Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Freshman User

ThatFordGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.
2000 Expedition bypassing the auto-4x4 to make it 2x4?

We have a 2000 ford expedition eddie bauer. Its 4x4 selectors have 4x4auto, 4x4hi, and 4x4low. The hull sensors keep acting up kicking it in and out of 4x4 even were just driving on pavement. We want to bypass those hull sensors or something so we can just strictly have it in 2x4 like regular package trucks like my uncles. Anybody know what im talking about or have any suggestions?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Posting Guru

pdqford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pdqford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hull sensors?
What is a hull sensor?
Where is it?
And what do it do?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Remove the 30 amp fuse #104 from the under hood fuse box. It's okay to leave it out, you just won't have 4WD even if you turn the selector switch, unless of course you first put the fuse back in. Some have gone so far as to setup a switch on the dash to flip from inside the cabin.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:24 AM
Senior User

orleec is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
Remove the 30 amp fuse #104 from the under hood fuse box. It's okay to leave it out, you just won't have 4WD even if you turn the selector switch, unless of course you first put the fuse back in. Some have gone so far as to setup a switch on the dash to flip from inside the cabin.
For mpg improvement I suppose? What's the consensus on this, worth defeating the A4WD for a little mpg improvement, if any?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Temporarily Deactivated

Big Greenie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Instead of disabling the system, why not fix it?

BTW, it is not an Eddie Bauer option, all of the '99-01 Expy's used the A4wd as the default setting.

There is no mpg improvement to be had. Without major hardware changes pulling the fuse simply disables the 4wd engagement.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Greenie View Post
Instead of disabling the system, why not fix it?
Because maybe for either time or financial reasons he is not able to fix it for the moment. Pulling the fuse will allow the truck to be driven until it can be fixed. My guess is that he's just going to need a set of 4 matched tires to solve the problem anyway...that or a wheel sensor.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Temporarily Deactivated

Big Greenie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Because maybe for either time or financial reasons he is not able to fix it for the moment. Pulling the fuse will allow the truck to be driven until it can be fixed. My guess is that he's just going to need a set of 4 matched tires to solve the problem anyway...that or a wheel sensor.
Well I sure am glad you can read minds

I was just asking the question.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Greenie View Post
Well I sure am glad you can read minds
I can't, it's just that he asked how to disable it, not how to fix it. I figured he has his reasons and it wasn't my place to question his motives...unlike some.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Posting Guru

madsonp has a good reputation on FTE.madsonp has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Yep, I agree, if he has mismatched tires, that's probably the cause of his problem.
42 Ford 9N Tractor (old pig)

Old 02-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Freshman User

ThatFordGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.
we have all four of the same tires on it. turns out that the front and rear tires are supposed to have different tire pressures (door jam says so) supposed to run one set with 5lbs less pressure than the other. We adjusted that and now it does just fine. no more jumping in and out of 4x4.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Posting Guru

madsonp has a good reputation on FTE.madsonp has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFordGuy View Post
we have all four of the same tires on it. turns out that the front and rear tires are supposed to have different tire pressures (door jam says so) supposed to run one set with 5lbs less pressure than the other. We adjusted that and now it does just fine. no more jumping in and out of 4x4.
I've always run all my tires at the same pressure and I've never had any problems.
42 Ford 9N Tractor (old pig)

Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Senior User

Junebug_ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fix it! :-)
2000 Expedition XLT 4x4 5.4L (~400 ft/lbs torque), 155K miles, Heavy Duty Tow pkg, 3.55(H9) Limited Slip gears, K&N air filter, Summit Shorty headers, Diablo Sport engine tune, (93 Oct only gas now), Class IV receiver. Prodigy brake controller. Equal-i-zer weight distributing hitch, Bilsteins, rear springs from Coil Spring Specialties, they add 750lbs of capacity, Michelin 255-70-16 LTX-MS. Towing a 2008 RSDS Outback TT--7000 lb loaded
Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2000, 2003, 2007, 2x4, 4x4, a4wd, auto, bypass, computer, disable, expedition, explorer, ford, hull, sensor, switch