6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Radio antenna replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Brian Uhlenhake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithLambert7
Could use the stock antenna as a good height pre-warning system so as not to crush the cab run lights. I'll cut it so that it's about a half an inch higher then the lights. If the antenna scrapes, I'll back up.
Keith,

That's what use it for - early warning on heigght. I lifted front 2". Parking deck at work has brown tube at 7' (84") as warning. I use to clear this by 1/4-1/2" now I hit it 1.5 or so inches up. I need to go measure my clearance lights, but I'm guessing they are now around 83"....

Brian

Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by KeithLambert7
Could use the stock antenna as a good height pre-warning system so as not to crush the cab run lights. I'll cut it so that it's about a half an inch higher then the lights. If the antenna scrapes, I'll back up.
Put an eight foot level on your cab. You'll be surprised where the cab lights are relative to the highest point of the roof.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:29 AM
mikespecht
Senior User
Originally Posted by srkr
Mine wouldn't fit in the garage either. So I took a hacksaw to it and pulled the ball off. I stuck the ball back on after the hacksaw job,...and touched up the scratches with black paint,,..works like a charm.

10 minute Fix.

Shane

I am going to have to try this. if i don't like the way it turns out i can buy a shorter antenna but why not try this free option first. my antenna always grinds on my garage door and also i have overhead storage racks in my garage that it hits on. for a split second everytime you go in or out of the garage you think u hit something.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:02 AM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got tired of my trucks sitting either outside or trying to protect them in an out building. When I built my last house, last year, I made sure the architect drew up 8 foot doors for all three garage bays. At first I was concerned on how it was going to look, but it turned out really nice, and my truck fits in the garage with 20 inch wheels and a big cap on the back!

Old 08-23-2015, 08:29 AM
montazh
New User
Replacement antenna 97 F250 powerstroke 4wd, 4dr diesel

Unlike others on here I prefer the OLD antenna that telescopes out longer and bumps against the garage etc. Where I live in Texas and Montana is far from radio stations and the replacement antennas are extremely poor, almost no reception.

Before I broke the OLD telescoping antenna I had great reception. I have tried several newer antennas that are solid and none worked well.

I went to a Ford dealer and they no longer sell the telescoping antenna.

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase two?

Old 08-23-2015, 10:26 AM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by montazh
Unlike others on here I prefer the OLD antenna that telescopes out longer and bumps against the garage etc. Where I live in Texas and Montana is far from radio stations and the replacement antennas are extremely poor, almost no reception.

Before I broke the OLD telescoping antenna I had great reception. I have tried several newer antennas that are solid and none worked well.

I went to a Ford dealer and they no longer sell the telescoping antenna.

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase two?
You might have to try a salvage/junk yard if you can't find a place to buy a new one.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:13 AM
Wizness
Senior User
Just installed this on mine last week. It's a thick antenna and I haven't' noticed any reception loss. Sits just right above the roof line.

Ford F150 (1980-2015) 24 inch CB Replacement AM FM Antenna

Old 08-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Rod Bensken
Senior User
I put a Craven antenna on mine. It's about 4" long. Only drawback, I have a much shorter range now, but I listen to my Sirus (sp) most of the time anyway.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:00 PM
clayguy
Freshman User
Shorten Antenna

Originally Posted by srkr
Mine wouldn't fit in the garage either. So I took a hacksaw to it and pulled the ball off. I stuck the ball back on after the hacksaw job,...and touched up the scratches with black paint,,..works like a charm.

10 minute Fix.

Shane
It's easy and a good fix. Aftermarket antennas sometimes work, but many will disappear into the bowels of the car wash the first time you go through. Removing the threaded stud left in the antenna holder can be very frustrating.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:33 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by blueovl150
This one is so easy, it makes me laugh!

Simply measure the distance from the floor to the top of the radio antenna mast. Then measure the distance from the top of the radio antenna mast to the obstruction. Then lower the suspension of the truck in question accordingly! You will clear the overhead obstruction with no problems, and your truck will look just that much cooler! (This modification may require that you purchase a "coffee can" tailpipe extension that makes your pickup sound flatulent...).

Wait...what?!? Your actually suggesting lowering the suspension to save a couple of inches on the antenna??
Turning your SD into a low rider when the rest of the sane truck world raises it. This is your easy solution.
Please tell me your joking or is it just drugs...

Old 10-13-2016, 07:08 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by ssunit1
Wait...what?!? Your actually suggesting lowering the suspension to save a couple of inches on the antenna??
Turning your SD into a low rider when the rest of the sane truck world raises it. This is your easy solution.
Please tell me your joking or is it just drugs...
Based on his last sentence, I took it as extreme sarcasm.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:32 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Based on his last sentence, I took it as extreme sarcasm.
I must acknowledge that you are probably right, now that I have actually read all of blueovl150 post. I stopped after he talked about the truck just looking that much cooler. Having read his entire post I can see that he was just being sarcastical.
blueovl150, you are just joking. Right?
Otherwise I'm going to try the coffee can modification and just see what happens....

Old 01-16-2019, 10:32 AM
Retiredout
Junior User
How did the ballcome off? Was it screwed on or glued on?

Old 01-16-2019, 05:11 PM
jchristian11
Cross-Country
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Retiredout
How did the ballcome off? Was it screwed on or glued on?
It’s glued on, after you cut off your antenna you’ll need to file it a little so that you can glue it back on the top.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:35 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Q? Instead of lowering the suspension wouldn't it be cheaper/ easier to fit 12" wheels/ tires on the truck?
Last time I purchased set of these (all 4 / 96 Toyota Tercel) they were only about $100, whitewalls were optional.

Quick Reply: Radio antenna replacement