Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Senior User

akalogan is starting off with a positive reputation.
What is the biggest difference between Ford and Chevy?...

I was reading an article at pickuptruck.com and there is a new gm add and of course it is making fun of Ford. Well beside the obvious stuff what are some of the biggest difference between the 2 trucks? I am a Ford guy, but is the GM trucks sheet metal really that tinny? What are the real reason Ford's Frame so much heavier? That kind of thing, I am no engineer so I was hoping some of you super knowledgable types could break it down a little? Here is hoping for a good chat...

Gabe
Old 11-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Junior User

stangr8cr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford.......... NOT built with your tax dollars!!

Keith
Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM
New User

SouthwestEquipment is starting off with a positive reputation.
I thought a big difference was the independent front axel in Chevy sucked compared to the locked axel in Ford's. I know this is why most off-road (logging, bucket trucks, etc.) and hauling trucks are Ford.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Senior User

Evan92 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestEquipment View Post
I thought a big difference was the independent front axel in Chevy sucked compared to the locked axel in Ford's. I know this is why most off-road (logging, bucket trucks, etc.) and hauling trucks are Ford.
All new half tons have independent front suspension. For 3/4+ ton you are right.

I know that the new Chevy interiors blow. They look and feel cheap and their cloth seats attract A LOT of lint.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Posting Guru

Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.
Ford has always put a little stouter powertrain, frame, and suspension under their trucks than GM or Dodge. And from what I can see, still does.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Freshman User

schaibaa is starting off with a positive reputation.
I traded in an 07 envoy for my 2010 platinum. I was wrenching on my envoy almost ever weekend. I know everyone has a sob story, but it seems like every GM needs a fuel pump every few years, and that alone is too much IMO.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Freshman User

kwissman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chevy has funky body lines and goofy looking flares around the fender wells. I had Chevy trucks for over 20 years and there was no way I would buy one of those fugly ducks.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Elder User

efx4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ford trucks have a more solid body with more sound deadening, along with a welded on radiator support, and not a bolt on support like GM. Ford's frames are boxed and partially hydroformed high strength steel, and are lighter and stronger than the 04-08 F 150 frames ( which are already strong). Interior materials are generally of a higher quality as well. GM trucks aren't too bad, but it's nowhere near as good of a truck as Ford, IMO.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Elder User

efx4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Now Ford will have some competitively powerful engines to cover all the bases soon.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Freshman User

davelim is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought my Ford truck after test driving Toyota Tundra. The Toyota had much more power, however, everything else was crap. The frame felt like it was made of aluminum cans, the handling was floppy, steering was too loose. I did not feel right in that thing. It did seem to have a nice nav. system. I drove the Ford and the truck just felt right. The frame was stiff, the steering firm, the dash looked clean... it just felt right. I did not waste anytime driving a Chevy or Dodge. I don't like Chevrolet - the logo, the look, the name even - French name? If I am buying an American truck, I'd like to buy an American truck with an American name. Dodge? I'm sure they're good trucks but I prefer my Ford.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Senior User

Mudd460 is starting off with a positive reputation.
First on Race Day! Drive around construction sites, farms .... you will see more Ford Trucks of all different vintages spread throughout, they just keep on going. All others are just cars that look like trucks. Chevy guys even take old Ford trucks and put thier motors in them because thier trucks are no good and they are too stuborn to adimit it!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Senior User

Going_Going_Gone is starting off with a positive reputation.
Watch the "truth about trucks" videos. You can see the differences (from the perspective of a Ford engineer).
YouTube - Truth About Trucks With Mike Rowe
Old 11-06-2010, 07:51 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
All through the years, Ford has always had some very handsome, conservative yet rugged styling and I like that.

Ford has always offered very solid power plants. May not be fastest off the line empty or loaded but their life expectancy is awesome, properly maintained that is.

Ford offers more options and trim levels than most passenger cars let alone trucks. Ford offers a truck for EVERY person in the market for a truck.

One thing I really like is that the Expedition isn't a re-badged F-150. Yes, their internals are much the same but the sheet metal is different.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 11-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Elder User

awq134 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.awq134 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Going_Gone View Post
Watch the "truth about trucks" videos. You can see the differences (from the perspective of a Ford engineer).
YouTube - Truth About Trucks With Mike Rowe
enough said in my opinion
Old 11-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Junior User

mongoo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Theres no diffrence at all.American cars are americans cars.I prefer the f-150 cause its great looking and since 2009 the quality improved.But lets be real its not a German car so after 70000 miles or so i figure im gonna need to drop about 3000.00 on it for whatever comes my way, which is fine.Im never selling this truck,ill drive it till the axle drops.Your gonna get posts saying im wrong and they will give you many reasons why,but american cars are american cars,however,things are getting better with ford leading the way.never enjoyed a car like my f150 truck,not even the benz i got rid of.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:21 PM