6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Exhaust leak and no boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust leak and no boost

Finished the IPR and STC replacement. Truck start great but got no boost and exhaust under the hood. I've reseated and repositioned the v-band clamps a number of times, both with the manfold/y-pipe bolts loose and I still can't get the thing to seal. Looks to me like it's y-pipe to turbo. Is there something I'm missing here. What's the best way to get them to fit?

Old 11-01-2010, 10:39 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem, i'll wait with you....

Old 11-01-2010, 10:44 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Great. I just don't know what else to do. I looked at the y-pipe prior to putting it back in, and didn't see any cracks or traces of carbon. Does yours hiss? I appear to be getting smoke from around the turbo, but can't tell where.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:56 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does that connection between the turbo and Y pipe have one of those thin metal gaskets? It's been a while since I had mine ripped off, but I seem to remember a thin metal gasket that I kept dropping behind the motor and it would end up laying on top of the trans. It may be that it fell off and is not sealing.

Edit: disregard I think that was on the up pipe.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:59 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Never saw any kind of gasket. Just the v-band clamps. Wish I could say there was. At least then I would know what I'm doing wrong.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Fallguy2004
Senior User
My Y pipe wouldn't seat very well when I did my motor, I had to loosen off both up pipes and removed all 3 turbo bolts to get the Y pipe to turbo flange lined up properly. Tightened the turbo flange and then reinstalled/tightened the up pipes.
Not sure if you already tried removing the bolts for the up pipes yet.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:09 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
I remember lining that thing up was a PITA. I ended up having to crawl back under and loostening the up pipe and turbo bolts and then mating them together with everything loose before I tightened them back up. Now that I think about how the turbo is shaped on the exhaust in port. I don't think it has those flat gaskets, but I know there is one on the top of the up pipe and the up pipe connetion to the EGR cooler.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:40 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Fallguy2004
My Y pipe wouldn't seat very well when I did my motor, I had to loosen off both up pipes and removed all 3 turbo bolts to get the Y pipe to turbo flange lined up properly. Tightened the turbo flange and then reinstalled/tightened the up pipes.
Not sure if you already tried removing the bolts for the up pipes yet.
That will be the project for this weekend. Just took it all apart and put back together again last night. Still leaking. Will clamp the Y-pipe first, then the exhaust, last the turbo bolts. What a pain.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has a hissing noise too - I thought it was the CAC tube because it had a hole in in, but I fixed the hole and it's still hissing. I'm going to wait until you do yours and get it right, then you can tell me what you did. That will be way easier...for me.
I'm going to google earth Carvel and see where you live, I've never heard of it. Probably just like you've never heard of Patricia.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:58 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
You have to get the seal nice and tight before you even bother with the v-band clamp. Use a pry bar to lightly lift the pipe into the ringed grove of the turbo and then slide the v-band over it and tighten it down. If you don't get a good seal right off the bat you'll have problems. It's a royal pain in the ***.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Originally Posted by John Irwin
Mine has a hissing noise too - I thought it was the CAC tube because it had a hole in in, but I fixed the hole and it's still hissing. I'm going to wait until you do yours and get it right, then you can tell me what you did. That will be way easier...for me.
I'm going to google earth Carvel and see where you live, I've never heard of it. Probably just like you've never heard of Patricia.

Carvel is about 15Km west of Stony Plain, on the west side of Edmonton.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:50 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Well, got her sealed up now - finally. Here the main steps that worked for me (turbo removed):
1. completely unbolt the y-pipe at the manifolds and EGR cooler. Rest y-pipe on manifold as if your going to bolt it up.
2. remove all heat shield bolts but don't remove heat shield.
3. Put a little antiseize on the EGR cooler cooler flange to help the seal stick. Line up the y-pipe and EGR cooler flanges with seal held in place on the EGR cooler by the antiseize. Hold joint together with one hand while slipping v-band clamp over the joint. Insert fastener on v-band clamp and tighten.
4. Place turbo back on pedestal - do not insert any bolts.
5. Line up y-pipe with turbo. Takes a little wiggling, but eventually you'll get it. When it snaps into place you'll hear a solid pop.
6. Place v-band clamp over y-pipe to turbo joint and tighten
7. Insert turbo bolts and tighten.
8. Align down pipe with turbo
9. Apply v-band clamp and tighten.
10. Line up y-pipe and exhaust manifold joints. Insert bolts. Put on nuts and tighten.
11. Reinstall all other components
12. Start truck and check for leaks.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:44 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
did you hook up the map hose? that may be the no boosty issue.
lining up the y pipe is more then likly the exhaust leak.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 AM
mohle
More Turbo
Originally Posted by cheezit
did you hook up the map hose? that may be the no boosty issue.
lining up the y pipe is more then likly the exhaust leak.
Thanks Cheezit, but got her all sealed last night. Basically wrote my step by step for John Irwin. He was having the same problem. Took me three tries to get it to seal. Don't really know what I did different other than leaving the y-pipe to manifold bolts out completely. Now she's all good. Can't believe this all started with a leaking IPR valve. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot the problem in another thread.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Fallguy2004
Senior User
Glad you got'er all sealed up!

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak and no boost