Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

your winterizing routine!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:48 AM
bubblegum
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joelswork
Ok guys, help me out here! First year with a diesel and I travel the country. When am I gonna have to plug this thing in (30,25,20 and lower)and am I gonna have to carry a couple hundred feet of extention cord to get from the hotel room to the van? Oh, might have to fix the plug too....rat ate through it (just remembered that one). What types of additives do I need to keep from gelling and what not, the blends that are going to be mixed in that tank are gonna be really different. Should I avoid certain areas (big cities, certain states) when I fill up. What needs to be kept in the "stays in van" box in back?
Joel, your block heater should be about 1500W, which is like a small personal-space heater - this is too much power to run through 100ft or more of extension cord, unless it's a very big cord. When I have to plug in the Blazer I use a 50ft 12-gauge extension cord, I should probably use a 10-gauge cord but they are so expensive... Anywho, forget about plugging the van in your hotel room, as I'm quite positive the hotel management will not be happy with you if you tried it. What you can do is make sure your batteries are in top condition, anything 3 years or older is not in top condition. Check your cables too, both the positive and the negative cables - they are nice and big, but corrosion will still eat them alive. Starter, needs to be in good shape, my goofball has been talking about some gear-drive starter or something, so this must be some upgrade over the factory starter. You can add a bigger cable to feed your glowplugs relay directly from the batteries, the Blazer has two 4-gauge cables for this purpose (all I had at the time) and I think I saw something like a 2-gauge cable on the F350 as well. As far as fuel add-ins, I run Howes, but there are other good ones as well.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:08 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by bubblegum
I'll have to check how old the batteries really are, and spend my next paycheck on new batteries. The cables do not look promising either, at least the driver-side terminal looks quite bad - think I'll just replace it tomorrow as a temporary measure. Pricing things out from AutoZone it's $100 per battery and $110 for the positive cable Anyone think 2/0 will be good enough?
If it's a cruddy terminal and the wire is OK, just cut and replace the terminal for under a buck. If you have a walmart nearby their batteries are cheaper and so far have served me very well. You can get free battery test at Autozone, just disconnect the jumper lead between them or the dummies will erroneously test them paralleled giving a false high reading.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:10 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Winterizing-less heavy gear oil in my fuel tank and a long sleeve shirt to bear the warm up time.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:19 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,100 Likes on 2,162 Posts
Originally Posted by joelswork
Ok guys, help me out here! First year with a diesel and I travel the country. When am I gonna have to plug this thing in (30,25,20 and lower)and am I gonna have to carry a couple hundred feet of extention cord to get from the hotel room to the van? Oh, might have to fix the plug too....rat ate through it (just remembered that one). What types of additives do I need to keep from gelling and what not, the blends that are going to be mixed in that tank are gonna be really different. Should I avoid certain areas (big cities, certain states) when I fill up. What needs to be kept in the "stays in van" box in back?

I did just change the coolant, oil, filter, fuel filter, return lines (need to fix the fuel heater o-rings), fresh tires, spare is up on air and good, jumper cables are there, I'll always have the tools, huge plug in light and flash light, blankets, (maybe some sand/kitty litter), tow strap, 12 ga, someone to push if I get stuck somewhere?

First run this month is texas for two weeks, then home for a few days here in tennessee and up to detroit for a week, cleveland mid december and bidding on some jobs in the north east to finish the year.
fuel additive is nothing more than Diesel Kleen. add some every other tank or so and you will be fine.
as far as an extension cord goes, 50 miles long should do the trick.
but really, if your batteries are good and the glow plug circuit is working properly, you should have no problems cold starting at -15 F. just let it warm up before driving at those temps.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by johnboggs21
Must be talking bout your stroke?
The stroke needs to be opened up and retorqued too... I guess they're referred to as " Valve lever post bolts" on the IDI and are torqued to 20 lbs-ft.

Originally Posted by Spool&Go
Ooh. Heated shop. Fancy. I am jealous. And yes, get the small torque wrench. I rented one that was large and I was way too far away from those bolts when I was retorquing them. Not to mention they are not large bolts so I was using reducers and deep sockets. Ended up slipping and smashing my thumb pretty good. I can still see the black spot under my fingernail ha. Anyways, good luck for when you do the swap. The floor being cold wont be a problem for that job.
I'm jealous too. It's my folks shop and I have to drive 50 miles to use it.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
The stroke needs to be opened up and retorqued too... I guess they're referred to as " Valve lever post bolts" on the IDI and are torqued to 20 lbs-ft.

