Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2010, 02:42 PM
New User

PADLER is starting off with a positive reputation.
CLEANING INTAKE MANIFOLD

long story short, i am in the process of doing an oil cooler and a egr delete. (fun job on its own) I have the intake manifold off and it is filled with black junky tar. Just a complete mess. I am waiting for the new parts to get here and am wondering what the best way to clean this is. I was thinks of just letting it sit in some simple green for a few days until the parts came in and then pressure washing it all out. Will giving it a good soak hurt anything or am i better off spraying it down quick scrub and repeating until it's clean.

Also gonna clean the turbo while it's off so any tips on that would be of great help but i am looking for answers to that currently.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Elder User

hubler13f has a good reputation on FTE.hubler13f has a good reputation on FTE.
I soaked mine for a couple days in simple green and castrols super clean (wicked stuff) and all of the crap still didn't come out.
If you have a place around you that will hot tank it, take it there and it will remove everything.
2005 F250 6.0 PSD 4X4, leveling kit, homemade remote oil cooler, 295/70/R17's on Eagle Wheels, ARP studs, POWERMAX TURBO, EGR cooler deleted, GDS Spring, Banjo Bolt Mod, solid 1 piece Y and up pipe, Diamond Eye 4" SS Turbo Back straight pipe, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Riff Raff boots, 58 volt HOT FICM mod, Innovative Mild FICM Tune, Zoodad mod, Harpooned tank, Lubed with Rotella T6, Edge Insight, SCT SF3 w/Matt's custom tunes
Old 11-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Posting Guru

High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.
I tried it and gave up quickly, there really isn't any benefit anyway.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Posting Guru

smokersteve has a good reputation on FTE.smokersteve has a good reputation on FTE.smokersteve has a good reputation on FTE.
Wallmart has "Purple Power" that works really well, its a concentrated degreaser.
06 F-350 6.0L 105,000miles ARP Oil & Coolant Bypass Filters + EC-1 SCT IDP Delete Pipes Edge Insight STC & Fuel Reg Update Pluged Up-pipe No ScoopFront 2" Hitch 2.5" Front Lift Firestone Air Bags Front E-Locker Rear ARB Locker

2011 F-150 5.0L 18,000miles
0W-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Elder User

rocky1074 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rocky1074 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADLER View Post

Also gonna clean the turbo while it's off so any tips on that would be of great help but i am looking for answers to that currently.

This site will help you with your turbo:
Diesel Technician Society

Also this is the kit I purchased for recondition the turbo. 4C4Z-9V424-AA

It come with everything you will need. I ordered from Ed the Parts Guy

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214072
2007 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide

Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Freshman User

idgara73612 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1074 View Post
Also this is the kit I purchased for recondition the turbo. 4C4Z-9V424-AA

It come with everything you will need.
rocky, what's included in that kit? Is it specialty pieces you can only get thru this kit, or is it just different sanding pads and such that you could get on your own, and maybe save some money?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Senior User

jasontrucks76 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I spent 5 or 6 bucks at the quarter wash with hot soapy water and degreaser and got it pretty clean. I would bet soaking it in some degreaser first would have been a benifit.
New oil cooler
Updated STC fitting
4" 409 SS turbo back exhaust, EGT & Fuel gauges
Old 12-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Posting Guru

wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.
I just finished oil cooler egr cooler welded, and i tried cleaning mine. I have parts cleaning tank with the flamble stuff in it, crap cleans anything i have put in there. And manifold fit, so i let sit for three days , pulled it out little bit gone but not much. I also use purple power from wally world, repeated spraying and hose downs did a better job. If you could let it sit in purple power i think it would clean it , say a few days
2003, 250 XLT cc 4x4 sb 6.0 mods,scan gauge2, coolant filter, the blue spring,and hypertect max energy on stage 1 only,high idle mod,stock down pipe 4inch straight pipe ,no kitty ,welded egr cooler, new oil cooler and that bad **** 03 turbo whistle free mod DAVID
Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 AM
New User

ncdawg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Clean Intake

I also wanted to clean my intake when I did my oil cooler/egr delete. I was told by a couple of people on the forum to hot tank my intake and some said not to. I talked to my local ford diesel engine mechanic, and he warned against hot tanking for a couple of reasons. First, some use places use too harsh chemicals that can pit the intake, and they don't get it very clean for the cost. Secondly, it will just re-goo up again in short time and again you don't get your monies worth. I just took some carb cleaner and long nylon brush and cleaned it the best I could. Make sure you wear old clothes because you are going to get covered in some nasty black stuff. On the other hand, if you really do want to hot tank it, I would look over the shops procedures and ask the person doing it a lot of questions. Intakes are not cheap.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Posting Guru

