Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Junior User

'88 E-350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
WMO emissions test results

From the time I started running oil I hoped it wouldn't be TOO much dirtier than #2, just to feel good. Well, it turns out I was wrong. The difference is pretty much unmeasurable between the two. CO, CO2, O2, & HC numbers were all the same for both fuels. The WMO seemed to show a few points lower in NOX, but the numbers bounce so much I couldn't say it was much different. Now I KNOW it's greener to use WMO; as long as it doesn't kill the motor anyway.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Post Fiend

ford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to all
Exactly!!! Now you have the proof I have been using WMO in my 7.3 IDI for a long time and no issues and you do notice the increase in power and MPG improvement. WMO has more power potential so I advanced my timing to take advantage of that.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:54 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by '88 E-350 View Post
From the time I started running oil I hoped it wouldn't be TOO much dirtier than #2, just to feel good. Well, it turns out I was wrong. The difference is pretty much unmeasurable between the two. CO, CO2, O2, & HC numbers were all the same for both fuels. The WMO seemed to show a few points lower in NOX, but the numbers bounce so much I couldn't say it was much different. Now I KNOW it's greener to use WMO; as long as it doesn't kill the motor anyway.
Care to post those results?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Junior User

'88 E-350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
We didn't do a printout, just a "manual mode" test. HC were 30-35 PPM, CO was .03%, NOX was 450-480 with some short spikes higher & lower. Don't recall the CO2 number. Most of the testing time was spent at a high idle at that's where these numbers came from. I don't know the actual RPM, guessing just under 2K by the earometer. We did little at idle, and a little mild power braking and those seemed about same with both fuels as well. NOX of course spiked power braking; a little over 1000. I wanted to spend more time on it, but he was starting to get backed up so we quit there.

I have read about oil making more power & mileage. I have no idea on mileage, but my power tests have been no different between fuels so I'm guessing MPG to be about same as well. It could be that I need to change my timing to optimize for the fuel, but since the oils will vary, that magic advance point would as well.

Ford390-how did you come to know the right advance to optimize it? I've done it on gassers a lot, but don't know what to look/listen for on a diesel. If you advance until it looses power then back it off do you run a risk of blowing it up in the process?
Old 12-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Senior User

malodin is starting off with a positive reputation.
ive just been going through a class that my instructor was a boiler operator/engineer for many different companies, and we were discussing different fuels used, and #2 diesel although its clean by industry standards its still a relatively dirty oil, i bet if you sent #2 diesel and wmo oil in to be tested the numbers would be similar for all the hazardous components, might have a little more "strange" particles in the wmo oil, just my opinion as i have nothing to base it on except for my talks with my instructor and his experience, in fact in one of the text books that says for a cleaner alternative to #2 fuel to use kerosene as a direct replacement because its a more efficient/cleaner burning fuel blah blah etc.

i soon plan on at least using 50/50 mix so this test of yours 88 is good to know, thnx for taking the time
Old 12-07-2010, 01:20 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
1972, 73, 93, diesel, emission, emissions, f150, fail, hc, idi, lower, running, test, truck, wmo