I started today removing my diesel 6.0 engine because I need to replace my Head gaskets. My 2005 F250 with 137K miles has been puking coolant and overheating under load. 5000 miles ago, I replaced the EGR cooler and oil cooler with the Bullet Proof Diesel EGR kit. I initially was going to just remove the heads with the cab on. But my engine leaks a little oil from the bed plate and I decided if I am going to do all this work, I should just pull the engine and so I can fix all the problems. My plan is to replace the HGs and use ARP studs. While I have the engine out also going to replace, the bed plate gasket, oil pan gasket, front and rear main seals, replace water pump, serpentine belt tensioner and any other problems I come across. I started to today and here are the pictures. Hopefully, I will have the engine ready to pull tomorrow. I will need some help along the way and will be asking for advice.
I have a set of factory workshop books which should help a lot but would like help from others who have done this before and can add to this post. I took the front wheels off the truck as you can see in the pictures and placed the truck on a set of 4x4s which made it a lot easier to work on.
Good on you!
It pains me to see how few people have the self confidence and motivation to tackle things like this on their own any more. Our forefathers have turned over in their graves so many times that some (Franklin and Emerson come to mind) are probably wearing through their caskets by now....
Day 2 went well. Pulled the intake manifold, EGR cooler, turbo exhaust pipes, AC compressor, PS pump, wiring harnesses, starter, removed bolts to torque converter and bell housing. The engine is now sitting in the truck looking like a long block ready to be pulled tomorrow morning. I have about 12 hours into this project so far. I have been following the Factory shop manual directions and not to bad. I have been putting the removed parts in my garage and outside, the ones that won't be damage by being there. Putting the truck on 4x4s on the floor has helped a lot, I am guessing dropped the front end down 12" to 18". Everyone thanks for the encouragement! I will post more pics with tomorrows progress.
Great job so far & very good pictures. Digital cameras are great for this sort of stuff. Personally I think it's a crying shame that a truck with those miles should require any of this. If I owned Ford I'd pay you off just to keep your problems quiet. I,m betting that almost any gas engine would have had few if any problems & at a fraction of the cost per mile. Terrible shame!
Way to go guy!
WOW, is that a complicated engine bay. I've done a few engine/transmission jobs over the years, but this job is really daunting.
I can see by your truck and your garage that you are the type that takes good care of things, so as others have said, this is a total disgrace that Ford built something so trouble prone AND difficult to repair.
I can imagine the anticipation when its all back together and you turn that key...........