1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Gremlins in the wipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-1999, 09:25 AM
gkainz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gremlins in the wipers

Has anyone experienced gremlins in the wipers on their Expedition? My '99 XLT/5.4L started experiencing wipers coming on for 1 or 2 swipes and then shutting off on bumps. Ford changed the multifunction switch; now the wipers and washer comes on occasionally when starting the engine (maybe once every 3 or 4 starts) and the only way to cancel the wipers and washers is to shut off the engine and restart! They replaced the wiper motor with no change. Ford says redesiged multi-function switch is coming soon....what a pain! I wired a fused 30 amp switch in place of the standard fuse so I can cancel the wipers without shutting down the engine.
Greg

Old 07-28-1999, 01:00 PM
Craig
Senior User
Gremlins in the wipers

Yes, I have also experienced times when the wipers come on all by themselves ans swipe a few times and then quit again. The dealer doesn't believe me.

Old 07-28-1999, 03:00 PM
Craig
Senior User
Gremlins in the wipers

I found out through another dealer Explorers have been reporting this failry often and they have either the same or close GEM module. Here is a copy of the service bulletin.

Service Bulletin Number: 5705
Bulletin Sequence Number: 520
Date of Bulletin: 9903
NHTSA Item Number: SB605194
Make: FORD TRUCK
Model: EXPLORER
Year: 1999
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT
Summary: VEHICLE EXHIBITING MULTIPLE GENERIC ELECTRONIC MODULE (GEM) RELATED SYMPTOMS. *TT

Old 08-04-1999, 06:21 PM
vicky
Gremlins in the wipers

my 99 expedition also has gremlins.
i have to take it in to see if they can fix it.

Old 08-09-1999, 09:55 AM
Greg
Freshman User
Gremlins in the wipers

I've talked with the Service Manager, as well as Ford Customer Service. This is a known problem, and the fix is a re-designed General Electronics Module, which is not yet available for installation. I've wired a fused switch in place of the wiper circuit in the fuse box, so I can at least turn the wipers off without shutting the engine off. If you do this, make sure you use a 30 amp rated switch, and a 30 amp inline fuse.
Good luck.
Greg

Old 11-10-1999, 03:39 PM
J Prosnik
Gremlins in the wipers

I own a 99 XLT 5.4 and have had the same problems with uncontrolable wipers. But It only happend while the truck is running. I also have rented Expidetion's on trips and had the same problem . Hope the Excursions get all their bugs out . Any one out there who has installed an after market exhaust on their XLT 5.4 please e-mail me with info horsepower ect.
Thanks j

Old 01-07-2000, 09:13 AM
gkainz
Freshman User
Gremlins in the wipers

>Has anyone experienced gremlins in the wipers
>on their Expedition? My '99
>XLT/5.4L started experiencing wipers coming on
>for 1 or 2 swipes and
>then shutting off on bumps.
>Ford changed the multifunction switch; now
>the wipers and washer comes on
>occasionally when starting the engine (maybe
>once every 3 or 4 starts)
>and the only way to cancel
>the wipers and washers is to
>shut off the engine and restart!
> They replaced the wiper motor
>with no change. Ford says
>redesiged multi-function switch is coming soon....what
>a pain! I wired a
>fused 30 amp switch in place
>of the standard fuse so I
>can cancel the wipers without shutting
>down the engine. Greg

Ford finally released a re-designed multifunction switch to fix this problem. I've got the new switch and (so far) no more gremlins!
Greg

Old 02-09-2000, 03:11 PM
Rmcmorris
Freshman User
Gremlins in the wipers

See my thread "Possessed Wipers" in the 80-96 Trucks and Vans section.

Old 03-20-2000, 04:50 PM
cheryl
New User
Gremlins in the wipers

i have replaced the multifunction switch several times due to this. There was a recall. At least there was for my 97' Expedition

Old 06-09-2000, 03:54 PM
scassero
New User
Gremlins in the wipers

One more oh-by-the-way; since my wipers were coming on on a dry windshield it scratched the coating on the glass. I had my dealer replace the windshield at no-cost to me since it was a direct result of the problem with the GEM and wipers. After FINALLY getting the GEM they were happy to get my Expy out of the shop!

gucci

Old 06-16-2000, 05:56 PM
mauzer1
Senior User
Gremlins in the wipers

I am a tech at a ford dealer the is a recall for this concern recall 00b04 will fix it it is not the gem module

Old 12-07-2000, 04:08 PM
oz9609
Senior User
Gremlins in the wipers

MOISTURE WHERE THE HARNESS CONNECTS TO THE FUSE BLOCK CAN CAUSE THIS PROBLEM. TRY TO DISCONNECT THE HARNESS AND THOROUGHLY DRY BOTH THE HARNESS AND FUSE BLOCK. THIS MAY FIX THE PROBLEM. G.M. HAD A SIMILAR SITUATION A FEW YEARS BACK AND THIS ALSO FIXED THE TROUBLE.

Old 12-08-2000, 10:57 AM
rick995
Junior User
Gremlins in the wipers

i have two problems...rear wiper will go down into the cradle all by itself when supposed to be running...dealer can't find problem.................second is that i have 4 or 5 arcs on the front window that the wipers only clean when they are new.. once wipers are worn a little they leave these arcs about an 1" wide of unwiped windshield.....almost as if there is something on glass or something worn off in those spots.any clues

Old 12-21-2000, 09:31 AM
gkainz
Freshman User
Gremlins in the wipers

I'm beginning to believe the wiper blades on ALL the newer vehicles are total junk. My '97 Expy blades were crap - after a month or so they wouldn't clean the whole windshield - left streaks somewhere along their length, like a 2" streak in the middle, etc. In the winter they seem to collect ice and then won't flex (as I read what I just wrote now I wonder if it's the wiper heads, not the blades?)... Anyway, my 99 Expy wipers behave the same way so I guess I'll spring for new wiper heads and see if we get any improvement. My wife's 99 DUHrango wipers perform just as poorly.

Old 12-27-2000, 01:53 PM
sullivanmar
New User
Gremlins in the wipers

On a related topic, is there any way to change the behavior of the wipers when using the washer. I just love it when I push the washer button and the wipers scrape across the salt/sand covered windshield a few times before the water starts spraying!

I asked my Ford dealer and he didn't know.

Mark

Quick Reply: Gremlins in the wipers