6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Titan Tank Installation - VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I just checked the side of my tank, no deformation. If you had a vacuum in the tank, that would explain it. I'd be a little cautious about pumping a bunch of air into the tank though. Not sure if the tank seals or other fuel lines would like that. I'd say just give it a warm day with a full tank and it should straighten out.

I don't know what to think about the downhill hose theory either. I know I didn't do anything special when I installed mine. I'd suspect that little plastic vent at the end of the line first. Mine is easy to get to as it follows the route up onto the spout assembly. It would be a quick test to pull that out and blow in it a bit.
Ya, is there a one way valve on that line though? I remember reading that somewhere? I'll try that in the morning. I guess i dont understand how those hoses work? the stock one goes into the filler neck which is sealed off, right? Then this new hose, t's off the stock vent and just naturally vents from the outside air?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
For those of you with titan fuel tanks - TheDieselGarage.com

Found this interesting as well.... I went outside a blew into the tank, and I could blow air through, and also feel the check valve doing its job. Actually I blew all the air I could into it, then took off the filler neck cap and the air rushed out. So I guess that means I have no leaks in the system, plus the check valve is working. Also, just me blowing air into the tank made it expand out to just about the orig. size. (I'm full of hot air ) I'll watch this and see what happens. Thanks for the help Epic.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There hasn't been an update since March on the DieselStop thread. Was there anything after he went searching for the half inch valve?

Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
There hasn't been an update since March on the DieselStop thread. Was there anything after he went searching for the half inch valve?
I just found it. I found the .3 psi check valve interesting. The Titan guy said he wishes there was no check valve. i agree.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

It sounds from the Titan guy Mitch they wanted no vacuum in the tank and yet chose a very small check valve. From the problem you are describing, the check valve may be working fine when you blow in it (0.3 psi ain't a lot for you to overpower) but at that .3 psi they are targeting, I would think it would be very small and easy for that valve to get stuck closed. I believe that is why that guy went looking for a bigger valve.

Keep us posted! This is the next mod I want to do.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
It sounds from the Titan guy Mitch they wanted no vacuum in the tank and yet chose a very small check valve. From the problem you are describing, the check valve may be working fine when you blow in it (0.3 psi ain't a lot for you to overpower) but at that .3 psi they are targeting, I would think it would be very small and easy for that valve to get stuck closed. I believe that is why that guy went looking for a bigger valve.

Keep us posted! This is the next mod I want to do.
Are you having problems? Or is the whole tank the next mod? I might add that with this tank and it being about 3/4 full, when I come to a stop the fuel will come rushing forward and smash into the front of the tank. If you have the winddow down you can hear it, but you can for sure feel it in the truck. Its like the slop you feel when towing a trailer. No a huge deal, but this tank needs a baffle.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by lexustbs
Are you having problems? Or is the whole tank the next mod? I might add that with this tank and it being about 3/4 full, when I come to a stop the fuel will come rushing forward and smash into the front of the tank. If you have the winddow down you can hear it, but you can for sure feel it in the truck. Its like the slop you feel when towing a trailer. No a huge deal, but this tank needs a baffle.
The tank is/was next on my mod list (after the Recon running board lights). Stopping for fuel is getting pretty old. My reservations on the Titan setup fall into two areas. The first is the loss of the factory skid plate and the notching of the front plate. Based on the pictures I saw of these tanks, they sit an inch or two lower than the stock tank. Just not happy with their plastic solution.

The other area is the baffling. The usage of baffles is a structural consideration with a fuel tank. They are there for more than minimizing the sloshing sound. That sloshing is a lot of weight shifting back and forth. The baffles minimize this stress. The fact that it doesn't have them, concerns me a bit. It is not something you may see show up as a problem in a few weeks. But eventually that sloshing will put enough strain on the mounts and the tank that they might fail.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:01 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
Just received my 52 gallon Titan tank and skid plate. I plan on installing this weekend. I hope this goes as smooth as everyone else.....

-gascan

Old 05-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by gascan
Just received my 52 gallon Titan tank and skid plate. I plan on installing this weekend. I hope this goes as smooth as everyone else.....

-gascan
Take a look inside and see if they installed baffles yet...

Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by gascan

-gascan
Piece of cake. You'll love it.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:10 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
I did some serious miles today, and after taking the gas cap off, there was just a slight vacuum. But nothing like it was before. I think my problem is fixed! marauder, I did notice the instructions have changed on the Titan website. It says something about generation V? I hope there are not baffles. I'll be kinda upset. But I guess thats what you get for early adoption.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

I did some serious miles today, and after taking the gas cap off, there was just a slight vacuum. But nothing like it was before. I think my problem is fixed! marauder, I did notice the instructions have changed on the Titan website. It says something about generation V? I hope there are not baffles. I'll be kinda upset. But I guess thats what you get for early adoption.
If your problem comes back you may want to consider switching out that small check valve to something a bit larger.

I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out what changes they made. I really would like to see baffles in the tank. Say with 40 gallons in the tank, you are dealing with around 280 pounds of weight sloshing around.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:35 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Ya, its a nice thump when the tank is around 3/4 full. I just wonder what the fuel does to the sender in the tank? Does yours do this Epic? I would of paid a few hundred extra for the baffles. But with the straps that come with the tank, I dont think its going to come loose. Just place that order Marauder!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Ya, its a nice thump when the tank is around 3/4 full. I just wonder what the fuel does to the sender in the tank? Does yours do this Epic? I would of paid a few hundred extra for the baffles. But with the straps that come with the tank, I dont think its going to come loose. Just place that order Marauder!
I guess my hesitation comes from flying airplanes for the past 25 years. I just don't want to be anyone's Guinea Pig! The baffles helps protect the seams from extreme pressures. Even my 40 year old airplane has baffles in the tanks! I'm sure they did testing, but if they are on Generation V -- what changes have they made from Generation I?

They claim they are using military grade plastics. That may be so, but I betcha the military tanks have baffles and also a nice armor plate protecting them. I hate to say this, but I have been waiting a bit to see how they are holding up with you guys.

I'm sure they will be fine but it is a lot of money...

Old 05-05-2011, 09:03 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great video, thanks!

Quick Reply: Titan Tank Installation - VIDEO