Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Posting Guru

critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.
185-190. Removed water pump last week and found no issues there.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Junior User

cajunsuperduty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok here is my take. And maybe a funny story. My heater quit working at idle after I changed my air filter. Some dummy (that would be me) forgot to hook the breather/overflow tube back up to the degass bottle after disconnecting it to get it out of the way to get the filter assembly out. Thank goodness that the position I laid the little hose in caused it to have a kink in it and only a gallon of coolant spurted out all over my engine over a three day period. The truck never ran hot, but the heater quit working at an idle which caused me to pop the hood and notice that I was low on coolant. Then I noticed that the hose was still disconnected (hence the dummy part). My point is that low coolant will definitely cause the heater not to heat at an idle problem.
04 Superduty FX4, 4" Stainless MBRP Turbo Back No Cat, No Muff (Ahhh the 04 Turbo Whistle), Zoodaded, 4.5" Donahoe Racing lift and "Edge" Signature Series Shocks, 35x12.50-18 NITTO Trail Grapplers, 18" Moto Metal 951's, Acetoned Badges, High Idle Mod, 05 Grill, Nathan K3 Locomotive horns Custom Mounted Underneath, Graham White Valve, 7.5gal Air Tank, Viair 480C.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:13 PM
New User

AceofExcursions is starting off with a positive reputation.
My father's Excursion does take a while to heat up. If you rock that gas pedal then it shoots out nice, hot air. But when It is just sitting there or just coasting, the heat hardly comes out. He said he has replaced the Radiator cap SEVERAL times and it works for a little bit after that. Winter is about to hit hard, and we have already had a couple of days. I would hate to have to bench the X, so does anyone know what I could do?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Ok, The heater hose goes from the front passenger side to the valve the onto the
heater core. From there to goes around the back of the engine and behind the FICM.
Where it reaches the "Y" under the degas bottle. The FICM is know to rub the hose
as it crosses. Could it somehow have been kinked or get crushed by the FICM?
Also have you proved that you do have good flow?

OOPS, I see that one of you working on an Ex. I don't know if the same applies for that.
The one thing I think needs to be looked at is coolant flow at idle.

Sean
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
If you have 4wd, and no hot air at idle ( but still cooler air flowing right?) could a vacuum leak cause the heater control valve to close?

A big vacuum leak would put the hvac into defrost, right? Or only on the auto eatc version?

Just throwing out a couple ideas.

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Posting Guru

Fal-308-Win has a great reputation on FTE.Fal-308-Win has a great reputation on FTE.Fal-308-Win has a great reputation on FTE.Fal-308-Win has a great reputation on FTE.Fal-308-Win has a great reputation on FTE.
Another vote for low coolant level

TIM. 2006 F350. 6.0l PSD, CC, LWB,LB,DRW,
ScanGauge II- STC Fitting -Blue Spring - Coolant Filter
Eds FICM REpair
Sent while sitting on the Throne from my
" THRONE PHONE"
Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
that Valve Stops Coolant at MAX A/C

Or when working Right that's what it should do

With all the Plugged Oil Cooler makes me wonder how many heater cores are Basicaly plugged to

He said it gets better for short time with new coolant cap so do you use OEM CAPS????
Old 11-14-2013, 04:31 PM
New User

I honestly have no idea how to check for half of these problems. My dad doesn't want to go out and work on it because he simply doesn't have the time. If I could get it running I would be a saint. He already threatened to sell it and park it for the whole winter. What I know is that we get heat when we drive. A few days ago, he was going to pick us up at school, and he left the thing running for 35 minutes trying to defrost the windshield. He went out later and it hadn't change a bit. He got really upset. He said he just filled the anti-freeze a few weeks ago and it is most likely low. There is no sign of a pool of anti freeze underneath it. Is there any place it could be leaking that wouldn't show signs? Also, he just changed the T-stat a few months ago and he said the blend doors are not the problem.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
May be a silly question. What color coolant is in it?

I'll have to do some digging to make sure this is right.
I think if you remove the small line from the degas bottle that comes from the intake
not the one from the radiator. Stick it into a bucket and see what the flow is. Do this
when it cool so you not dealing with all the pressure in the system.

If you have low flow and the system is full then you may have a bad impeller on
the pump itself.

My other question is are you loosing coolant?

Sean
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 11-14-2013, 05:24 PM
New User

May be a stupid question, but coolant is anti-freeze correct? If so, as I said, my dad said he just filled it about 2 weeks ago and he even keeps a container of anti-freeze in the back so my guess is yes.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Elder User

big inch has a good reputation on FTE.big inch has a good reputation on FTE.big inch has a good reputation on FTE.
Daniel Hardee
The first step in diagnosing any lack of heat concern is checking the coolant level. If it is low, then finding out where the coolant went would be a priority. External leaks, failed egr cooler and "blown" head gaskets are all common problems that lead to a lack of heat.

If the coolant level is ok, then the next step is to check the engine temperature. If the temperature won't reach 185 or so, then the thermostat is likely not working correctly.

If the temp checks out, then the next thing to check would be the temperature of the coolant entering and exiting the heater core. If there is a big difference between the coolant going in to the coolant going out, then the core is restricted. If neither side is warm, then there may be a coolant flow issue (likely a bad water pump).
Old 11-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Elder User

big inch has a good reputation on FTE.big inch has a good reputation on FTE.big inch has a good reputation on FTE.
Daniel Hardee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofExcursions View Post
May be a stupid question, but coolant is anti-freeze correct? If so, as I said, my dad said he just filled it about 2 weeks ago and he even keeps a container of anti-freeze in the back so my guess is yes.
Yes, coolant=anti-freeze.

It sounds like he could have a leaking egr cooler. A small leak can allow small amounts of coolant into the exhaust, but not cause much, or any smoke.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 PM
New User

What exactly is a leaking egr cooler? I really want to learn all this stuff, I just don't know where to learn it at
Old 11-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Elder User

Daniel Hardee
The egr cooler is located under the passenger side of the intake manifold. It directs exhaust to the intake through the egr valve. Coolant is circulated through the egr cooler to cool the exhaust some before it enters the intake manifold. The cooler has passages on the inside that look similar to a radiator or heater core. The passages are soldered, and the solder can melt under the high exhaust temps and begin to leak.

That's the Cliff Notes version.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofExcursions View Post
What exactly is a leaking egr cooler? I really want to learn all this stuff, I just don't know where to learn it at
A good place to start educating yourself is in the 6.0 tech folder at the beginning of the 6.0 forum. If you want more specifics on your vehicle then there is also an Excursion section but we have a lot of excursion guys that hang out here on a regular basis that are willing to help. The search function is your friend and can be overwhelming, but use it religiously.

Rest in peace Mojo. My friend and faithful companion you shall ever be.

Tim
Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 PM