2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

News on the next Expedition & Navigator, Navigator may wave goodbye.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:18 AM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
News on the next Expedition & Navigator, Navigator may wave goodbye.

Sources have started to leak info about the next Expedition and Navigator. Some of its not very good news I’m afraid.

The good news:

Expedition and Navigator will be getting a turbochanged, direct injected EcoBoost engine (likely the V6 powerplant. I can’t see them offering a EcoBoost I4) and sources keep hinting that Ford's new 5.0 liter 32-valve TiVCT V8 will replace the 5.4 liter 24-valve Triton V8.

The bad news:

A completely all-new Expedition was due for the 2012 model year, which means it would have been launched late in 2011. Not anymore, as those plan have been shelved.

A reskin of the outgoing Expedition (known internally at Ford as the "U324") is still possible, as Ford’s older product plans show the alphanumeric code name "U324(2)" listed for 2013. For now it seems the current (third) generation will soldier on.

Ford Motor Company’s plans have shifted. With the impending death of the Mercury brand, Ford Motor wants to give its Lincoln brand a separate identity, moving it away from the Ford brand.

My prediction of Ford replacing the Navigator may just happen. Ford has already confirmed that both the Flex and MKT are on death row, they are just waiting for a last minute miracle in sales. They will both get one mid lifecycle refresh, however, if consumer demand does not increase for the MKT, sources say that Ford is looking into replacing the full-size crossover, along with the full-size Navigator by 2014.

The MKT and Navigators replacement? A single crossover SUV based on the new full-size 2011 Ford Explorer (U502) pictured below.

Link to the news article: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...308029996/1256

Old 08-03-2010, 06:28 AM
chuck s
Elder User
Frankly the only reason I have an Expedition is to tow my camper. I'll be buying the last of the "old models" if trailer towing capability drops with the new models. A blown turbo on my old XR4ti has soured me on the whole turbo concept -- and you know how long ago THAT was!

-- Chuck

Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 AM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
The new 5.0 liter TiVCT (twin independent variable camshaft timing) V8 is good for 412 hp and 390 ft-lbs of torque, so that will help move the 2012 Ford Expedition and any load it’s carrying at letter better. Towing capacity may increase (slightly) with this engine.

The EcoBoost engine will likely be listed as an optional extra for those who want more fuel mileage out of the big beast. But I agree, if you need the Expedition for towing, a torque happy V8 is preferred.

I would expect the Expedition will also get the SelectShift™ manumatic feature added to its automatic transmission, like the 2011 Super Duty trucks.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I personally hope that damn 6.2 comes to life with the 5.0 as the base motor. Either will have plenty of power. I just have a bigger is better mentality after a few years of not having enough motor in my older trucks (ie: 5.0 when 5.8 was available)

It would be smart of Ford to drop the Lincoln and Merc's IMO. Never have understood why Ford offerred 3 different versions of same vehicle. This economy just cant support that anymore.

I am still hoping for a re-skin in late 2011/2012. We will be in the market for a new Expy in spring of '12. Would prefer to have a revised version if I'm going to spend that kind of money

Old 08-04-2010, 05:54 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Moving the Explorer tot he unibody type was smart of Ford. Hopefully the new Expy will remain a truck so as not to minimize it's work ethic and capabilities. It is afterall, a very comfortable truck.

The Flex never impressed me. Waaaaay to expensive and too yuppy for my tastes.

It was suggested earlier on here on another thread that the Navi will go away and Ford will come out with a Platinum Expedition and mimic what they did with the F-150 / Mark LT. Makes perfect sense to me. But how will that particular audience feel about paying 65K for a Ford branded vehicle?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
But how will that particular audience feel about paying 65K for a Ford branded vehicle?
I think people will do it.

My Limited EL had a price of $50,000 when I sat down at the table to negotiate. And it's a 4x2. The 4x4 KR's can easily add $5-7,000 more ontop of that price. Especially if you add Navigation.

People buy the Lincolns because they are seen as the premium model. If that doesn't exist, but the Ford version does...I think people will have no issue with buying Blue Oval. Especially if the Platinum model is debutted with features exclusive to it alone compared to the XLT/EB/Limited/KR trims

Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 AM
CarbonClear
Senior User
If Ford increases the prices any higher on the expeditions people will still buy them. Some of Fords pickups are all ready hitting over 65k at the moment.

