horn honks randomly when not running?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:42 AM
n2baja
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horn honks randomly when not running?

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2001 F350 and over the past few nights the horn has started honking once randomly. It always only honks once but will do it several times a night (may be more that I don't hear). I'm thinking that this has something to do with the alarm maybe?

I can't afford to take it to the shop at the moment (nor any moments in the foreseeable future, come to think of it) and am hoping that its something that I can fix myself?

I'm having other miscellaneous electrical type issues, but don't know it there are related at all. For example, the power locks don't work (they try to, but don't seem to have enough power), the overhead console that digitally displays the outside temp/mpg/etc. stopped working suddenly and the lighter/power plug outlet stopped working, but I was able to fix this by replacing the fuse.

If there is any additional information I can provide, please let me know and I'll do my best. I'm on my own now and have to deal with this stuff by myself.

Thank you all so much for any suggestions you can give me.

Melanie

Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Does your truck have an aftermarket alarm or is it a factory one? If it is aftermarket, you can disconnect it and see if it still does it, otherwise I would think it could be related to an issue in the steering wheel, or you have ghosts!

The power locks not working is not unusual, they get worn out and the motors are weak, They are about $40 each to replace them.

The Overhead computer quitting is really common and can be fixed pretty easily with a little soldering. There is a good thread HERE on fixing it.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Take a look under your steering wheel, theres a panel with plastic clips on all four corners, remove that panel and see if theres any alarm equipment, boxes, box with a dial to set sensativity, let us know. Also, does somebody else in your life or out now have your other key-remote?? Maybe messin with yaa!!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Dodge with no alarm, and it would randomly go off and when it went off it STAYED on! It got so bad I had to pull the fuse.

My step dad has a Ranger and the lights will flash on their own, and turn the interior lights on on its own. I think his is related to the remote starter somehow because its tapped into the alarm and such itself.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
My horn starting honking when the truck was parked, key out. It would just lay on the horn. I ended up pulling the horn relay but it also disabled the Cruise Control. I miss my CC... I'd love to know what to fix.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
sledheadm7
Senior User
maby someone is sneeking in to your truck and honking it.lol

Old 11-04-2010, 07:07 PM
n2baja
Elder User
Originally Posted by woodnthings
Does your truck have an aftermarket alarm or is it a factory one? If it is aftermarket, you can disconnect it and see if it still does it, otherwise I would think it could be related to an issue in the steering wheel, or you have ghosts!

The power locks not working is not unusual, they get worn out and the motors are weak, They are about $40 each to replace them.

The Overhead computer quitting is really common and can be fixed pretty easily with a little soldering. There is a good thread HERE on fixing it.
The alarm is the one from the factory and its funny since it doesn't work anyway. It will honk when I press the button on the fob, but the alarm doesn't sound if you open a door.
Thank you for the link on the overhead computer! I may need to live with the power doorlock issues for now.
Ghosts!!! I don't mind a ghost as long as he's a mechanic

Originally Posted by big poppa
Take a look under your steering wheel, theres a panel with plastic clips on all four corners, remove that panel and see if theres any alarm equipment, boxes, box with a dial to set sensativity, let us know. Also, does somebody else in your life or out now have your other key-remote?? Maybe messin with yaa!!
I looked under the panel and didn't see anything that had a sensitivity dial. Also, I have the only key-remote that I know of. Good thought though on someone messing with me. Nothing surprises me much anymore! Lol

Originally Posted by Diesel 724
I had a Dodge with no alarm, and it would randomly go off and when it went off it STAYED on! It got so bad I had to pull the fuse.

My step dad has a Ranger and the lights will flash on their own, and turn the interior lights on on its own. I think his is related to the remote starter somehow because its tapped into the alarm and such itself.
Now that would be really freaky!! I've been lucky so far and it only honks once. I hope it doesn't stay on, cause I have no idea how to turn it off unless the keyfob stops it.

Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
My horn starting honking when the truck was parked, key out. It would just lay on the horn. I ended up pulling the horn relay but it also disabled the Cruise Control. I miss my CC... I'd love to know what to fix.
Funny that you mention the cruise control. I used it for the first time this past weekend on a trip up to Santa Cruz.

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions on this. This all started to happen right after I had a blow out on the freeway. I did a post on that here, but don't know how to provide a link to it.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:10 PM
n2baja
Elder User
Originally Posted by sledheadm7
maby someone is sneeking in to your truck and honking it.lol

Like I said, it wouldn't surprise me lol

Old 11-05-2010, 11:58 AM
lapine09
New User
It could be worse, mine sets the alarm off for two minutes forty five seconds usually in the middle of the night. If I get up I have to run out and turn the ignition key to stop it.. lol

Old 05-06-2015, 03:56 PM
home13run
New User
same issue

Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
Did you get the problem figured out. My truck just started doing the same thing

Old 05-06-2015, 04:39 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by home13run
Did you get the problem figured out. My truck just started doing the same thing
Haha, no. I'm still waiting for the OP to report back with the fix!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:39 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like a leaking windshield and a wet GEM module to me