1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Hi! and first question...

Old 10-31-2010, 04:01 PM
cjray03
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi! and first question...

Hi. I'm new here and have gotten good info from some of the posts so far...thank you. Now for my own question... I recently bought a 1966 F250 with the 352. This thing is a beauty! I am almost positive that it has 107,00 original miles and that the entire truck is original. I am wanting to add power steering to this beauty, but I need to know out of which trucks or vehicles I can scavenge the parts to do so. I am not a novice at auto work, it's just been a few years since I have turned wrenches, but I have found that I enjoy it again...thanks for any info you can provide. Here is a link to some photos of it.

f250 driverside | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 10-31-2010, 05:32 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
250 donor start a little earlier but 73-76 would be a great year search to get your steering along with power disc brakes, which I would recommend you swap in at the same time.

You will need to swap the steering column from the donor so finding one with the tranny that you have or want to change to is a must.

John

Old 10-31-2010, 06:24 PM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi cjray,
Welcome to FTE.Truck looks really good...I think that bench seat, if original, has never seen a sunny day...musta been covered all the while. Personally, I'm not a big fan of power steering on these old trucks...I never seem to need it...but if you search through some of the old posts, you'll find a lot of good info on doing such swaps...every time I go on here there is a post about it. How do the rain gutters and cab mounts look?...any rust?

Old 10-31-2010, 08:16 PM
cjray03
Freshman User
Yeah everything above the floor line on it is in very good shape, the cab mounts are a completely different story. There's also rust inside the passenger fender well through to the side wall of the passenger floor. Other than the underside though the only real damage to the body is the hood.

As far as the power steering...my other truck is a '97 F150 and drives like a car, so the jump to this truck is not as smooth as can be, but it isn't "hard" to drive, just no where near as easy.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:26 PM
cjray03
Freshman User
Ok...another question. The brakes...they work pretty well now, there is no booster obviously so would a booster just bolt on, and what kind of serious re-working would that conversion require? There is a serious lacking of vacuum lines under the hood due to the manual so is there a good connection available for a booster or do I need a new manifold or something?

Old 11-01-2010, 05:53 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not being a smartass when I say this...the search function on this site works better than most I've encountered. The answers to your questions are on here multiple times. Have a look around and you'll be amazed what's here.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 AM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
TOns of info...

Originally Posted by ddavidv
I'm not being a smartass when I say this...the search function on this site works better than most I've encountered. The answers to your questions are on here multiple times. Have a look around and you'll be amazed what's here.
Yup, he pretty much nailed it. This sites search engine is pretty amazing. If you can, hunt for the answers a bit, I don't think there is a topic yet that hasn't been touched on in some way or another...well...almost.Often times, there will be a very in depth procedure posted on how to do a particular repair.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:51 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
What's wrong with direct replys in the thread??

John

Old 11-01-2010, 12:05 PM
SixtySix Ford
Senior User
while I agree searching is best in 'most' cases, I think its also best start a thread about your own questions as you may not find what your looking for with searching other threads.....And if the person(s) searching other threads doesnt fully understand what to do or what is best, I think its best to start your own thread asking for more info.....

BTW Welcome to FTE!

Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most do not want to use a search feature as a direct question answered is a more personal feel than just reading about it.

At this point we can shut down FTE as all the questions on nut and bolts can be searched in the archives. We have become obsolete.........

Garbz.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 PM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Welcome to FTE.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:39 AM
cjray03
Freshman User
Yeah, I appreciate the responses...I wasn't trying to be annoying. I was simply trying to get the best answers for my particular questions. I have read and learned many useful things from the posters here so I joined and as I have limited knowledge on the things I am asking about I chose to be a supporter of the site to do my part. Again, I do appreciate the information and I guess I'll simply use the search engine as to make "I'm not being a smartass when I say this..." not have to happen...

Old 11-02-2010, 02:16 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The right 73-76 parts truck ya get for power steering will have all ya need for power brakes. Look for one with an FE like yours. And remember some of the guys here drink to much coffee I think. But they know there stuff for sure. They get tired of answering the same things. So ask away anyway and you will get your answers. And prolly a little chastising but it comes with the territory. Sorry.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:04 AM
RC-Doktor
New User
Hello, and welcome to the fans of 66iger F-250 ...

I miss the power steering not at all, and would also not be retrofitted.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:05 AM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
So CJ, what do you know about the previous history of your truck? Looks from the tow ball on the front bumper that it belonged to a fisherman maybe...was the prev owner the original? I've also got a 66 250, and have my eye on another one nearby...thought it would be a great resto project to do with my son. It's hard to find those unmolested trucks like yours...where it's all there, and you don't have to go correcting a bunch of hap-hazard repairs. Looks like you have a fun winter ahead of you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hi! and first question...