1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need help with a 59' F-100

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:26 PM
allfiller08
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with a 59' F-100

I recently picked up a 59' f100, in poor condition. I don't know much about this truck at all. Its a V8, 3 on the tree, i'm not sure how to tell if its 4wd or 2wd. Everything on the truck is 100% original except the tires. I can't find a service manual or an operators manual on it. Can someone please tell me how I can get some more info on this truck? I don't want to go to a mechanic, I am actually going to be attending ASE school soon and plan to do all of the repairs myself.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-08-2010, 12:46 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
post the VIN # ( Vehicle Identifiable Number ) , look under the front of the truck ( the part were the engine sets ) and see if the front axle looks like the back axle , or is it just a straight beam ?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FoMoCo Factory Truck shop Manuels can easily be obtained on e-Bay.
If it's not been Swapped Out, it'll more than likely be a 292 or 312 Y-Block 8 & the 3-on-the-tree is your 1st hint that it's a 2x4, as all 4x4's had Floor Mounted Shift Levers.
Like any other difference between a 2x4 & a 4x4, the 4x4 rides @ least 6" higher than a 2x4 truck & it'll have the Punkin bulge on the front axle like the rear does, Dual Floor Mounted Shift Levers, an extra Propeller shaft to the Front axle & Trans to power it.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:23 PM
allfiller08
New User
Thanks for your replies - the VIN is F10J9R45151. The rear axle is straight and the front axle has a little curve to it, almost like so __ __
l____________l
I'm sure you get the idea. Given your info - It is a 2wd...

Old 11-08-2010, 03:03 PM
auerdoan
Junior User
go to ebay

type in 1959 ford truck repair manual.

thats where i got mine.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Welcome Allfillero8

I'm the proud owner of a Ford "fridge" myself. I've got a 58F100 custom hot rod. Many of us call these years "fridges" not because we or they are especially cold, but because the design so much resembles the Frigidaire in all its original glory=big white box haha.

At least mine is white/and they're all boxes for sure. But cool looking for sure.

Goodluck with the build

Tom

Old 11-09-2010, 08:16 PM
quiggs1404
New User
Welcome! I am also the proud owner of a '59 Fridge. The service manual i purchased on ebay has helped me immensely. I half also purchased a parts catalogue for 59 ford trucks and it is great because many of the mechanical systems have exploded views. Be sure and post some pics so we can all see it. Enjoy!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by quiggs1404
Welcome! I am also the proud owner of a '59 Fridge. The service manual i purchased on ebay has helped me immensely. I half also purchased a parts catalogue for 59 ford trucks and it is great because many of the mechanical systems have exploded views. Be sure and post some pics so we can all see it. Enjoy!
Pics? for sure If you left click once on my name on this post, you should get a drop down box and select gallery etc. I have one gallerly for the F100 and one for the 48F1.

For sure the manuals are great.

Goodluck
Tom

Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Great picks, but according to California law,

Passenger Vehicle Bumper Requirements
28071. Every passenger vehicle registered in this state shall be equipped with a front bumper and with a rear bumper. As used in this section, "bumper" means any device designed and intended by a manufacturer to prevent the front or rear of the body of the vehicle from coming into contact with any other motor vehicle. This section shall not apply to any passenger vehicle that is required to be equipped with an energy absorption system pursuant to either state or federal law, or to any passenger vehicle which was not equipped with a front or rear bumper, or both, at the time that it was first sold and registered under the laws of this or any other state or foreign jurisdiction.

Amended Ch. 451, Stats. 1973. Effective January 1, 1974.
Source(s):
V C Section 28071 Passenger Vehicle Bumper Requirements

Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Col Flashman
Great picks, but according to California law,

Passenger Vehicle Bumper Requirements
28071. Every passenger vehicle registered in this state shall be equipped with a front bumper and with a rear bumper. As used in this section, "bumper" means any device designed and intended by a manufacturer to prevent the front or rear of the body of the vehicle from coming into contact with any other motor vehicle. This section shall not apply to any passenger vehicle that is required to be equipped with an energy absorption system pursuant to either state or federal law, or to any passenger vehicle which was not equipped with a front or rear bumper, or both, at the time that it was first sold and registered under the laws of this or any other state or foreign jurisdiction.

