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Dj1208
Freshman User
I need to resort to manual operation of the ipod because the SYNC won't recognize the command I'm giving it. Like some artists or songs. With 500 songs on the ipod, the last thing I want to do is push the steering wheel button 499 times to get to the song I want.
I don't know what you have.. I have the GPS Nav system with SYNC with a hard drive and I am able to RECORD 10 CD's or from a ipod using the USB Port but I don't use a ipod so have recorded my CD's... Much safer driving this way....

Old 11-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dj1208
I don't know what you have.. I have the GPS Nav system with SYNC with a hard drive and I am able to RECORD 10 CD's or from a ipod using the USB Port but I don't use a ipod so have recorded my CD's... Much safer driving this way....
I was told by the dealer since I don't have navigation I don't have the hard drive. I would much rather download the songs to the hard drive.

everyone else - thanks for the tips, I'll keep working with it.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Feel your pain

I was told by the dealer since I don't have navigation I don't have the hard drive. I would much rather download the songs to the hard drive.

everyone else - thanks for the tips, I'll keep working with it.
I have been driving with Sync since they were introduced and found it like every other Microsoft product -- not easy to use out of the box! On another thread I spoke about taking the time to learn what it can do, only to find out that the Sync version I will be getting with the truck (with Nav) won't have all of the features (no weather, traffic, directions, etc.).

My kids have gotten to know the Sync lady as the "bitch in the box" because I would be literally screaming at her to "Play Artist The Eagles" and I would end up with some stupid audio book on the iPod. You will eventually make peace with her, but will find it frustrating at times. Wish I could change her voice...

On the Sync version you have, you should be able to do directions. A non graphical, text version GPS. Actually works pretty good.

As stated earlier, read the manual. My suggestion is to read the manual while you are finishing off a 6 pack.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:27 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wish the SYNC online web page was useful. I don't see why they don't offer "apps" that we can use like different voices, change the colors on the screen, add stuff to the "truck apps" menu on the driver console.

I would really like a nice soothing voice of a woman with an English/Scottish accent.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

How about that "services" girl?

Originally Posted by ruschejj
I wish the SYNC online web page was useful. I don't see why they don't offer "apps" that we can use like different voices, change the colors on the screen, add stuff to the "truck apps" menu on the driver console.

I would really like a nice soothing voice of a woman with an English/Scottish accent.
The online stuff is really bad. Sync would be so much better if they put more into the user interface and did allow some customization.

Not sure you have used the "services" function, but I could listen to the "services" woman all day. A much more soothing voice. The Sync lady's voice reminds me of my third grade nun, Sister Mary Iamgoingtomakeyourlifemiserable.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 PM
tr0y
Tuned
It's a MS dev'd interface, you expect it would be good ? hahhahahaha....

Quick Reply: Am I not using SYNC to its full capability?