Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

@#&% Extang Tonneau Convers

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:22 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@#&% Extang Tonneau Convers

So I have an extang tonneau on my truck with the 8ft bed. In MI a few weeks ago we got a cool snow storm, then it half melted, and got even more snow.

While this was cool and all but 2 of the cross bows on the tonneau collapsed. So I bent them back and they cracked :/

I call up the extang people aboutn warranty work b/c all this seemes like a pile of B.S. and then they tell me that is not covered by warranty!

According to Extang, snowing, then melting, then snowing again is an act of god, which therein voids the warranty! I explained to them snowing is not an act of god and it is actually a common occurance for MI that happens often in the winter. That is nature, those dummies.

I then proceeded to tell Extang to shove acts of got up their @$$ and design a tonneau cover that can withstand nature. (*$IY#%O$OY#(O#IO#GRO#IRKAF

I do believe in god, and cannot deny him for any reason... but if there is anyone on here who does not believe in god, please call 1-800-877-2588 and ask them to define 'acts of god' in the event you do not believe in a god.

So I guess the only thing I can do is share my crappy experience and hope yall boycott

Last edited by krewat; 12-09-2008 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Come on, way too much masked profanity and other statements
Old 12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My frined bought the new body style sierra back in 0-something when they went back to a crew cab. Well the crew cab only came with the 5.5' box so they send the wrong cover and the nightmare begins. After about a full year of arguing they sent another and that was closer but wrong. Now I have all my customers go to the local Canvas shop here and they will build it and the tarp is made out of no shrink Boat Canvas material...thats good for the wether around here. I have never had a problem taking my cover off or putting it back on it temps well below 0. Keep working on it maybe they will do the right thing.

Sarge

Old 12-08-2008, 01:40 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
How much do they charge for a canvas top? Black? I'm interested to just stretching it to my crappy extang frame.

Extang is a bunch of tools... I gave in and paid half price for the new bows so I didn't have to listen to their Al Gore like banter anymore.

Seriously... I could write a book about why I am amazed they can see the light of day from up their...

Acts of god, more like our crappy product isn't designed worth beans so we'll throw a completely arbitrary warranty clause and trick people into buying them with commercials that show fat guys using them as a trampoline.

I wonder if acts of the fat man are covered by warranty? I'm pretty sure god has better things to be doing than ruining tonneau covers one by one only manufactured by extang...

Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never had a problem with Extang or their customer service. I wonder if it's because I was a dealer. Try going to a truck store that deals in extang, I bet they can make it right quickly.

Now I have had to tweak kits with a chop saw before, but every question or problem I've had that I couldn't fix in shop they handled immediately. It would suck if they only took good care of their dealers in a way, on the other hand, it is a way to get you to visit your local stores.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:18 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
When I had a soft bed cover I cleaned the snow off before it got so heavy that it could cause this. I don't know how much snow you had on there. I would clean mine when a few inches piled up just in case.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:36 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Thinking about it. If you want to repair it, clean the crack up (remove slag and sharp edges), and insert something inside of the bow. I want to say 1/2"x 7/8" should fit inside, be it a couple of 1/2" dowel rod pieces or a piece of wood shaved down to match. Then you can treat the outside as you like. If you can get them to replace it, duct tape will suffice, but if you want a more finished look, probably and epoxy like JB weld and grind back flush.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Truck Stuff
Senior User
Wow, that is crazy. Haha act of god........

Old 12-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think it around 350 for the whole thing. They build the frame and all so I dont think they would adapt it to another companys product. With all the above being said I kind of felt bad for my buddy because I have always used the extang Black Maxx on all my trucks exept the last 2 with no issues. The only reason I switched is beacuse this one doesnt shrink.

Sarge

Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM
05chop
Elder User
Didn't Ex tang have a girl standing on there tonneau cover in an ad?

Old 12-08-2008, 05:00 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Yes they did, but she was a little thing. and metal fatigue or a bad batch could have accounted for the problem.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Robs06SuperDuty
Elder User
did you change the clips on the rails around for the winter time? the Clips that the cover snaps to has two different settings, summer and winter, Winter setting allows more slack in the cover for weight of snow/ice. I've had my Extang Tonno for over 2 years and a few times have had almost a foot of solid snow on the cover with no problems.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:48 PM
CTYankee
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My shop is an authorized Extang dealer and we've gotten warranty coverage for our customers on things that probably shouldn't have qualified. In fact, I just got new gas struts for a customer with a tonneau cover that's over two years old.

One of the benefits of buying from an authorized dealer is that we can get warranty coverage on problems that the individual owner can't. So, yes, Extang does treat their dealers better in some cases but it's because we can screen out the claims that truly do result from owner negligence while Extang Customer Service cannot.

Overall, our experience with Extang has been very positive, but I don't think we've ever seen anything as severe as you've described. Still, I'd venture to guess that we could have gotten you warranty coverage on that.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:04 PM
FX4 5.4
Senior User
i had an extang on my 03 f150. it was ok. i hated the snaps, but it never gave me any problems. i have since went to lund and have been very happy. i had another f150 at the time, but last winter here in north jersey, we had a really bad ice/snow storm. i had a lund seal n peal, and there was absolutly no bends or cracks in the bars and the cover didn't stretch. the only problem i had with it was that the rubber pieces at the ends of the bars don't hold up to constant taking on and off. on my 05 super duty short bed i have a lund tri fold and LOVE it. it had 4 bars instead of 3 and it the eaisest thing to take on and off

Old 12-08-2008, 09:15 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
call em back, make up a story,

Old 12-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
I do believe in God, and cannot deny him for any reason... but if there is anyone on here who does not believe in god, please call 1-800-877-2588 and ask them to define 'acts of god' in the event you do not believe in a god.
Same here bro!

And that's some funny chit!

Rep points!

Stewart

Quick Reply: @#&% Extang Tonneau Convers