Amended Ch. 451, Stats. 1973. Effective January 1, 1974.
Source(s):
V C Section 28071 Passenger Vehicle Bumper Requirements
Well that's interesting. I didn't know about that law. And its funny I've got two trucks with no bumpers. a 48(not pictured in my gallery/ its a non Ford) half ton that is chopped and channeled, and also my 58F100 prostreet truck. The 48 does have the front bumper, but my own made nerf bars in the rear and I've driven it for 12years on a daily basis and have never been stopped--I doubt the little rear nerf bars qualify as a bumper--maybe. And the 58F100 of mine with zero front or rear bumpers i just finished a year or two ago and I don't drive it all that much, but plenty of cops--many of which are car guys--have seen it and I drive it around regularly and have never had any warnings or criticism from the law etc? Those are just the facts/I'm not saying it isn't the law. But no one has in any way enforced it against me and I don't know of any other modded trucks or cars--people i know--who have been ticketed or warned.

For what its worth--that's been my experience and I've lived here for 40 years. So it must be one of those violations that they "can" enforce if they have to/or want to etc. But I've never seen it happen in my "own little world of acquaintances etc". Maybe if I was a court reporter or something I'd see it then? I suppose I could somehow put together some nerf bars for the white truck in the rear easily enough, the front would be harder/but doable. I'll have to keep on my toes about that. Thanks for the heads up.

Goodluck

Old 11-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Here's two videos of the truck. The first is the startup in my shop and the other two are some drag racing at Infinion Raceway:

YouTube - 58 F100 Prostreet

YouTube - 58 F100 prostreet-drags1
YouTube - 58 F100 prostreet-drags2

Goodluck Tom

Old 11-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tomget
Well that's interesting. I didn't know about that law. And its funny I've got two trucks with no bumpers. a 48(not pictured in my gallery/ its a non Ford) half ton that is chopped and channeled, and also my 58F100 prostreet truck. The 48 does have the front bumper, but my own made nerf bars in the rear and I've driven it for 12years on a daily basis and have never been stopped--I doubt the little rear nerf bars qualify as a bumper--maybe. And the 58F100 of mine with zero front or rear bumpers i just finished a year or two ago and I don't drive it all that much, but plenty of cops--many of which are car guys--have seen it and I drive it around regularly and have never had any warnings or criticism from the law etc? Those are just the facts/I'm not saying it isn't the law. But no one has in any way enforced it against me and I don't know of any other modded trucks or cars--people i know--who have been ticketed or warned.

For what its worth--that's been my experience and I've lived here for 40 years. So it must be one of those violations that they "can" enforce if they have to/or want to etc. But I've never seen it happen in my "own little world of acquaintances etc". Maybe if I was a court reporter or something I'd see it then? I suppose I could somehow put together some nerf bars for the white truck in the rear easily enough, the front would be harder/but doable. I'll have to keep on my toes about that. Thanks for the heads up.

Goodluck
That's because LEO agencies No Longer on the Whole have the Budget to set up Street Safety Inspection Stations that they used to do on a regular basis.

Just wishing to give you a Heads-Up so that if & when it happens, that it's not totally out of left field.

I've lived here in Los Angeles County ALL my life, which means I've a couple of years on you & I've seen this Law "Enforced" time & again mostly by the Sheriff's Dept.

There are Vehicle Safety Street Inspection Stations that Pop-Up on Arrow Hwy & Foothill Blvd. @ least once a month, where Beaters & Modders are always being asked to pull over for Closer Safety inspections.

I look @ Modders such as this & just wonder @ it, no matter how Cool it looks, because there's absolutely Nothing any longer there to Absorb the Initial frontal or rear Impact of another vehicle.

