2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?? Question for front end Guru's.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Sako 75
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?? Question for front end Guru's.

Had new tires installed about 5,000 miles ago. I am noticing abnormal wear to the outside tread of the front tires. Prior to the installation of the new tires I installed new strut cartridges and had a four wheel thrust angle alignment. The truck drives straight - no pull or drift - and handles very well except for what feels like a "dive", when cornering quickly at moderate (40 mph) speeds.

I thought I would ask some of the geometry Guru's for some advice. I took it back to my tire shop to have them re-check the alignment. Everything is within acceptable specs. I even questioned the tech - no offense intended - did he understand the geometry, or was he simply following the manufacturer's specs for this vehicle. I also made sure he was aware of the load that I always carry in the bed.

When I installed the new strut cartridges, I put the 48" gorilla bar to the front end, checking for worn components. I took the truck to my tire shop, had them put it on the rack and check for worn parts. When I put new calipers on, about 1,000 miles back, I checked again for worn parts. All is tight.

This is an issue that started to surface a few thousand miles prior to the new tire install.

My thoughts are: I think I need some negative camber (out of spec.) thrown in.

I have a 2.5 inch leveling kit with 2 inch add a leaf rear springs.

I always - always have at least 800lbs in the cargo box.

Front end geometry is not something I know alot about -- any ideas?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Bob, describe the abnormal wear a little more if you can.

The reason I ask is that I had some "feathering" on the outside most edge of both left and right front of the tires that I just got rid of for the LTX's. I told the shop that I didn't need an alignment, but they checked it anyway. Turns out that both fronts were slightly "toe in" (like calling some pigeon toed) and that was likely the cause of the feathering. The camber on each tire was where it should be, but each tire was slightly turned inward.

I'm wondering if you should have them check your alignment while the truck is fully loaded. Just my $.02

Old 12-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Sako 75
Senior User
When I took it in today, it had about 1,000 lbs in the bed. My thoughts are -- with as much weight as I carry, and with the strut extensions, -- maybee a little negative camber. ???

Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like you could use a little more negative camber. If it feel like the tire wants to fold under while cornering, it sounds like a camber issue to me.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah I'm with you guys now on the camber. After thinking about it a little more, you're basically closer to full droop with that much weight. A little neg. camber could be the fix.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:46 AM
pelphrey
New User
I had a 2'' front end leveling kit put on mine recently and the shop told me when I get new tires I should probably look into the ford camber bolts. This wasn't a ford shop so they told me they were specific and priced at $150. Seemed reasonable considering the price of tires! Might be a similar issue??

Old 12-30-2010, 05:16 AM
Sako 75
Senior User
[quote=MCDavis;9749129]Bob, describe the abnormal wear a little more if you can.

Sorry, I missed that in my last reply. It seems to be wearing on the outboard edge, as if there was a serious toe-in issue.

It sounds as though the general consensus is -- a camber issue. Considering the price of these tires, I think I will take it to a frame and alignment shop to get another opinion.

Thanks guys.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Greg B
Postmaster
When you take it to a frame and alignment shop, remember that Ford give a wide tolerance of acceptable camber settings. If it's wearing the outside edge and the tow-in is good, have them adjust another 1/2 degree of negative camber from where it's set at now for a starting point. If they really know their stuff, they'll probably make that suggestion to you. I'd remain with the truck if possible so that you can express your concerns to the tech doing the alignment.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Sako 75
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greg B
When you take it to a frame and alignment shop, remember that Ford give a wide tolerance of acceptable camber settings. If it's wearing the outside edge and the tow-in is good, have them adjust another 1/2 degree of negative camber from where it's set at now for a starting point. If they really know their stuff, they'll probably make that suggestion to you. I'd remain with the truck if possible so that you can express your concerns to the tech doing the alignment.

Thanks Greg B,

That is exactly what I did at my tire shop (Very good company BTW).
Their company policy would not let them adjust the alignment to "out of spec".

Thanks again for the input.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
If their policy won't let them adjust to out of spec then they are more concerned about what their attorneys tell them than customer satisfaction. I don't care what the spec sheet says, if you are wearing tires uneven it is out of spec, period. I would not take another vehicle to them for anything if they can't get a good alignment on your truck and give that story to you. A good alignment will give you even tire wear and good handling. If that's not occurring then either the truck has some bad parts or the alignment is incorrect and out of spec.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 PM
tooldad
Elder User
Not sure if my situation was exactly the same, but a lot of similarities. I installed the 2" AS leveling kit on the front, then had an alignment done. The new tires proceeded to wear on the outside edges. About 1.5 years later I had another alignment completed, both done at my dealer. Continued to wear. On suggestion of 4WheelParts techs, I had them install camber/caster adjustment bolts (from NAPA) and align after I just replaced my tires. This was done on Christmas Eve, so no feedback yet (except rides & drives great). They said Ford provides little camber adjustment and more is needed sometimes with the levelling kits.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:35 AM
pelphrey
New User
Originally Posted by tooldad
Not sure if my situation was exactly the same, but a lot of similarities. I installed the 2" AS leveling kit on the front, then had an alignment done. The new tires proceeded to wear on the outside edges. About 1.5 years later I had another alignment completed, both done at my dealer. Continued to wear. On suggestion of 4WheelParts techs, I had them install camber/caster adjustment bolts (from NAPA) and align after I just replaced my tires. This was done on Christmas Eve, so no feedback yet (except rides & drives great). They said Ford provides little camber adjustment and more is needed sometimes with the levelling kits.

Figured someone else made these camber bolts. I'll have to check into these. Thanks!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:58 AM
tooldad
Elder User
Originally Posted by pelphrey
Figured someone else made these camber bolts. I'll have to check into these. Thanks!
NAPA - $55+ per set (need two sets)
ProComp - $40.99 per set (recommend these based on the problems with my install)

Old 01-02-2011, 03:08 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Sako 75
I always - always have at least 800lbs in the cargo box.
is this weight in the truck when you are getting the alignment done?

if not, the truck is sitting normal. then the wieght makes the rear squat and the front pull up somewhat. this gives the tire more camber...hence the wear on the outer edges.

even if the truck is aligned with the weight in the bed, the front end has less weight on the front tires than designed. this naturally causes a tendancy for the suspension to lift slightly. by the design of the IFS, less weight will be placed on the inner edge of the tires, and more is seen on the outer edges. so more wear will be present on the outers.

and lastly, if you are turning alot with all of that wieght in the bed, the inertia of the truck causes the tires to take more force on the outer edges of the tire...which again wears them more than the inner edge.

btw, your leveling kit is compounding the issue. to correct for it, pretty much all of the adjustment in the suspension was used. so those camber bolts might be a very good thing to look into

Old 01-02-2011, 07:13 PM
pelphrey
New User
Originally Posted by tooldad
NAPA - $55+ per set (need two sets)
ProComp - $40.99 per set (recommend these based on the problems with my install)

Awesome. Thank you!!!

Quick Reply: ?? Question for front end Guru's.