X3 Econo Tune - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
TEAM HARD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X3 Econo Tune - Is it worth it?

Guys -
I am ordering from SCT this week, I want to know if the 87 Eco tune that is part of the standard package is worth using one of my 3 custom tunes or if I should go another route?

Those of you that have a X3 or livewire can you please post up your findings after the installation of the tuner?

Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
I thought that was Stock Tune??

I use the 87 Tow Tune from 5 Star all the time and its OK. I don't think V10 and Economy go together. I do recommend 5 Star for your SCT

Donovan
2005 6.0 KR CC SB
2009 6.8 KR CC LB

Old 11-08-2010, 06:58 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same here we use the tow tune exclusively but the truck does weigh 11K lbs empty. I always plan on using the econ tune if we take the truck on a longer trip and don't tow anything but that hasn't happened. Depending on what you are doing with the truck you may want to use 2 different performance tunes with different octane ratings instead.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:00 PM
T Price
New User
I know this will get me in trouble . But I would not buy a tuner. My tuner from 5 Star Did not change my mileage at all performance setting is like my truck stock . The only thing I like is I can raise my trans. pressure with the tuner for better shifting . I have not used the tow setting yet I hope that the tow setting will make me think it was worth the money .
Sorry my opinion
T Price

Old 11-08-2010, 07:14 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Your not feeling more power, or just not getting better MPGs?

Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 PM
T Price
New User
No more power than stock. Fuel mileage no increase . Its like there is no program in it . I can change my shift pressure I like that I am driving around with the stock program. I am getting 10.6 mpg on the console. I hope the tow program is better. 5 star says sorry must be the ethanol in the gas . T Price

Old 11-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
are you sure your truck actualy took teh tune from 5star ???

your the first person to report back no change after buying the SCT tuner....

Old 11-08-2010, 08:08 PM
T Price
New User
It should have taken the program the tuner did change my shift pressure. Its like there is no program in it just default settings
T Price

Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by T Price
No more power than stock. Fuel mileage no increase . Its like there is no program in it . I can change my shift pressure I like that I am driving around with the stock program. I am getting 10.6 mpg on the console. I hope the tow program is better. 5 star says sorry must be the ethanol in the gas . T Price
Hi Tim
Sorry you feel that way. Economy may just not be in your 2v V10 cards. If you would like to return for a refund no worries here at all. Just return truck to stock and send back all cables / cd ect..

thanks
Mike

Old 11-09-2010, 01:11 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TEAM HARD
Guys -
I am ordering from SCT this week, I want to know if the 87 Eco tune that is part of the standard package is worth using one of my 3 custom tunes or if I should go another route?

Those of you that have a X3 or livewire can you please post up your findings after the installation of the tuner?
Hard to make that call, as you know better at what you use your truck for, but...
I do use econo tune on the long drives, and find it better than the sport tune. I did also find, like others that you are better off with the sport tune in town, than econo. To add bonus to the better throttle response, and tranny shifts I have also gained mpg. So the way I look at it, plus, plus with a plus. I have yet to use the tow tune tho, as I have nothing to tow, yet. It was great, as it came in just in time for our summer vacation, and a few thousands miles of open road.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:51 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Buy from Mike.

My 2001 V10 went from 10 second 0-60 to 9.02 second 0-60 with just the 87 octane performance tune.

I have the data logs to prove it.

His tow tune, even with only around 5K lbs was the cat's meow.

I am currently running the 93 octane performance tune, because 93 octane here is around 10% more, and since 95% of my driving is around-town, my around-town MPGs have gone from 5-5.5 to 6.5MPG. That's at the very least, an 18% improvement.

I can't speak to any other tunes, but I have had 100% satisfaction from his tunes, and others love his customer service when they need something to be adjusted.

His return policy is also great

Old 11-09-2010, 11:12 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I told Mike what I wanted from the tunes and from what I told him he said I wouldn't like the Economy tune. IMO skip the Econo and get the Performance and Tow tunes in the octane you plan to run. If you only run one octane fuel get that octane in Perf, Tow and the Econo and decide for yourself. Remember you can buy additional tunes from Mike.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:50 PM
T Price
New User
No Mike I will keep it I like to run a high pump pressure on the trans it saves me from putting a shift kit in the trans. . I installed the tow program today . That is the only program I can feel anything on. The tow tune I like the shifts I can feel the pulling power it makes. I wonder if the performance program never installed itself in the programmer. HMMM . Mike is there anyway to check to see if the performance tune is in the unit.
This is my last post on this topic because it is unfair to Team Hard and his decision
T Price

Old 11-09-2010, 05:53 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by T Price
No Mike I will keep it I like to run a high pump pressure on the trans it saves me from putting a shift kit in the trans. . I installed the tow program today . That is the only program I can feel anything on. The tow tune I like the shifts I can feel the pulling power it makes. I wonder if the performance program never installed itself in the programmer. HMMM . Mike is there anyway to check to see if the performance tune is in the unit.
This is my last post on this topic because it is unfair to Team Hard and his decision
T Price
Hi TIm
you have mail

Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 AM
TEAM HARD
Senior User
Ok, based on some of the responses I think I too will skip the eco tune and go for another tune... thats why I posted this... I didnt want to end up with a tune that I never use. Now Im just waiting to see if the group buy on the X3 is going to happen...

Quick Reply: X3 Econo Tune - Is it worth it?