I had an "Olde Bat" in her Ricer bash into front right quarter panel my '58 Mercury M-100. This happened after she Blew through a Red Light & if wasn't for the Front Bumper taking ALL of the Initial Impact I wouldn't be driving the Olde Girl right now. They had to call a Tilt Bed truck to the scene in order to take her Ricer out of the Intersection, where as I drove the "Wee Beastie" home. The Bumper was straightened, repainted & the Sheet Metal was unfolded from where it was rolled under. If it wasn't for the Bumper the "Olde Girls" complete quarter panel would've had to been replaced instead.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

[quote=Col Flashman;9542961]
I've lived here in Los Angeles County ALL my life, which means I've a couple of years on you & I've seen this Law "Enforced" time & again mostly by the Sheriff's Dept.

I look @ Modders such as this & just wonder @ it, no matter how Cool it looks, because there's absolutely Nothing any longer there to Absorb the Initial frontal or rear Impact of another vehicle..."

Well Col let me answer your question. Modders such as me and others don't look at their cars/trucks as bumpercars. That's really all there is too it. For sure probably any mod in anyway done to any vehicle will in some way--life threatening or not--somehow "could" reduce the vehicles ability for "crash dummy type" impacts. I don't doubt that. But many of us believe the additional risk is OK.

I mean its like this life is all about how much risk each is willing to take. And its really a personal thing--not withstanding all the government laws--as you correctly point out.

For instance I'm a long time cyclist--a roadie. Been riding for over 20years and yes for sure I wear one of those standard styrfoam filled helmets--but really what's gonna happen to me if someone plows their rice burner into me? How's that gonna be? I'm sure you know. I've lost cycling friends to "death by car"--I even got hit once myself-but it was a slow car turning into my side--ooh getting "clipped by a car" not good for the spine--its forever haha. But those of us of the human persuasion make choices about risks.

Some people are very concerned and unwilling to take risks--Good for them.
Others are not as conservative and are more risk taking.

I'm sure I'm the "risktaker"-in some respects yes-in some no. I've been driving fast--as a kid--not as an adult, but been painting cars/amateur welding/cutting that very sharp mild steel/ etc and driving since whenever. I've driven all kinds of military track vehicles in the ocean and on land even with 105mm howitzers and firing that big gun all the while haha , used most all kinds of C4 plastic explosives/det cord/bangalore torpedoes/rocket launchers/grenades/a lot of rifles/pistols/dynamite .... I would stand on my Mom's lap and steer when I was 4ys old--And have always been doing car stuff. drag racing/autocrossing/painting cars/high speed blowouts at over 115mph/ and one head on collision with a Big grocery story beer truck at 55mph--OUCH. So I'm a risk taker--more than some anyway. And I've outlived pretty much all my friends who weren't! So what can i say?

I know the government regularly gets into protecting the public--I dont' see anything wrong if the taxpayers want the government to establish vehicle safety/impact and such legislation guidelines etc. But I think that is all about protecting the consumer who thinks "everything" is safe. or not. And I would suggest people are wrong to think things are ever safe. Really anything can happen--there's always risk. The question is how high or how low is the risk? Its always there.

Individuals that mod things are indicating that they're willing to take the responsibility of their safety into their own hands. In general I think that's OK.

And some trucks like mine, even without bumpers is one sturdy big piece of steel in todays world. My truck of mild steel #4000 pounds with a 5 point roll cage and shoulder and lap harness is plenty safe and passes NHRA drag racing specs. And imo is a lot safer than most of the cars/trucks around me. But I'm not an engineer. And i dont' think i need to be.

And you mentioned you've got a couple years on me--regarding your living in LA? How old are you? I'm 64. And in all my life!! The last 40years here in Napa county and before that in Oregon for 24 years--I have never seen a roadside safety check by anyone!! I'm not saying something like that can't or doesn't exist. I'm just saying in all my years of driving whatever, I've never encountered one. That's all. Whether CHP or County or whatever. Never seen one. Unless we're talking about some sort of DUI slow down/look at me type thing. I have seen those, but they just said hi--or something and I kept going etc. They were just looking for drinkers etc. At least that's a holiday thing around here.

So it doesn't worry me about Modders--no matter how risky. Its a choice they make-- what do you think about Harleys? I wont even go there haha.