I'm jealous too. It's my folks shop and I have to drive 50 miles to use it.
I think what youa are talking about are the "rocker pedistal bolts" I retorqued these when I was in there doing my glow plugs and it did smooth out and quiet down the idle a little.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:41 AM
joelswork
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
fuel additive is nothing more than Diesel Kleen. add some every other tank or so and you will be fine.
as far as an extension cord goes, 50 miles long should do the trick.
but really, if your batteries are good and the glow plug circuit is working properly, you should have no problems cold starting at -15 F. just let it warm up before driving at those temps.
If I have a 50 mile extention cord, I'm gonna have to call it a "Chevy volt xxxl"

Old 11-05-2010, 08:44 AM
joelswork
Senior User
Batteries are new, cables good, terminals look terminal looks like repairing all but one! Need to figure out how to test the GPS and I'll be good

Old 11-05-2010, 12:51 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both positive or negative terminals are shot, Joel? Usually it's the positive ones tat corrode bad. You can do like was suggested in that case, at least on the driver-side - cut old terminal off, strip some of the insulation, and bolt a new terminal on. The passenger side one will be tricky tho...

Old 11-05-2010, 01:46 PM
joelswork
Senior User
You should have seen the engine compartment when we picked up these vans in texas, there were texas sized "mice" living in there and it looked like they survived on nothing but ford parts for 3 years while it sat....waiting for me! The batteries were toast (texas toast?) and right now the terminal connections have actually broken from me trying to tighten them. The negitive on drivers side is good but the other three need terminals. Something to think about doing, quickly I guess! I have plenty of slack on both sides due to having to reroute wires to make them work when I picked it up. Nice van though, for $760 (till you add in the $2000 tranny) but still worth it I think. 185,000 miles and it's replacing my 89 nissan hardbody truck with just under 600,000 (I can't kill it but the van was origially cheaper than fixing the a/c and putting cruise in the nissan and the fuel mileage is almost the same)

Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Joel,
As you travel northern states, the fuel should be blended for the average low temps in that area.

Where you run into problems is when you have fuel from a southern area, higher average low temp, and then travel to a much colder area.
Time to add fuel anti gel treatment.
The other thing that can get you, say the average low temp for the area you are in is 10 degrees.
A frigid arctic front moves in with temps running in the -15 range.
Now you fuel is blended for temps 25 degrees warmer that what you are seeing and you are probably looking at trouble.

A spare fuel filter or two, a gallon or so of Diesel Kleen to refill the new filters when you have to change one, a fuel filter wrench and a couple bottles of Diesel 911 for when you get stuck with gelled fuel in the tank make a good travel kit as far as the fuel system goes.

Buy questionable fuel, add Diesel Kleen to the tank then, not after you have trouble.

Gelled fuel is one of those things that is much cheaper and easier to handle before it happens.
Once you have a slug of paraffin stopping up a fuel line, even the 911 is going to have a hard time getting you running again without a warm place to melt the paraffin so it can diffuse back into the fuel.

Best test for glow plugs, ohm meter.
One lead on the nut, one lead on the electrical connector of the plug, wires removed.
Optimum resistance .5 to 1 ohm.
Takes a decent meter to test resistance that close to a dead short.
Resistance over 1 ohm, less heat produced while the plug is on and the controller will shorten the glow cycle since it thinks the glow plug is already hotter than it really is.

Information here, .5 ohms makes 200 watts of heat and draws 20 amps per glow plug at 10 volts at the plug.
By the time the resistance increases to 1 ohm, the heat drops to 100 watts and the amp draw also drops to 10 amps with the same 10 volt current to the plug.

As for the block heater, if you have a 1500 watt heater, a 50 foot cord should be 12 AWG wires minimum.
A 100 foot cord should be 8 AWG wires minimum.

You can replace the glow plugs with 20 dollar each glow plugs for less money than the 8 AWG 100 foot cord will cost.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
As for running the rears singled out, same thing as running adapters to run duals on a SRW axle, except the offset is the other direction.

We had snow here today, nothing layed on the ground here, but they had a couple inches up in the mountains east of here, so no it is not going to be long.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:06 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
As for running the rears singled out, same thing as running adapters to run duals on a SRW axle, except the offset is the other direction.
Well, those who have converted to a dually setup by just adding spacers to their SRW hubs can probably get away with just running the inboard wheels, as because of the spacer the tire will sit right about where the factory SRW tire used to sit (halfway between the two hub bearings). For factory DRW axles tho, I think just running SRW wheels on those would be a better choice.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
Originally Posted by johnboggs21
yea i hear ya. At least your gassers 2wd and ur diesels not. You know how bad those 2wd diesels suck for traction? lol
2wd diesel, dually full ton long bed crew cab. floor it around a turn on fresh soft snow and it barely slides out I ran lighter weight oil last year. this year my baby is getting parked bought a beeter for $900 with 33" snow tires 4x4. should be fun, also f150. anyone throw some weight in the bed? will be carying a colapsable camp shovel since im going to school in the bottom of the snow belt with lake effect