High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdawg View Post
I also wanted to clean my intake when I did my oil cooler/egr delete. I was told by a couple of people on the forum to hot tank my intake and some said not to. I talked to my local ford diesel engine mechanic, and he warned against hot tanking for a couple of reasons. First, some use places use too harsh chemicals that can pit the intake, and they don't get it very clean for the cost. Secondly, it will just re-goo up again in short time and again you don't get your monies worth. I just took some carb cleaner and long nylon brush and cleaned it the best I could. Make sure you wear old clothes because you are going to get covered in some nasty black stuff. On the other hand, if you really do want to hot tank it, I would look over the shops procedures and ask the person doing it a lot of questions. Intakes are not cheap.

It would only 're-goo' if you kept your EGR system running but since you deleted it...

2004 F350 6.0. Lariat FX4. Other assorted cars/bikes.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Posting Guru

06silvercrew has a very good reputation on FTE.06silvercrew has a very good reputation on FTE.06silvercrew has a very good reputation on FTE.
Have it hot tanked, it will be FINE. Most any local machine shop should be able to do it. With the EGR deleted, it should not re-goo as much.

SOLD 2-28-11.....
'06 F250 CC/SB PSD. 2'' lift, Bilstein 5100's, Dual stabilizers, 20'' Harley wheels, 35-12.50 MT ATZ's, 08 Mirrors, ARP studs, EGR delete, 4'' MBRP, X3 with custom tunes, Full gauges, scangauge II, Coolant filter, Red top Optimas, DC 185a alt,
Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Senior User

TheBestKindOfEX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TheBestKindOfEX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
marvin corty
dip dip dip

I recently did ARP studs and took my intake with me to the machine shop when I had the heads checked. My intake was HORRIBLE to say the least. The shop hot dipped it for $25 and it was like new! Dover Heads in ATL is the shiz....
2004 Excursion Limited 6.0l diesel 4WD, High Idle Mod for 6.0L Excursions, 20" Gio rims, nitto Terra Grappler 275/65-20, Black Onyx head gaskets, ARP studs, Sinister EGR delete, Scangauge II/Xgauge, Glowshift Tri-pod(EGT, Fuel Press, Oil Press), Prodigy P2 controller, hitch cam, rear TT cam
Old 12-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Senior User

Ford_Doctor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Technically the only real need to have your intake manifold cleaned is for excessive build up around the EGR valve mixer and clogging of the port that goes from the cooler to the EGR valve inside the manifold.

If you are simply replacing the valve and servicing the manifold, scraping vacuuming of the large chunks of carbon followed by some scrubbing with an appropriate nylon brush and a chemical cleaner is all that is needed. As stated, the manifold is going to soot up again if the EGR valve is still in use therefore cleaning it to the point of being spotless is pointless.

Having the manifold hot-tanked is necessary when the EGR port is loaded with crust which is typically a combination of carbon and coolant that eventually breaks off and gets stuck in the EGR valve, hanging it open. This type of build up usually only happens with an EGR cooler failure that has allowed coolant to slowly leak into the cooler. Many technicians will have the manifold tanked when EGR coolers fail. In the past I have seen too many trucks get towed back in because even thought he coolers had been replaced and the technician (myself included) did a great job with the repair, the chunks will continue to break off and get caught in the valve unless they are completely removed.

I have never heard of any ill-effects of hot tanking. Blasting it with degreasers and chemicals and washing it out with a water hose usually brings poor results and unless you are hosing or pressure washing where the run off is drained into a waste collection tank of some sort you will be polluting and making a big mess where you are working. It can get downright ugly in fact. Don't ask How I know...

If you are in the EGR delete gang, having the manifold cleaned will only serve to make you feel good about it but if the EGR is removed from the equation the manifold will remain clean so in that sense it is worth doing.

Keith
Ford Diesel Master Technician
Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor
Old 12-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
58, 60, benefits, clean, cleaning, cost, estimated, ficm, intake, manifold, mod, powerstroke, removing, turbo, volt