Goodluck

Old 11-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
[QUOTE=Tomget;9543193]
Originally Posted by Col Flashman

I look @ Modders such as this & just wonder @ it, no matter how Cool it looks, because there's absolutely Nothing any longer there to Absorb the Initial frontal or rear Impact of another vehicle..."

Well Col let me answer your question. Modders such as me and others don't look at their cars/trucks as bumpercars. That's really all there is too it. For sure probably any mod in anyway done to any vehicle will in some way--life threatening or not--somehow "could" reduce the vehicles ability for "crash dummy type" impacts. I don't doubt that. But many of us believe the additional risk is OK.

I mean its like this life is all about how much risk each is willing to take. And its really a personal thing--not withstanding all the government laws--as you correctly point out.

For instance I'm a long time cyclist--a roadie. Been riding for over 20years and yes for sure I wear one of those standard styrfoam filled helmets--but really what's gonna happen to me if someone plows their rice burner into me? How's that gonna be? I'm sure you know. I've lost cycling friends to "death by car"--I even got hit once myself-but it was a slow car turning into my side--ooh getting "clipped by a car" not good for the spine--its forever haha. But those of us of the human persuasion make choices about risks.

Some people are very concerned and unwilling to take risks--Good for them.
Others are not as conservative and are more risk taking.

I'm sure I'm the "risktaker"-in some respects yes-in some no. I've been driving fast--as a kid--not as an adult, but been painting cars/amateur welding/cutting that very sharp mild steel/ etc and driving since whenever. I've driven all kinds of military track vehicles in the ocean and on land even with 105mm howitzers and firing that big gun all the while haha , used most all kinds of C4 plastic explosives/det cord/bangalore torpedoes/rocket launchers/grenades/a lot of rifles/pistols/dynamite .... I would stand on my Mom's lap and steer when I was 4ys old--And have always been doing car stuff. drag racing/autocrossing/painting cars/high speed blowouts at over 115mph/ and one head on collision with a Big grocery story beer truck at 55mph--OUCH. So I'm a risk taker--more than some anyway. And I've outlived pretty much all my friends who weren't! So what can i say?

I know the government regularly gets into protecting the public--I dont' see anything wrong if the taxpayers want the government to establish vehicle safety/impact and such legislation guidelines etc. But I think that is all about protecting the consumer who thinks "everything" is safe. or not. And I would suggest people are wrong to think things are ever safe. Really anything can happen--there's always risk. The question is how high or how low is the risk? Its always there.

Individuals that mod things are indicating that they're willing to take the responsibility of their safety into their own hands. In general I think that's OK.

And some trucks like mine, even without bumpers is one sturdy big piece of steel in todays world. My truck of mild steel #4000 pounds with a 5 point roll cage and shoulder and lap harness is plenty safe and passes NHRA drag racing specs. And imo is a lot safer than most of the cars/trucks around me. But I'm not an engineer. And i dont' think i need to be.

And you mentioned you've got a couple years on me--regarding your living in LA? How old are you? I'm 64. And in all my life!! The last 40years here in Napa county and before that in Oregon for 24 years--I have never seen a roadside safety check by anyone!! I'm not saying something like that can't or doesn't exist. I'm just saying in all my years of driving whatever, I've never encountered one. That's all. Whether CHP or County or whatever. Never seen one. Unless we're talking about some sort of DUI slow down/look at me type thing. I have seen those, but they just said hi--or something and I kept going etc. They were just looking for drinkers etc. At least that's a holiday thing around here.

So it doesn't worry me about Modders--no matter how risky. Its a choice they make-- what do you think about Harleys? I wont even go there haha.

Goodluck
Like you stated, Your Call, but I Do Not Look @ My '58 Mercury M-100 Truck As A Bumper Car!
I'm a THIRD Generation Owner of my Great Uncle's Ranch Truck & I'M rather Protective of the Olde Girl, though she is my daily driver.

