Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Intake????

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:44 AM
daveyboy1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang Intake????

So I happened upon a complete upper and lower intake, throttle body and everything and was wondering if there is any advantages of replacing my trucks intake with it...other than the availabilty of aftermarket parts and ease of installing nitrous..

Old 11-09-2010, 07:11 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this a 302 ?? If so the truck intake is very good but i don't think they make a spay plate for the intake , so the car intake may be better for nitrous , otherwise you have to put the nozzel in the intake tube....Lew

Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
The HO intake is a better match to a 5.0 with stock heads, but once the heads are upgraded the intake should be too.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:45 AM
daveyboy1
Senior User
does the stock car intake respond well to porting...anybody know

Old 11-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Yes, as with most stock intakes the lower needs most of the work, straighten out the dogleg ports at the front and back(as much as possible) and port match all the openings to the heads.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 AM
fairlane68
Senior User
Stock vs. stock, the Mustang intake isn't much better than the truck intake. However...5.0L Explorers are a dime a dozen, and soccer moms have been crashing them left and right for years, so they're plentiful in junkyards. They come from the factory with the GT-40 intake. They also have GT-40 "P" heads, but they require special headers.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by fairlane68
Stock vs. stock, the Mustang intake isn't much better than the truck intake.
I guess you're not aware just how very different the three 5.0 intakes are form one another. In terms of airflow potential the HO has the least at around 135-150cfm/runner, the GT40/Explorer is in the middle at around 165-190cfm, and the truck has the most potential by far at 200-250cfm per runner. Matching that airflow capacity to the engine will produce the best results(i.e. broadest powerband), so considering that the stock heads only flow about 150cfm at 1/2" valve lift that means the HO is the best choice.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:36 AM
fairlane68
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
I guess you're not aware just how very different the three 5.0 intakes are form one another. In terms of airflow potential the HO has the least at around 135-150cfm/runner, the GT40/Explorer is in the middle at around 165-190cfm, and the truck has the most potential by far at 200-250cfm per runner. Matching that airflow capacity to the engine will produce the best results(i.e. broadest powerband), so considering that the stock heads only flow about 150cfm at 1/2" valve lift that means the HO is the best choice.
Yeah...I've never in my life ever messed with any of them. After turning wrenches on various Fords for almost 30 years, I know absolutely nothing about the differences between the many types of manifolds. You're right. How could I be so foolish as to inform Mr. daveyboy1 that there's a better option to the stock 5.0 HO manifold he's stumbled across? I mean, the truck intake has all that aftermarket support...

Yes I am aware, thank you very much. You may want to revise your numbers, though. You wanted to be Mister Technical about it, so here's your technical data:

Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
My opinion is to keep the truck intake if you can.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Yeah...I've never in my life ever messed with any of them. After turning wrenches on various Fords for almost 30 years, I know absolutely nothing about the differences between the many types of manifolds.
Well you're new around here so exactly how are we to know about your experience? You'll have to loose the attitude if you want to gain credibility around here because there are lots of people that will call you on unsupported statements. And that's not because they're asholes it just because the net is filled with more bad information than good and there are a lot of armchair experts floating around, so more often than not responses to posts are misleading or just wrong.

You're right. How could I be so foolish as to inform Mr. daveyboy1 that there's a better option to the stock 5.0 HO manifold he's stumbled across? I mean, the truck intake has all that aftermarket support... .
I won't dispute either of those points, but as of yet I don't think we have really nailed down what will be "better" for the OP since he hasn't really detailed where he's going with this.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:55 PM
fairlane68
Senior User
Well you're new around here so exactly how are we to know about your experience? You'll have to loose the attitude if you want to gain credibility around here because there are lots of people that will call you on unsupported statements. And that's not because they're asholes it just because the net is filled with more bad information than good and there are a lot of armchair experts floating around, so more often than not responses to posts are misleading or just wrong.

I won't dispute either of those points, but as of yet I don't think we have really nailed down what will be "better" for the OP since he hasn't really detailed where he's going with this.
I recently started taking college courses using my GI Bill. One of those courses is Fundamentals Of Speech. I hate it. But what I have learned so far is that you never assume everyone you come across is less intelligent than you are. Unless a person uses the same shorthand on a web forum as they would in a text message, then it's open season. I did not assume you were an idiot, nor did I assume your brain was rotted out of your skull based on your post count. I would appreciate it, as would other newer members here, if my level of assumed intelligence isn't prejudged by the number of replies I have posted.

So are we in agreement? Shall we have a Slurpee Summit now? Or Beer Summit...which is it? Eh?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
So are we in agreement? Shall we have a Slurpee Summit now? Or Beer Summit...which is it? Eh?
Yeah we're in agreement on most things it seems, the posts I have seen from you so far seem to come from a solid knowledge base so I was kind of surprised with the tone of your previous reply.. not something I expected from somebody that's been around the block a few times. It seems people are quick to pull the snarky trigger on the Interweb for some reason.. I'm guilty of that too at times and find myself editing a post to tone it down because there's no need to be mean... usually.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:26 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
on those Mustang intakes the ports are a little on the small side. most of the 87-93 Mustang guys take the stock one off and go with an aftermarket one,or that Explorer one mentioned.

Hope this helps,
Tony

Old 11-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by 1ATony
most of the 87-93 Mustang guys take the stock one off and go with an aftermarket one,or that Explorer one mentioned.
Yes quite true.. but the mustang guys are ususally after top end horespower while truck users may be more interested in lowend to midrange power, and for that the smaller ports have an advantage.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:06 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes quite true.. but the mustang guys are ususally after top end horespower while truck users may be more interested in lowend to midrange power, and for that the smaller ports have an advantage.
I see what you're sayin

Quick Reply: Mustang Intake????