Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2010, 12:09 AM
New User

sburnett13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
transmission leak

hey all! i have an 09 screw, 4.6 3v, 3.55, 2wd. last week, i noticed on the driveway a drip and run stain under the truck. i dismissed it as ac runoff. but it remained and lengthened. i got under it yesterday, and the tranny crossmember has fluid on it. i can't pinpoint where it is coming from. there was no drip either, and the truck was relatively cool. of course there is no tranny fluid dipstick to check and the tranny pan is intact. it seems to be behind the transmission towards the driveshaft. anyone have this issue?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Postmaster

juneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud of
I don't have the issue, but I will ask the dumb question. Is the fluid red?

Quote:
You haven't lived life until you've done 110mph in a Yugo
Old 12-09-2010, 06:12 PM
New User

My09F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmission Fluid Leak

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. I have an 09 F150 Supercrew 5.4L. I noticed a small puddle of RED fluid under my truck about a month ago. Crawled underneath and it looked to me like it was dripping from the crossmember bar towards the back of the transmission and the transmission pan at the rear looked wet. I took it to the dealer who checked it out and told me there was NO leak. I couldn't believe this but okay I picked the truck up and drove it for several weeks and it seemed okay. Then did a 6 hour drive last week and after sitting in my garage a few days without running the truck I again noticed a puddle (a little bigger this time) of red fluid under the truck. This is not my imagination. Transmission is definitely leaking somewhere and the truck only has 25K miles on it. I seem to notice it only after a long drive, 3 or more hours for example. I guess I'll have to get to a different dealer for a SECOND opinion.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:59 PM
New User

Transmission Leak

Sorry everyone. In my post I wanted to also ask if anyone else besides the original poster has experienced this problem on their truck, especially with such low mileage and if anybody knows if there's any signifigance to the fact that the fluid leakage seems to only be noticeable after long trips ie, 3 to 6 hours of continuous highway driving.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:38 AM
New User

Kingwood is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same problem, after truck sit in driveway for a week pulled out and noticed a puddle. Went straight to the dealership and now waiting on part that is on nationwide back order from Ford. However this causes me some concern as I am still paying for this truck!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Junior User

Turbodogg is starting off with a positive reputation.
The same thing happened to my 09 4.6 6 speed 4x4. The part already came in and I'm taking the truck to the dealership tomorrow.

The service guy at the dealership told me that he had four truck ahead on mine with the same problem. I think they are going to make some kind of adjustment per a technical bulletin thats suppose to help along with the new part.

I just hope this isn't going to be an on-going problem.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:43 PM
New User

Transmission Leak

Turbo & King. Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I definitely need to get to a dealership that knows what's going on with this. Like I said in my 1st post I already had one dealership try and tell me the transmission wasn't leaking. There's no way they could have REALLY looked at the truck and came to this conclusion. At least they didn't charge me for it but what a waste of time not to mention being without my vehicle for a day and a half. It's frustrating when you the customer must school the dealership on known issues with your vehicle when they're supposed to be the experts. I had a problem when I 1st purchased the truck where the headliner kept falling down. Just like with this leak issue the internet schooled me and I then had to school the dealership. Very frustrating
Old 12-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Junior User

Turbodogg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't forget that you can always go to another dealership if you still have warranty left. I'm fortunate enough to have like 6 dealerships in the area. When I took my truck in, it wasn't to the dealership I bought it from.

Good luck and give them hell!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:10 PM
New User

Transmission Leak

Yep, exactly what I plan to do. Actually the 1st dealer I took it to was NOT the dealer I bought the truck from. The transmission mechanic who works for the dealer closest to me happened to be out that week so I ended up going to the next closest dealer in a nearby town. Should have just saved my gas and time. Oh well I'll schedule round two with my local dealer and see how it goes. Thanks again for the info. It's great reference material for my next visit.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Postmaster

superrangerman2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I should go out and pop the hood and check the tranny fluid on my truck.

Oh wait a minute.....

I guess they "forgot" to put in a dipstick on the tranny because they never leak.

Now I get to crawl under my truck in the sub zero temps to perform a tranny check....lovely.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 AM
New User

09 LARIAT is starting off with a positive reputation.
transmission leak

My 09 Lariat has the same problem. today with 28000 miles there is alot of trans. fluid on the ground under the rear of the trans. looks like its leaking around the rear at the crossmember. truck was not used for two days prior. will take to dealer on monday. I will post the outcome.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 PM
New User

09 LARIAT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 LARIAT View Post
My 09 Lariat has the same problem. today with 28000 miles there is alot of trans. fluid on the ground under the rear of the trans. looks like its leaking around the rear at the crossmember. truck was not used for two days prior. will take to dealer on monday. I will post the outcome.

after four days at the dealer picked up truck today. the RO said it had a faulty trans head connector.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 PM
New User

Smokes is starting off with a positive reputation.
2009 FX 4X4

Same leak. Only 26,000 miles. Has been in the Dealers for four days now not counting the weekend.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:08 PM
New User

vfuentes is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi everyone fficeffice" />>>
I am new in this ford forum.>>
I just have the same exact issue as some of you describe in this thread.>>
Apparently it only does when truck is not moving or is just sitting by more than 2 days. Also it seems to be more oil if there was a long drive before leaving the truck without moving.>>
This is my 3 time about the same issue that i take my truck to the dealer.>>
First time they said that there were the bolts of the pan transmission, the ones in the back. Then replaced some of them, and apparently ok.>>
Month after when i did another trip of 6 hrs driving, and let the truck in garage by 3 days, again the same issue.>>
This time dealer says it was the electrical harness that is locate in the back of the transmission and just above Trans pan, there is one electrical harness, well that harness was just bad or some kind not sealing well with the other side of the harness inside of the Trans.>>
Then like another month and just about the same history. Let the truck in garage by 2 days after 6 hrs trip.>>
This time was lees oil residue, but still some in the muffler and trans pan.>>
Now dealer says that is one seal that is located between trans and transfer case.>>
They have the seal in stock, but the bolts cannot be reuse, so another set had to be order.>>
Hopefully this time the fix is complete and done and not coming back the same issue.>>
By the way my truck is 2009 5.4 fx4 crew cab >>
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 PM
New User

sburnett13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
after many weeks of a small drip/leak, we took it in to the shop. tech said that since we park on an incline, with the nose of the truck higher than the rear, the tranny somehow drops onto the crossmember due to gravity. the tranny seal went out and was replaced along with the fluid. said it was warranty covered and possibly an upcoming recall. they fixed it and runs fine.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 PM