Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2010, 08:04 AM
New User

GeorgeNteri is starting off with a positive reputation.
overhead console not working

I have a problem that my overhead console gas gauge/milage to empty and compass just suddenly went out. I do not have a manual on my excursion 2003 with the v 10 i was wondering if someone could tell me the fuse and or relay location it uses. i beleve it is just a blown fuse or relay that went out. thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Junior User

walt501 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check the fuse. But from what I have read the problem is most likely the circuit board that is located in the overhead console has dropped a few electrical components. Since this circuit board sits right under the roof, the sun can heat the solder on the circuit board to the point that electrical components literally drop right off the board. I have read of many people that have disassembled their overhead console and re-soldered the electrical pieces (resistors, etc.) back into the board which fixed the problem.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Senior User

chazman is starting off with a positive reputation.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/98...t-working.html
Old 11-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Senior User

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...ger-works.html
Old 11-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Senior User

1999 Ford F350 4x4 - Overhead Console Repair
Old 11-28-2010, 05:05 AM
Senior User

TheBestKindOfEX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TheBestKindOfEX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
marvin corty
Nice photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazman View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. I pulled mine once but did not dig that far. Now I know where to look!
2004 Excursion Limited 6.0l diesel 4WD, High Idle Mod for 6.0L Excursions, 20" Gio rims, nitto Terra Grappler 275/65-20, Black Onyx head gaskets, ARP studs, Sinister EGR delete, Scangauge II/Xgauge, Glowshift Tri-pod(EGT, Fuel Press, Oil Press), Prodigy P2 controller, hitch cam, rear TT cam
Old 11-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Senior User

TheBestKindOfEX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TheBestKindOfEX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
marvin corty
FIXED ! ....for now

This forum has paid off many times over. I applied the soldering iron to the 3 little parts in the pics. I only heated them and allowed the solder under them to re-attach. I didn't think I could get more solder in there without chancing ruining something. I suspect they will come loose again sometime.

2004 Excursion Limited 6.0l diesel 4WD, High Idle Mod for 6.0L Excursions, 20" Gio rims, nitto Terra Grappler 275/65-20, Black Onyx head gaskets, ARP studs, Sinister EGR delete, Scangauge II/Xgauge, Glowshift Tri-pod(EGT, Fuel Press, Oil Press), Prodigy P2 controller, hitch cam, rear TT cam
Old 11-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Elder User

RMBC Freeride has a good reputation on FTE.RMBC Freeride has a good reputation on FTE.
Reps to chazman for the links on this! This question comes up time and time again, and I never seem to have a good link handy.
2002 Excursion LTD-Ultimate 4WD 7.3 PSD (major project, here): 35" Dura-Grapplers, Regeared to 4.10's, V-codes+2.5" leveling kit front, C-code+extra leaf rear, 4" Magnaflow turbo-back, EBPV delete, 1.0AR Exh. Housing, Bellowed up-pipes, DIY 6637+Petes cover, Wicked Wheel, Banks 6.0 Intercooler, 6.0 Trans Cooler, RiffRaff HPx, AIH & FRx, PHP Tunes, T500 HPOP
Old 09-02-2012, 05:48 PM
New User

gneill794 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBestKindOfEX View Post
This forum has paid off many times over. I applied the soldering iron to the 3 little parts in the pics. I only heated them and allowed the solder under them to re-attach. I didn't think I could get more solder in there without chancing ruining something. I suspect they will come loose again sometime.

These threads out here have been very helpful for me! I am now stuck, 4 of my resistors had one side lifted and I was able to get them soldered back down. HOWEVER, behind the pink capacitor disk, there's a yellow component (I believe) which has burnt out on mine. All of the pictures I have found have the disc bent over it!!!! ... would anyone know what the specs are on that component!?

Thanks in advance,
George
Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Posting Guru

kornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant future
kornfanjoe kornfanjoe
i took my monitor apart and couldnt notice anything wrong on the computer board but i did notice on the corner of the display screen on the side where the connections are that the glass looks like there was a burn unside of it similar to the look fuses get after blowing. my compass is intermittent and im thinking that this is the problem. has anyone else had similar experiences?

Bulletproofed, emissions defiant, 4" turbo back cat delete, edge insight gauges, srl+ tune, F650 dash, blue interior dash light conversion, bumper bar, big stereo and a whole lot of awesome
Dyno'd at 407 RWHP 802 RWTQ!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Senior User

Stebs has a good reputation on FTE.Stebs has a good reputation on FTE.Stebs has a good reputation on FTE.
I think the burn is normal, I had it on mine... Look at the little resisters behind the display very carefully and look at their solder points on them very carefully as well. All of mine looked good, and then i noticed a hairline crack in one of the solder joints. Hit it with the soldering pencil and put it back together, no problems since...
Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Elder User

ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.
MARK HODGES r0bbinthah00d
I had issues with mine and found 2 of the little resistors were loose, resoldered them and it worked but now it only works when it wants to. Once it comes on it stays on for the whole duration of the drive but sometimes it might not come on for a good 10-20 minutes and other times it comes on right at startup, dont know if its in the wiring as my rear vent windows work when they feel like it also. Blasted electrical gremlins!!!

2005 Ford F250 CC FX4 6.0 - 2.5" Leveling kit, Kelly Safari TSR's, Ranchhand Front End, High Idle Mod, Coolant Filter, Updated STC Fitting, Scangauge II, Blue Spring, Fuel pressure EGT Boost Pillar Combo, Stealth EGR Delete
2001 Excursion Limited 2wd V10 2006 Front End Conversion, Scanguage II with custom dash mount
Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Senior User

sammatt1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine overhead display has not worked almost a year now and thanks to this thread mine is working again. Very easy job, had to solder four chips --- hardest part was keeping a steady hand while soldering and looking for the screw I dropped. Thanks guys.

1999 Lexus LS400
1993 Geo Metro 3 cyl 5spd (58 MPG) - daily driver
Old 07-27-2014, 11:51 AM
New User

jandlstables is starting off with a positive reputation.
Overhead console repair

Pulled mine apart today and found 2 of the chips laying in the bottom. soldered them back on and mine is working again.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:51 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
2001, 2003, 2005, 99, computer, console, diesel, duty, excursion, f150, f250, ford, fuse, overhead, part, quit, super, working