6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I miss the the power

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 12:42 AM
fatcowvtx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I miss the the power

I miss the power of my edge programmer, 100 horses extra was nice. but after a $3400 bill for a new trany, I will never use the edge again. So everyone here says to use the sct tuner. are the sct safe for my tranny, and can you tow with it. all I pull is a work trailer, and a 23' boat. Why is the edge bad and the sct good on the tranny? I just don't understand what's going on with the two types. I can't put any more into this truck or my wife will make me live in it down by the river eating government cheese. Thanks for any help. oh 04 f250 6.0 56000 miles straight pipe, no lift,yet, stock tires, coolant filter, egr cooler blocked off. air ride bags in back.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:03 AM
SHAWN056.0
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cause the edge doesnt tune your tranny. Get a custom tune and it tunes the engine and tranny. You can get a tow tune also if ya want.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:11 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry about the expensive lesson.....
Too bad you didn't read here earlier, it's been noted for years about the 'concerns' of 'hp foolers' that don't tune your tranny....just do a forum search for Edge and see the reasons.....

but do understand perfectly what you mean about missing the power....

have had sct tunes on my 116k truck since 3k miles.... no issues except when I have to detune it and it runs like STOCK !

Old 11-06-2010, 07:32 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fatcowvtx
I miss the power of my edge programmer,
What exactly was the Edge Product that you used? They all pretty much have a problem, but depending on which one you got would determine just how bad of a problem you were dealing with.

For instance:

Juice/Juice Platinum: These are perhaps the worst offenders of all the performance enhancers for the 6.0. These are what are known as Modules. Easily recognized due to Shift on the Fly capabilities. Ironically that one hot selling feature of them is also their most damning feature of them as well(I equate that like I do a Hatchback, name a vehicle for it's ugliest feature). Shift on the fly is mutually exclusive with properly tuning your vehicle. I like to use a PC/MAC analogy for this. You know when you install some computer programs and it wants you to restart in order for all the changes to take affect? Same thing here, the truck's PCM/TCM need to be restarted after each upload in order for all the changes to take affect. With shift on the fly you worry about running a race tune, but your tranny is acting like it's towing etc. Not all the time, but that type of thing can happen.

Evolution: This is would I would call the lesser of two evil(but you are still choosing evil) in that it does upload and you do have to restart the vehicle. However, the tuning is one size fits all. It doesn't take into the different strategies(for which there are gobs of them for the 6.0) and different driving habits. That's why you'll get mixed results from other people that use products like this be it Edge or another company. They'll either like it, they'll hate it, or they'll like it but only on one or two settings, the others might give them problems.

Now with those mentioned above, they are easier to have tranny problems happen, however, you can still cause a tranny problem with the SCT tuning, it's just going to be more dependant on how you drove the truck with that new found power(that would also apply to the ones listed above as well, or hell even a stock vehicle). The biggest items that you don't have to worry about are: SCT does tune the tranny as well, it compensates for the strategy that your vehicle has and to the best ability of what the tuner can do over email also deal with your driving style as well.

It's the difference of buying clothes "off the rack" or getting them custom made.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:33 AM
teppler
Elder User
I hear all the talk about tuning for more power, just have to say that guess I am getting old cause my 6.0 has more than enough power to pull my 36' 5th wheel and except for the hesitation when trying to accelerate into traffic, which I have gotten use to, it has plenty of low end torque to give me a rush every now and then when I do an Italian tune. Would like to have the SCT for the brake tune but guess the cost will be prohibitive for a while. Just my .02 worth.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by teppler
except for the hesitation when trying to accelerate into traffic, which I have gotten use to, .
That was my main reason for getting a tune in the first place it went from lag to lighting them up lol
but once tuned these trucks are just more fun to drive IMHO and sometimes its nice to power past a potential problem than have to brake for it
not to mention passing everything on steep grades

Old 11-06-2010, 09:50 AM
fatcowvtx
Junior User
my was the evolution. I still have it plugged in, but just for the read outs. That is mainly why I got the evolution, read outs, scan tool, and I liked the way it looked on the truck. I still use it today to make sure all the temps are were they should be. I do wish I knew about this site two years ago. I have learned a lot here. I don't think I'll get a new tuner, I think I have a problem, my gas peddle is a toggle switch when I have to much power. But I will miss the power.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:21 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fatcowvtx
my was the evolution. I still have it plugged in, but just for the read outs. That is mainly why I got the evolution, read outs, scan tool, and I liked the way it looked on the truck. I still use it today to make sure all the temps are were they should be. I do wish I knew about this site two years ago. I have learned a lot here. I don't think I'll get a new tuner, I think I have a problem, my gas peddle is a toggle switch when I have to much power. But I will miss the power.

I can understand that.

There are some things that you can do to make that damn near a non-issue, but you'll be eating government cheese in this lifetime and in the next.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Juice/Juice Platinum: These are perhaps the worst offenders of all the performance enhancers for the 6.0. These are what are known as Modules. Easily recognized due to Shift on the Fly capabilities. PC/MAC analogy for this. You know when you install some computer programs and it wants you to restart in order for all the changes to take affect? Same thing here, the truck's PCM/TCM need to be restarted after each upload in order for all the changes to take affect. With shift on the fly you worry about running a race tune, but your tranny is acting like it's towing etc. Not all the time, but that type of thing will happen.
I don't see this happening ?
this particular device hi jacks the input and the output to and from the pcm and modifies ( it is plugged in between the pcm input output cables)
so shift on the fly really only changes the Edge module parameters and won't reset the PCM or put it into a relearn mode
IMHO
that being stated they are still known as transmission killers

I have one for sale by the way

Old 11-06-2010, 11:38 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Zmann
I don't see this happening ?
this particular device hi jacks the input and the output to and from the pcm and modifies ( it is plugged in between the pcm input output cables)
so shift on the fly really only changes the Edge module parameters and won't reset the PCM or put it into a relearn mode
IMHO
You are correct in one sense. They do hijack the signals, but they do modify how the computer re-acts.

The edge device sends a certain signal and with that certain signal, it "knows" that the truck's PCM is going to respond in a certain way, however, unfortunately what tends to happen is that some of the small things like shift firmness and shift points to quite translate as well when switching on the fly. Now if you were to go in and manually change them, that's something else. I've had more then a couple of people tell me that when they put on that high level, the shifting feels too smooth or soft to them, that's what you would expect to see on the lesser HP settings, not on a race tune, it would need to be hard, fast and crisp.

So while it doesn't chance the core PCM signals through proper programming, it fools them by sending wrong signals to the computer in order to get a desired response. Not the best way to achieve higher HP. It works, but not the best way.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:46 AM
cak301
Senior User
Nevermind!

Old 11-06-2010, 11:50 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cak301
Nevermind!
Just when I was about to respond.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
lol !

anyway
My input was that the edge in question is not reseting the pcm to relearn when you shift on the fly

while uploading a Tune from say a SCT would reset the computer but then again it can't be done on the fly