Personally I think it will make people look at other brands in that price range,
such as Range Rover, Mercedes, Cadillac.... It will be interesting to see what Ford does come up with it though.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM
nruggiero
Junior User
The Navigator is an iconic luxury SUV nameplate. It had very decent sales through the years. Cadillac's Escalade doesn't have any plans to let it fade away. Lincoln has to have something to compete with. Remember the Navigator was a success, the Mark LT wasn't.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Cadillac in general has done a better job of appealing the younger market where I still consider Lincoln to be an old person's vehicle.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:21 AM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
Originally Posted by nruggiero
The Navigator is an iconic luxury SUV nameplate. It had very decent sales through the years. Cadillac's Escalade doesn't have any plans to let it fade away. Lincoln has to have something to compete with. Remember the Navigator was a success, the Mark LT wasn't.
Lincoln will still have a rival for the Escalade. The report says if the full-size body-on-frame Navigator is discontinued in 2014, it will get a full-size monocoque (unibody) replacement based on the new Explorer with the Lincoln version getting its own sheet metal completely unrelated to the Explorer’s appearance. Remember the Explorer is classed as full-size now, not mid-size. So it can complete with the full-size Escalade.

If it’s the name your worried about, there is a chance the Navigator nameplate may get transferred over to the new monocoque SUV.

Originally Posted by www.autonews.com
"Ford could phase out the MKT along with the Ford Flex after the 2014 model year. At that point, a source says, Ford could replace the MKT and Lincoln Navigator with a Ford Explorer-based vehicle. It would have exclusive sheet metal and more off-road capability than the MKT"

Old 08-08-2010, 09:12 PM
nruggiero
Junior User
I think Ford makes the worst mistakes. They discontinue Mercury when they could of had a Sable and a Cougar. Lincoln is making the worst mistake by discontinuing the Town Car. They are also discontinuing the Ranger. They let these vehicles go over the years. It is a disgrace. Alan Mulally drives a Lexus. It seems like they don't care about us. The new Explorer has too much plastic exterior trim. A loaded out Limited cost over $50,000 and you still get the crappy plastic trim. They don't even offer a XLT Premium or XLT Sport. This thing is too boring. We will see what happens though.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:44 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I think Ford makes the worst mistakes. They discontinue Mercury when they could of had a Sable and a Cougar. Lincoln is making the worst mistake by discontinuing the Town Car. They are also discontinuing the Ranger. They let these vehicles go over the years. It is a disgrace. Alan Mulally drives a Lexus. It seems like they don't care about us. The new Explorer has too much plastic exterior trim. A loaded out Limited cost over $50,000 and you still get the crappy plastic trim. They don't even offer a XLT Premium or XLT Sport. This thing is too boring. We will see what happens though.
Who said the Ranger is being discontinued? As I understand things, the Ranger is getting a make over for the 2012 MY. The Sport trac is being discontinued. No biggy there.

Lincoln just needs a ground up make over.

Mercury's lagging sales are dragging Ford's profits down.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM
nruggiero
Junior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Who said the Ranger is being discontinued? As I understand things, the Ranger is getting a make over for the 2012 MY. The Sport trac is being discontinued. No biggy there.

Lincoln just needs a ground up make over.

Mercury's lagging sales are dragging Ford's profits down.
They are closing the Ranger plant after the 2011my. Ford ruined Mercury. That was their fault. It looks like Lincoln is next. They need to target younger people like Cadillac. If I wanted American luxury, Cadillac would be my only choice.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:28 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
They are closing the Ranger plant after the 2011my. Ford ruined Mercury. That was their fault. It looks like Lincoln is next. They need to target younger people like Cadillac. If I wanted American luxury, Cadillac would be my only choice.
And Cadillac techs enjoy some of the best job security in the auto business. Their shops are full of them.

Ranger isn't going away, too much competition in that segment.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 AM
07EXPYEL
Senior User
FWIW, My wife and I, and My brother and his wife rented a Flex this summer and absolutely loved it driving through Olymipic National Park and washington state. We had to upgrade because we had cruise sized luggage for 4 adults and couldn't fit it all in a towncar. The nav sys was great and very comofortable for 4 adults. I found it be a very stylish, smooth riding, quiet, refined vehicle. I'd highly consider if I didn't need the Expyedition for my wife and 5 kids.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: News on the next Expedition & Navigator, Navigator may wave goodbye.