Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 AM
New User

provosc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Four wheel drive will not go into LOW gear

I am having some issues with my 1996 F 150 4 x 4. For some reason the four wheel drive will only work in HIGH gear. I tried to shift it into LOW but it won't even budge. Any ideas why it will not go into LOW gear? It's about to snow like hell in Telluride, Colorado and I really need to make sure my prized 1996 F-150 is running top notch! THanks
Old 11-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Elder User

CJM8515 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If it has a manual shifter and you have it in neutral when trying to shift and it still wont go in than I bet you 10 bucks it needs to have the mechanism under the truck lubed. Climb under there with a can of lubricant and spray away.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:37 AM
New User

provosc is starting off with a positive reputation.
I will have to try this. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Junior User

Big Ben is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine is doing the same thing, if that works post it up. I have been meaning to check the linkage and see if it is binding or frozen.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Postmaster

nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.
crawl under your truck with a set of sockets... disasemble all the linkages from the shifter in the cab to the t-case... clean them... I usually use a wire brush that is mounted to my table grinder to remove all the tarnish and rust. Then lube all contact points with WD40, white lithium, tranny fluid... LOL.. anything that lubes... I usually use bering/axle grease b/c it sticks a long time and won't dry out... Reassemble all parts... 85% cure rate for not going into Low Range...

You can use a spray lube to get you down the road but eventually it will dry out and the rust will have you all gummed up again... take it all apart and you'll last a lot longer. Plus you'll get to inspect the pieces as they come off...
Ol' Girl 83 F150 NP208 300 T18 - For sale!

Nathan - FTE Iowa Chapter
Old 11-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1996, 1997, 4wd, bronco, drive, expedition, f150, f350, ford, gear, high, low, pickup, shift, truck, wheel, wont