1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

bear claw latch install `55 f100

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:52 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bear claw latch install `55 f100

here`s a few pictures of my bear claw latch install, bought the universal kit from rocky hinge (med size bearclaw) the only tricky part was installing the striker, i wanted to fill the recessed area anyway but the striker nut assy was a bit too thick, i ended up cutting out a rectangular hole into the door jamb so the striker would sit flush, re-inforced the area and made a plate to finish the jamb, nice part with these bear claws you can still use the existing interior handles, they only have to be lenghtened roughly 1/4 inch.
[g]http://wwimw.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=236943&.jpg[/img

[img]https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=236939&.jpg[/img

Old 11-09-2010, 09:12 AM
AmericanROCKBREAD!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work!! Is that gyzimo in your hand an electric door opener? Are you putting in power windows too?

Joe

Old 11-09-2010, 09:23 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AmericanROCKBREAD!
Nice work!! Is that gyzimo in your hand an electric door opener? Are you putting in power windows too?

Joe
yes its a door opener solenoid, i shaved my door handles, i`ll be installing power windows, i`m almost done installing a one piece window kit, i pulled out my rear door power window mechanism out of my crown vic on the weekend,was comparing them to the trucks original and the gears and travel are the same,arms are different so i`m going to try and adapt the two together, possibly a cheap alternative swap??

Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice job, looking forward to seeing this truck in one piece. FYI for anyone contemplating doing this, Rocky Hinge makes a very nice install kit for these opener/latches, it's a mounting plate with cut out for the latch and has the bolt holes already drilled. It's very sanitary and saves a lot of time. I used them although I put the latches in the door jamb and the striker on the door.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:35 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
Nice looking job.
your opener solenoid looks just like the ones I used that were from power locks on a Sunbird.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:58 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Glad to see that you took the time and effort to eliminate the door jamb indent and mount the latch post correctly...looks good! Those bolt-on adapters really look hokey IMHO.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:14 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
Glad to see that you took the time and effort to eliminate the door jamb indent and mount the latch post correctly...looks good! Those bolt-on adapters really look hokey IMHO.
Right on, Charlie!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:29 PM
installedbypaul
New User
Bear claw latches

Nice job man! I am in the process of adding power actuators to my 56 myself. It was helpfull to see how you used the actuator! btw i purchased my actuators and power window kit from a website www.antonelliink.com they dont have much listed on the site but i called and the prices were reasonable, for what its worth. I hope to get some pics up soon

Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 PM
BBKtech2
Senior User
Have you tried to mount the stock window channel track that runs up the door right where your actuator is?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:53 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BBKtech2
Have you tried to mount the stock window channel track that runs up the door right where your actuator is?
track fits perfectly, the actuator is actually located on the 90 degree corner of the door so it dosen`t interfere with anything

Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 AM
BBKtech2
Senior User
Awesome!! Great planning. I've worlked with some body guys that said they could install bearclaws, only to have problems when I showed them the track needs clearence. I knew of a guy years ago that did suicide doors on a 56, covered by a magazine and when he got done realized he couldn't mount the front window track anywhere. Opps.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:39 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Originally Posted by thepitshop
track fits perfectly, the actuator is actually located on the 90 degree corner of the door so it dosen`t interfere with anything
Originally Posted by BBKtech2
I was going to ask the same question but you did answer it. Your set up is the same way I did mine except for the actuator being connected directly to the bearclaw. I'm using different actuators and using cables, will have to try your method. I lengthened my door pulls in the same manner also. Do you have any pictures of the install from inside your door?

Old 11-12-2010, 11:18 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
i`ll try and snap some pictures this weekend, the guys that were having problems were probably using the large bear claw, i`m using the medium one, if i remember correctly there`s about an inch between the track and my lock, i`ll measure this also on the weekend.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
i never tried the window track on this side of the door, only when i did the passenger side a month ago, the track does not fit at the end of the lock as i previously stated, the track fits on top of the lock assembly, pictures do not show that there is actually room between the track and the solenoid, there is 1/4 inch between them and they do not touch with the track pushed all the way towards the solenoid.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I don't think I'd be able to do that with the actuators I have so will have to stick with using cables on mine. What are the pull strength of your actuators? I like that yours are attached directly to the bearclaws.

Quick Reply: bear claw latch install `55 f100