I'm glad you've such Deep Pockets to have these kinds of beliefs, most of us Do Not. Some of us Are rather attached to our "Orphan Years" trucks & can't readily replace them. You call yourself a "risktaker" in certain respects, I & others have a different name for that, Cannon-fodder & Roadkill come to mind. c];-)

Usually when some one states that they've been in California for a certain amount of time, it usually means they Actually were born here. So it seems I'm not anywhere near your age, though I've Lived in California longer than you have. It does seem because of where I Grew up, I've had to Endure the Local LEO's more than you have w/ the Enforcement of Vehicle Safety Codes, some of them over 70 years old.

Mobile Sobriety Cheque Points are rather common here, but as I stated previously, Here in Los Angels County, in my neck of the woods @ least, ONCE a Month Mobile Street Safety Inspection Stations are set-up. The Napa Valley always has been a tick more Lenient w/ the enforcement towards vehicle safety codes, being an Agro community w/ its lower Population per square mile as compared to L.A. County.

I find some of your statements rather interesting seen as how this Bumper Law has been on the Books for Over 70 years & it seems you've never been Hit by another vehicle in one your Modded trucks! One would also hope that you've @ least a Master Welders Cert. w/ all the mods you're doing, otherwise You're just an Accident waiting to happen.

As I stated before, WITHOUT the Bumper Absorbing the Initial Impact My Stocker '58 M-100 would Have been Damaged rather severely.
The Sheet Metal Alone Is Not enough to save your Truck, though Your NHRA spec Role Cage & 4 or 5 Point safety belts will let you walk away, but your truck will POTENTIALLY be TOTALED w/ the force of the Impact mine sustained.

I was associated w/ the Corps for 10 years in an Unofficial OPFOR's unit teaching Guerrilla Warfare Tactics. My only problem was 105 & 155 Arty barrages that landed Short on more than one occasion that almost took out my Whole Unit. When one signs up, one is stating that they are Willing to Lay Down their Life for their fellow soldiers, family, God & Country. So your bragging about your time in & playing w/ everything you mentioned doesn't impress me.

Try loosing a friend & Daily cyclist to work, to a Head-On impact w/ an 8 Point Mule Deer that jumped out in front of him while he Cycling to work @ NASA/JPL in Alta Dena, CA. And that's not the first time a Daily Cyclist has died in this manner in that area.

My cybs & I @ about the same age you mentioned were sitting on our parents laps Steering & Shifting @ the same time, so once again, I'm not impressed .

I grew up riding English Iron w/o a helmet, Triumph, Velocet, Matchless, Cotton, AJS, etc. I also raced AMA T.T. courses in the 200CC class on Tiger & Mountain Cubs. I raced in the AMA 200cc bike class for 10 years following all the Safety Rules.

I've also been sideswiped by a speeding Full-sized American manufactured car on my GN400 thumper, while getting off of an Off Ramp on the South bound 5 Fwy in Burbank, causing several thousand dollars worth of damage to my bike & a 12 hour E.R. stay for me. So your slow speed encounter on your cycle while tragic, isn't comparable. My usual ride these days is a 750cc Vulcan while I restore my English Iron. So your assumptions are rather incorrect.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

[quote=Col Flashman;9543660]
Originally Posted by Tomget

Like you stated, Your Call, but I Do Not Look @ My '58 Mercury M-100 Truck As A Bumper Car!
I'm a THIRD Generation Owner of my Great Uncle's Ranch Truck & I'M rather Protective of the Olde Girl, though she is my daily driver.

I'm glad you've such Deep Pockets to have these kinds of beliefs, most of us Do Not. Some of us Are rather attached to our "Orphan Years" trucks & can't readily replace them. You call yourself a "risktaker" in certain respects, I & others have a different name for that, Cannon-fodder & Roadkill come to mind. c];-)

Usually when some one states that they've been in California for a certain amount of time, it usually means they Actually were born here. So it seems I'm not anywhere near your age, though I've Lived in California longer than you have. It does seem because of where I Grew up, I've had to Endure the Local LEO's more than you have w/ the Enforcement of Vehicle Safety Codes, some of them over 70 years old.

Mobile Sobriety Cheque Points are rather common here, but as I stated previously, Here in Los Angels County, in my neck of the woods @ least, ONCE a Month Mobile Street Safety Inspection Stations are set-up. The Napa Valley always has been a tick more Lenient w/ the enforcement towards vehicle safety codes, being an Agro community w/ its lower Population per square mile as compared to L.A. County.

