Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2010, 07:33 PM
New User

East TX Tim is starting off with a positive reputation.
89 F150 Key off, truck tries to start

I'm rebuilding a 1989 F-150, 4.9L I6, 5 speed manual transmission.

We've recently got it back from the shop where they did some work on it (we swapped out fuel tanks and put in new pumps).

It was giving us trouble when trying to start and it took a lot of effort to turn the key and hold it down to start the motor. We finally got it kicked off then then we couldn't get the thing to turn off, even when turning the key off and out of the cylinder. We kept turning the key to run and then to off and it finally died.
I replaced the lock cylinder, but when I hooked up the battery (with the key in the off position), it tried to start so something is open somewhere.
I tried testing the start relay. I hooked up the negative cable to battery and used my volt meter to test from the negative post of the battery to the positive post of the relay and got no reading. So, that indicates to me that relay is closed like it is supposed to be.
What other tests can I do to isolate the problem?

Do you think the solenoid may be stuck open or short across somehow?

When we had started it earlier and released the key, the starter acted like it was still trying to turn over, but then it quit doing it.

How big of a pain is it to swap out the solenoid ?
Same question for the starter?

I realize that I'll have to jack it up and crawl under it. This thing is sitting out by the barn and not on a concrete floor so I like to have everything out there before I start so I don't have to keep crawling out from underneath it to get stuff.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Posting Legend

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
solenoid is bad. it is on the fender behind the battery. takes about 5 mins to change. but the real problem, that caused the solenoid to go bad, is that you have a bad ground. fresh paint, and grounds don't work. scrape some paint off the block where the ground bolts on, and put some dielectric grease on the bolt and cable to keep it from corroding

Charlie slackmaster #26
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
Old 11-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Senior User

CWPottenger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
yep sounds like solenoid.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Senior User

drjoe171 is starting off with a positive reputation.
+3 I had a girl run my truck across the field, shut it off, took the key out and handed it to dad. A few min later, we saw smoke coming out from under the hood. Solenoid on the fender well was stuck and smoked itself and the starter a real pretty blue steel color. glad it wasn't dark and parked in the barn, eh? Makes me want to disconnect the battery on these trucks every time I walk away from them
Old 11-11-2010, 01:28 AM