Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Senior User

bulletpruf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 99 View Post
When you checked your cables, did you remove both battery and ground cables to check the contact areas? The contact areas need to be clean down to shiny metal and then coated with dialectic (noalox) grease before you reassemble the cables. You might want to check the connection at the starter motor also while the battery cables are disconnected, a bad connection there will cause the same issues. The starter motors on our trucks tend to want to loosen the bolts holding the starter in, so you might want to check the bolts for tightness as well.
I just checked the battery cables at the battery. Will check ground cables and starter connection. Have some dialectric grease that I will use to coat the connections.

Will also check the starter bolts for tightness.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 AM
Posting Guru

carltonwebb has a very good reputation on FTE.carltonwebb has a very good reputation on FTE.carltonwebb has a very good reputation on FTE.carltonwebb has a very good reputation on FTE.
It may just be me, but I have had NO luck on non-ford alternators. The ones from the big box stores do not last nor do the ones I have had rebuilt locally. The same local rebuilders can build any other truck or car alternator except the 97 or so and later ones.

Anyone else have problems with the others lasting as long?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonwebb View Post
It may just be me, but I have had NO luck on non-ford alternators. The ones from the big box stores do not last nor do the ones I have had rebuilt locally. The same local rebuilders can build any other truck or car alternator except the 97 or so and later ones.

Anyone else have problems with the others lasting as long?
That's a tough call.
When I bought my truck with 49,000 miles on it, the factory OE alternator had already been replaced.
I've been installing Bosch rebuilt units on cars for 28 years now and thier track record is very good for me.
I cannot remember the last time one came back on me.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Elder User

USAF CCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.USAF CCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Dan,

Where do you get your Bosch remans? Thanks, Les

2002 True Blue F350 Ext Cab 4x4 7.3 PSD SRW LB
Rhino Line; 4" BDS Lift; Bilstein Shocks; Centerline Rims; Racor Ext Fuel/Enviro Bypass Oil/Magnafine Trans Filters; 8 Autometer Cobalt Gauges; AIS; Toyo 315/75R16 ATs; Banks Monster Exhaust, Mag-Hytec Trans & Rear Diff Covers; BTS; ATS: AIH Delete; Spearco CAC; DP Tuning; DI SS Ups

30 Yr USAF Vet
Old 11-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF CCM View Post
Dan,

Where do you get your Bosch remans? Thanks, Les
I get them from one of two wholesale warehouses.
I don't know if they have a retail counter or not, but you could ask them.
www.imcparts.net
www.worldpac.com
I think that you will find, however, that PartsGuy Ed will offer a Ford unit for the same cost.
Bosch isn't a cheap knock off part, they are OE suppliers for many of the European vehicles.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Senior User

New alternator is on. Now reading 14V at idle. Good to go (at least until this one dies)!

Thanks,

Scott
Old 11-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Elder User

Nick 99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Can you read the voltage again, but this time put your meter on a/c to read the the alternating current component during the start up so we can get a baseline on a new alternator.
Thanks, Nick
Old 11-22-2010, 06:00 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
New alternator is on. Now reading 14V at idle. Good to go (at least until this one dies)!

Thanks,

Scott
Looks like I have the opposite problem now - too much charging voltage! @)#*$)@#*%)!!! Noticed on my drive to work this morning that the battery warning light was lighting up on the dash. However, when I turned the truck off and restarted, it lit off easily. Also noticed that the light wasn't coming on at idle; mainly over 1,200 rpm.

I'll test it again, but looks like I'm headed back to AutoZone for my 3d Duralast Gold alternator in less than a year.

Scott
Old 11-22-2010, 06:00 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1999, 2004, 46l, 73, 97, 99, alternator, bolts, chargin, charging, f550, ford, low, powerstroke, size, starter, voltage