Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Truxedo TruXport purchased and installed

Hey everyone. I finally made up my mind last week about a roll up tonneau cover. I ended up going with Truxedo's economy model (budgeted by the wife), the TruXport.

I ended up getting it through my local shop because they were only about $10 more expensive than most of the online retailers once shipping was included. They also helped me put it on during my lunch break last Friday so that I could get out of town the same evening directly after work for some time in the tree stand.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the cover, for the price. Sure I could have spent about $150-$200 more for features like auto-adjustment and buckles instead of velcro to secure it when it's rolled up, but honestly, I don't miss either of those features.

Installation took about 30 minutes because we were having some difficulty with the placement of the clamps. Once that was settled, it was a breeze. We also installed an Extang tail gate seal while we were back there. Again, very easy and the gate now fits nice and snug with little rattle/play that I noticed previous to the seal being there.

The cover sits ontop of the rails, as opposed to just inside/flush with the rails. I actually like them sitting on top and it doesn't look out of place. The vinyl is of high quality, although it may not be as thick as some of the higher end models out there. I do like the flat crossbars as they don't bow like some others I've seen.

It flaps a little at highway speeds and I'm not sure if this is common amongst all soft covers or not. I cannot see how to pull the slack out of it any further. It really doesn't bother me though, just something I noticed.

Something else I noticed, maybe it's just in my head, but the bed appears to shake less with the cover, tail gate seal, etc all installed and snug. I really like this added bonus, A LOT!

The one aspect I do enjoy is that the cover cannot be released unless the tail gate is open. Sure a true theif is going to shred the cover if they want to get in, but I feel this small level of added security is a nice feature. I wouldn't "lock" things in there permanently, but it sure is nicer than an open bed. Keeps the honest, honest...as my Grandfather used to say.

So all in all, cover, seal, and a little assistance installing it, I was out the door under $400. It poured at hunt camp over night last weekend (a little over an inch in about 2 hours), and I only saw a small amount (less than a cup full) of water in the bed in the morning. I'll call that a win in my eyes.

I would recommend this cover to anyone looking for a simple, cost effective way of covering their bed.

Pictures coming soon as I keep forgetting my camera at home during the day, and it's already dark when I return.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Pictures as promised

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Senior User

dgndngrngr84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
very nice! I used to have a Fold-A-Cover in my ranger but I always had to take it out if I had something that would take up the entire bed. Looks like a quality cover, good choice.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Post Fiend

Thanks. I really liked the roll top covers, but my budget wouldn't allow for such an expenditure. For what I paid, I feel like I got a nice product. Time will tell.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Posting Guru

1bad67sbf is starting off with a positive reputation.
looks good!!!
2000 Harley fatboy #4 of 125 custom flame HD paint, upgraded carb, exhaust, cams, ignition and a ton of chrome
Old 11-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Posting Guru

svt2205 has a good reputation on FTE.svt2205 has a good reputation on FTE.
Truxedo offers some great products. I've had 4 good years out of my low pro qt with only a minor glitch. One of those little rubber seals fell off. Heck, I even posted it here and/or the other Ford Truck site just to share some feedback. I heard from one of the nice customer service reps from Truxedo and she fixed me up with a couple replacements. Granted it was a very small issue, but they came to me to offer a fix. That's good customer service in my book.

Hope your cover works as well as mine.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Post Fiend

Yeah I'm hoping for decent/good things out of this cover. I can honestly say that so far I've been pretty happy with it.
I just ordered Truxedo's Pro-Tex today for it. Hopefully that'll help keep it nice through the winter with the weird ice/snow/rain junk that we get here in Central VA.

I'm glad to hear about your customer service experience. That's promising.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Postmaster

Coskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to behold
My cover still looks new like the first day I bought it except for the Velcro which has faded and worn out some and it has been on the truck for 2 years now.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Post Fiend

I'm reviving my own OLD thread.
I was attempting to seal up a few water intrusions that I discovered during last week's travel in the East Coast downpour. In doing so I complete snapped the head off one of the TruXport's rail clamps. The bolt was seized, and even soaking it in PB Blaster did it no good.

Here's where things got good...I called Truxedo today to order one new clamp (about $8 + shipping FYI) and the customer service rep asked me for my purchase date. She took my clamp order and my info and asked me if I had any additional questions...in fact I did. I always wondered by the upper seal on the tailgate was about 3" short of spanning from edge to edge...she replied "that shouldn't be the case, I'll add that to the order". She grabbed my address and stated "Ok we're good. I'll get these out to you soon". Huh? no credit card info? No billing address. She stated that my cover has a 5 year warranty and these items would be on them.

Truxedo is sending me a clamp, that I admitted to breaking due to seizure, and a new header seal for the tailgate. How cool is that? Kudos to Truxedo, an American company, standing by their product. I had to come share this with you guys as I found this very commendable.

Carry on!
Old 12-03-2013, 02:55 PM
New User

Marknel is starting off with a positive reputation.
You just helped me decided on my first cover for my (new to me) 2011 F-250.

Thank you for posting!
Old 12-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Posting Guru

Buck 1 is a splendid one to beholdBuck 1 is a splendid one to beholdBuck 1 is a splendid one to beholdBuck 1 is a splendid one to beholdBuck 1 is a splendid one to beholdBuck 1 is a splendid one to beholdBuck 1 is a splendid one to behold
Good to hear positive comments on a real American company! Thanks!
Old 12-03-2013, 04:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
coming, f150, ford, forum, northern, out, rail, sitting, truxedo, truxport, va, velcro, water, worn, wwwtruxedocom