Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Day of parts swapping and modifying!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:17 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day of parts swapping and modifying!

I cannot believe this weather we are having in Montana in March, been in the high 60's for a few days so I figured it was a good time to tear into my pickup. We have had almost zero winter this year which is not normal at all. It has made working on my pickup more enjoyable.

I needed to pull the turbo to swap out the outlet side to get rid of the EBPV and pedestal. I also needed to fix the exhaust leaks on the up pipes and install new donuts. The removal was easy as it only took 30 minutes to have my turbo out. I was able to swap out the outlet and install the new pedestal pretty easy.

I also took the time to add the new regulated fuel return while I had the turbo out. The rear plug was easy to remove but I ended up rounding off the front plug. Took forever to get it out using some extractor tools and removing the A/C compressor and mounting bracket to gain extra room. Other than a messed up plug the install was pretty straight forward and easy.

I also added the high pressure oil cross over. I had all the holes in the engine plugged with rags to keep dirt and other objects out. I had used one of the rags to wipe my hands, and when I removed the oil plug from the head and set it up on the fire wall, it rolled off right into the open hole into the engine!! I was so pissed that I did that, lucky for me it went straight down into a valve that was closed and I could easily fish it out with a magnet.

The turbo install was a pain in the butt. I should say that installing the babies butt to the back of the turbo when it is installed is a royal pain in the butt. I did get it all back together and it sounds good and runs good. No leaks so I was very happy about that.

I did find two additional things wrong that I did not plan to find or expect. One was the fuel supply to the right rear of the cylinder head was leaking a ton of fuel, I thought I had a leaky valve cover gasket but once the turbo was removed it was in plain sight. I also found that my exhaust back pressure tube was broken in two, found that when I removed the A/C compressor and mounting bracket. For now I capped of the line at the manifold as it was starting to burn my wires up. I have a new tube ordered and will install it once it shows up. In all it was a good day of swapping, fixing and modifying stuff to my 99!

I am going to have to spend some time in the near future with some cleaner and a pressure washer to remove some gunk from my engine.

Pictures for all those who are interested.

Jeff

Old 03-10-2012, 09:23 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Always love those days!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:31 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just glad you were able to fish that oil plug out. What are the chances, always something here too. Let us know down the road how those gaskets hold up..

Old 03-10-2012, 10:40 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa
Let us know down the road how those gaskets hold up..
I did mine a year ago and there still holding like I just put them in

Nice pictures I like those days too

Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 AM
jrf250
Tuned
What kind of donut gaskets did You use. I notice they are blue. I will be doing this to My truck very soon.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 AM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by jrf250
What kind of donut gaskets did You use. I notice they are blue. I will be doing this to My truck very soon.

Fel-Pro part number 8194. I picked them up at my local Napa Auto Parts store as they stocked them and there was no need to order them. There was nothing left of my original ones so it was time to change them. I am not sure what the best or correct way is to change them. I installed them to the babies butt with the bolts about half way in so that I could still slide the pipes in. The passenger up-pipe was left on the engine while I removed the drivers side. With the turbo installed I was able to reach behind and slip the assembly onto the passenger side up pipe, get it lined up with the turbo and then get the clamp on. With that in place I could slide the driver side up-pipe up from the bottom and bolt it to the manifold. The hard part was getting the 4 bolts tight, two for each up-pipe on the babies butt. The bottom bolts on each side I was able to get to easily with some long extensions and my 3/8 drive impact. The top ones were a royal pain. They were tightened by hand, all I could do is get my 1/4 drive sockets and extensions up to get them.

when I removed it, I pulled the turbo off then took the driver side up-pipe off the engine from the bottom and then the assembly just slid off the passenger side up-pipe and I could tear it apart on the bench. I soaked all the exhaust bolts good with some PB-Blaster so I had no broken bolts to mess with. I also anti-seized the bolts when I assembled everything.

Jeff