Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-2015 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2010, 10:29 AM

Maxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputation
Curious, why does one wait until the last minute to look for fuel? I know my limits and usually pick up fuel way before I see fumes to get me to a destination.

2003 F-350 Reg Cab 6.0L
Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Postmaster

EpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4 View Post
Curious, why does one wait until the last minute to look for fuel? I know my limits and usually pick up fuel way before I see fumes to get me to a destination.
Why wait? Holy smokes, that was the whole problem. When towing, I just didn't have enough range and I cover 200 miles pretty fast and it's about that time the MTE started making me nervous. I said this before but I'd have to stop for fuel before I have to go pee. It's the whole feeling of just getting up a good head of steam and then feeling like you have to stop AGAIN to get fuel. That tended to make me stretch as far as I could which is a bad thing.

There's other things like, the kids are temporarily quiet so I push for another 20 miles before they ask "are we there yet"? Maybe I'm convoying with by buddies who have a Chev and a Dodge and they have larger tanks. In that situation, size does matter. lol
2" leveling kit/Rancho 9000XL shocks & dual stabilizer/B&W Hitch/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags/Air Lift Wireless On-board compressor/Viar on-board compressor & train horn/Titan 50 gallon tank/Line-X Bedliner/Door Seal Mod
Old 11-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Senior User

Great Danes is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick View Post
Why wait? Holy smokes, that was the whole problem. When towing, I just didn't have enough range and I cover 200 miles pretty fast and it's about that time the MTE started making me nervous. I said this before but I'd have to stop for fuel before I have to go pee. It's the whole feeling of just getting up a good head of steam and then feeling like you have to stop AGAIN to get fuel. That tended to make me stretch as far as I could which is a bad thing.

There's other things like, the kids are temporarily quiet so I push for another 20 miles before they ask "are we there yet"? Maybe I'm convoying with by buddies who have a Chev and a Dodge and they have larger tanks. In that situation, size does matter. lol
I'm with you Epic! My 1700 mile trip with the 8500lb trailer a few weeks ago was quite annoying having to stop every 3 hrs or so for fuel. I will do everything in my power to get this upgrade approved by the "Finance Dept"

2011 F350 Lariat CC 6.7L PSD - Limited Edition Seats
2010 Fuzion 302 Touring Edition II
Old 11-09-2010, 01:30 PM

Maxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputation
Each tank has a limit, I just noticed some, like to squeeze the fumes out.

2003 F-350 Reg Cab 6.0L
Old 11-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Senior User

Great Danes is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trust me... the last thing my family wants me to squeeze out in the truck, is fumes!!

2011 F350 Lariat CC 6.7L PSD - Limited Edition Seats
2010 Fuzion 302 Touring Edition II
Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Elder User

lexustbs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lexustbs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just installed my tank a few days ago. had a few questions.

What are those two blue spouts on each side of the tank that are covered up?

What did you do with your OEM tank and skid plate? Save it just in case, or did you toss it out? Thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 PM
New User

Pimptorious is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was thinking about getting one of them tanks, but I have a slip tank / toolbox that holds 85 gallons on the back of my truck. I worked it out last night and I have a fuel range of 2600kms. I think I should be good lol.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Posting Guru

porthole has a good reputation on FTE.porthole has a good reputation on FTE.porthole has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexustbs View Post
Just installed my tank a few days ago. had a few questions.

What are those two blue spouts on each side of the tank that are covered up?

What did you do with your OEM tank and skid plate? Save it just in case, or did you toss it out? Thanks!
On my GMC I cleaned it then tossed it.
Then when I sold the truck I had people contacting me asking if I was selling the tank.

Had I kept it I could have easily gotten 5-600 dollars for it and been half way to the new tank.

When the 65 becomes available I'll be keeping the OEM tank.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Internet Brands

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
Quote:
Honestly, I've always wondered about that. Obviously Ford wouldn't have spent the time putting ink to paper if it wasn't important. Guess it's just a mentality that it won't happen to me. Maybe the rubber in the jack distributes the load a little bit?
Ha!
Ford Techs at the factory use this procedure

I am guessing it is in the manual for the legal eagles.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Elder User

lexustbs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lexustbs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think I might have a problem with my tank. Is anybody else getting a rush of air when they open their tank to fill it up? I looked under the truck, and the inside of the tank is kinda sunk in? I hope I don't have to drop the tank and check the vent tube. I know its installed right.... I think
Old 05-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Postmaster

EpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud of
Quote:
I think I might have a problem with my tank. Is anybody else getting a rush of air when they open their tank to fill it up? I looked under the truck, and the inside of the tank is kinda sunk in? I hope I don't have to drop the tank and check the vent tube. I know its installed right.... I think
Lex - is it a vacuum in the tank or higher pressure? Does the air rush in or out of the tank when you open the cap?
2" leveling kit/Rancho 9000XL shocks & dual stabilizer/B&W Hitch/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags/Air Lift Wireless On-board compressor/Viar on-board compressor & train horn/Titan 50 gallon tank/Line-X Bedliner/Door Seal Mod
Old 05-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Lex - is it a vacuum in the tank or higher pressure? Does the air rush in or out of the tank when you open the cap?
I think a vacuum. But I could be wrong. Is your tank dented in twards the back just a little?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
I think a vacuum. But I could be wrong. Is your tank dented in twards the back just a little?
I just checked right now and found that there is no air movement when I take the fuel cap off the tank. Maybe your tank vent is not working?

I have the skid plate on my tank so I cannot see if it is deformed in any way.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Elder User

Quote:
I just checked right now and found that there is no air movement when I take the fuel cap off the tank. Maybe your tank vent is not working?

I have the skid plate on my tank so I cannot see if it is deformed in any way.
I just got back from inside and found that the T where the blue hose and the other two join was pointing down (the blue line was angled down then back up) I don't know if this was my problem or not, but I'll give it a shot. It says in the instructions for the vent line to always have a down hill run on it or else it will create a vaccum? It was the side next to the driveshaft that I noticed was caving in a little. Might try to stick a air nozzle in the tank tomorrow to get it back to shape.

trying to fix those hoses while the tank is mounted is nothing short of a miracle. Although my wrist and fingers look all cut up. Better than my fuel tank imploding I guess.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
I just got back from inside and found that the T where the blue hose and the other two join was pointing down (the blue line was angled down then back up) I don't know if this was my problem or not, but I'll give it a shot. It says in the instructions for the vent line to always have a down hill run on it or else it will create a vaccum? It was the side next to the driveshaft that I noticed was caving in a little. Might try to stick a air nozzle in the tank tomorrow to get it back to shape.

trying to fix those hoses while the tank is mounted is nothing short of a miracle. Although my wrist and fingers look all cut up. Better than my fuel tank imploding I guess.
I just checked the side of my tank, no deformation. If you had a vacuum in the tank, that would explain it. I'd be a little cautious about pumping a bunch of air into the tank though. Not sure if the tank seals or other fuel lines would like that. I'd say just give it a warm day with a full tank and it should straighten out.

I don't know what to think about the downhill hose theory either. I know I didn't do anything special when I installed mine. I'd suspect that little plastic vent at the end of the line first. Mine is easy to get to as it follows the route up onto the spout assembly. It would be a quick test to pull that out and blow in it a bit.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2011, 50, diesel, engine, f150, f250, ford, gallon, platinum, rc, tank, tanks, titan, ultima, white