I find some of your statements rather interesting seen as how this Bumper Law has been on the Books for Over 70 years & it seems you've never been Hit by another vehicle in one your Modded trucks! One would also hope that you've @ least a Master Welders Cert. w/ all the mods you're doing, otherwise You're just an Accident waiting to happen.

As I stated before, WITHOUT the Bumper Absorbing the Initial Impact My Stocker '58 M-100 would Have been Damaged rather severely.
The Sheet Metal Alone Is Not enough to save your Truck, though Your NHRA spec Role Cage & 4 or 5 Point safety belts will let you walk away, but your truck will POTENTIALLY be TOTALED w/ the force of the Impact mine sustained.

I was associated w/ the Corps for 10 years in an Unofficial OPFOR's unit teaching Guerrilla Warfare Tactics. My only problem was 105 & 155 Arty barrages that landed Short on more than one occasion that almost took out my Whole Unit. When one signs up, one is stating that they are Willing to Lay Down their Life for their fellow soldiers, family, God & Country. So your bragging about your time in & playing w/ everything you mentioned doesn't impress me.

Try loosing a friend & Daily cyclist to work, to a Head-On impact w/ an 8 Point Mule Deer that jumped out in front of him while he Cycling to work @ NASA/JPL in Alta Dena, CA. And that's not the first time a Daily Cyclist has died in this manner in that area.

My cybs & I @ about the same age you mentioned were sitting on our parents laps Steering & Shifting @ the same time, so once again, I'm not impressed .

I grew up riding English Iron w/o a helmet, Triumph, Velocet, Matchless, Cotton, AJS, etc. I also raced AMA T.T. courses in the 200CC class on Tiger & Mountain Cubs. I raced in the AMA 200cc bike class for 10 years following all the Safety Rules.

I've also been sideswiped by a speeding Full-sized American manufactured car on my GN400 thumper, while getting off of an Off Ramp on the South bound 5 Fwy in Burbank, causing several thousand dollars worth of damage to my bike & a 12 hour E.R. stay for me. So your slow speed encounter on your cycle while tragic, isn't comparable. My usual ride these days is a 750cc Vulcan while I restore my English Iron. So your assumptions are rather incorrect.
I haven't lost any of my truck builds and my trucks are very important to me. And I'm certainly not trying to in anyway impress you when I tell you about my history--I was just telling you about me. That's all. Pointing out that i have a lifelong history of doing stuff/and car related too. And stuff that you might think is risky. Since you were talking about the risk modded trucks were taking etc.

And I didn't inherit my truck--its not a family heirloom--it was cast out by some non-modded owner who pretty much used it death and then parked it out in a field until I came along and salvaged it. I'm the one who has restored it/not hurt it. I saved it.

My point is that "I dont' think its likely i'll get into a crash". I dont' have deep pockets, I'm retired and live on social security--- OK?

My point is I don't think the odds are high that I will every get ran into. Its a very low risk. Of course anything can happen but its not likely. Why? The big reason is that I don't drive much. I don't think i drove all of my trucks more than 4000miles in total last year! That's not much exposure. And its probably not that different for other modded trucks. I'm sure it varies but many modded trucks are just used on occassion.

Colonel--I think you just aren't much of a live and let live guy. Or at least you don't seem like it. I wonder if you see a modded truck and you see someone "daring to be different than you" and you just don't like it. Or have you found someone not wearing his uniform in the "official" manner because you've got the rulebook and it says so? Well no one here in the real world seems to care about that rule. Do they? I'm sorry colonel.

And unless a real policeman writes me a fix it ticket or tells me to get some bumpers etc, I won't be changing anything.
If and when they do--for sure I will, but my point is they haven't.
And I've had numerous friendly discussions with California cops in my travels who are just car guys and like to talk cars. They like the truck and haven't made any criticisms or suggestions that I need to change anything. If they do-like i said--I'll make the adjustment. Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: Need help with a 59' F-100