6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

getting back mileage on winter blend???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:20 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting back mileage on winter blend???

I have a buddy in my neighborhood that works for a refinery and I asked him if they made the switch to winter blend yet and he said yes. I always loose a fair bet of mileage when the switch is made to winter blend fuel. I think its probably always been about 10% down on mileage with the various diesel trucks I have owned. is there any additive that could add some cetane or whatever so that my mileage would come back?? then I could see if I could save some money by running the additive or not.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:58 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The winter blend fuels are designed primarily to allow the ULSD to flow at low temps and are locally formulated based on local climatic changes. Understand that summer blend fuels (#2 diesel) have a higher btu content due to (among other things) their higher paraffin content. The higher energy content allows you to use less fuel to go any given distance. The problem is, the summer blend fuels cloud at relatively high ambient temperatures and form wax crystals which plug fuel filters.

The refineries blend in #1 diesel (which has almost no paraffin) and has a very low cloud point (-40F). The lighter fuel has a lower energy content and therefore gives lower mpgs. This is the price we pay as diesel drivers. If we want our fuels to flow in the winter, we have to use a winter blend fuel. It's not about the EPA or environment, it's about using a heavy fuel that is prone to thickening up in the winter. Gasoline, of course, does not have that problem.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:08 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
I know that, but is there an additive to get me back the mileage but cheap enough to make it worth it.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:24 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
I don't know of any or how that can fundamentally be. Since the heavier fuels flow poorly in low temps, you have to thin them out in the winter. If you add something to bring the energy content back up, then it will flow poorly again. Don't think you can have it both ways.

We need a refinery chemist to chime in here.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
As Epic explained, Winter Blend dosen't have as high of BTU as summer straight #2. We are taking BTU's NOT Cetane. Most additives increase the Cetane rating , they increase the lubricity, they increase or help the detergents. But I don't know of any that increase the BTU's.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:38 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I like the Motorcraft cetane booster. It's not very expensive and it works well. I just got a case of it after my experience with B20. I can't promise that you will get your MPG back but it is a good product and does help.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:59 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I'm on my first tank with the Motorcraft cetane booster (PM-22-A).
Since it's the first tank with about 3.5oz, I don't expect any results and nothing has changed so far with a half tank used. I'll make sure I put in the recommended 4oz next tank or maybe every other tank; we'll see.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:15 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed today, on my 350 mile trip down to Indianapolis, the winter fuel blend shows a 1.5 mpg drop.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 AM
tampacamper
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I like the Motorcraft cetane booster. It's not very expensive and it works well. I just got a case of it after my experience with B20. I can't promise that you will get your MPG back but it is a good product and does help.
Have you ever used Diesel Kleen?

Does anyone no if they change the fuel here in Florida

Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 AM
sncbluegt
Senior User
Originally Posted by tampacamper
Have you ever used Diesel Kleen?

Does anyone no if they change the fuel here in Florida
I dont believe they do...I think you just have to tough it out for that two weeks in February where its actually cold. I have been wrong before but for some reason I remember nothing being different about the diesel in the "winter" there.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:26 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
1.5 mpg is pretty much the difference I have always seen.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rickatic
I noticed today, on my 350 mile trip down to Indianapolis, the winter fuel blend shows a 1.5 mpg drop.
That makes sense. Were the pumps where you filled up labeled with any winter blend notices?

Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=tampacamper;9521997]Have you ever used Diesel Kleen?

I have used Diesel Kleen, seems fine but you have to use about 8oz. of the stuff. The Motorcraft is only 4oz per tank. Smaller bottles, easier to deal with. Just a simple preference for me.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:19 PM
tampacamper
Senior User
Originally Posted by sncbluegt
I dont believe they do...I think you just have to tough it out for that two weeks in February where its actually cold. I have been wrong before but for some reason I remember nothing being different about the diesel in the "winter" there.
Thanks I'm coming from a gasser. OH by the way we had 3 weeks last year

Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
Originally Posted by tampacamper
Thanks I'm coming from a gasser. OH by the way we had 3 weeks last year
haha you lucky sucker!!!
It NEVER really gets too warm here in CO...it can get in the high 90s and low 100s in the summer here but it still doesn't feel like what I was use to in Oklahoma and Daytona Beach. I miss my warm climates.

Quick Reply: getting back mileage on winter blend???