Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2010, 04:27 AM
Junior User

'88 E-350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is running WMO a "green" thing to do?

I've had a few discussions with people about my WMO where they get somewhat angry about the pollution I'm supposedly causing, even tho I've yet had one that actually knows if my exhaust is any dirtier because of it.
My belief is that even if my tailpipe emits a little more junk I'm actually being 'greener'. #1-Burning my WMO eliminates the collection, transport, and disposal of it. #2-Every gallon I use is one less gallon pumped, refined, and transported to the gas station for my purchase. I can't say that I was motivated to run WMO for environmental purposes, but it adds to the list of positives for me. I talked to my local smog tech about doing a #2 vs. WMO test for me and hope to do that sometime soon and report back.

Since I don't have any tailpipe tests yet and I know I'm partial to my own decision, I'm just curious to opinions. Assuming it is a bit dirtier, is it still greener???
Old 11-06-2010, 04:01 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
In a word, No.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 11-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Post Fiend

CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
My first thought was "Who cares", but you obviously do. In my opinion, you do what you want to do with your truck, regardless whether it's "green" or not. I know there are some potential issues from running anything other than #2, or a commercial grade bio-diesel. I hope you have done your research on the subject. I have read where some folks have jumped in without doing things properly, and have fudged up their engines.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Junior User

I did LOTS of research before dumping in the oil, in fact long before even buying the van. This is what I learned from countless hours at the keyboard; nobody knows. I see some reports that it just won't work, it'll only work if it's hot, it'll trash the motor, it'll run fine for a little while, it'll run fine forever, it makes more power, it makes less power.....a never ending supply of opposing opinions. I've run everything from #2 all the way to gear oil mixes in 50-110 degree weather, so far I have nothing concrete to show the difference other than cost to fill. There's a possibility of harder starts and maybe a little more smoke on pure heavy oil. I say possibility because I haven't done enough back to backs to say for sure. I will say I was surprised to see it run on a cold morning on stuff so thick that I got tired of holding the gas can up to the filler. I have few miles on the oil so I'm NOT saying it's safe for the long run.

My real question is whether the total pollution impact is any worse. I've seen many opinions saying tailpipe emissions are worse with oil, but none quantified by an emissions test so I guess that'll be on me to find out. Will it make me stop? Maybe if the tailpipe emissions are really bad. I hope to make time to run a test tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Post Fiend

CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
I assume that you are mixing some #2 with the oil aren't you? Or are you running it straight? I would guess that if you are filtering out all the metals, and other fine particles that could damage the injectors or cylinders, it should run OK. If it is real thick I could see that causing problems in the fuel delivery system.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Junior User

I started out with about 20% oil and kept moving up, now at 100% minus whatever #2 mixes in when I switch tanks. I filter through a 1 micron absolute bag filter. I'm currently setting up (or trying to) a centrifuge. I've been shutting down on #2 just to give things a chance to clean up a little between oil runs. I have no idea if that'll make a difference, but it makes me feel a little safer. I don't warm up on #2 anymore, I switch it as soon as it starts.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Junior User

See thread "WMO emissions test results"!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Elder User

ken1mod is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think you are doing good for all of us.

Ken
Old 01-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Junior User

Thank you for the feedback and compliments. I have found that cold starting on high viscosity stuff is really hard. I'd done it previously once and it started pretty well, may have just been lucky. My batteries are getting really weak so that's playing into it as well. I haven't been driving it much lately because the water pump bearings had a bit too much play for my comfort, but the new pump should be in tomorrow so I can start logging some miles again but I'll need new batts. really soon; damn, always something.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Elder User

armstrongfordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I live in Pa, my truck will start down to 35* on new batteries on 80% WMO. I now run 25% WMO 75% diesel until the weather warms up.

ARMSTRONGFORDTRUCKS
2013 F-150, XLT, ECO, 4X4 CC
Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
60diesel, cleaning, diesel, engine, ford, green, harder, runnig, running, rus, start, superduty, tank, thing, truck, wmo