Sponsored by: DP Tuner

electrical issue with low beams help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 12:45 PM
ampslw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical issue with low beams help

so last night I was driving home from work and i switched from low beam to high beam, everything was all right but when i switched back to low beam the low beams did not work. the multi funtion switch still clicks when switching from low to high, the running lights (DRL) will work in the parking light position but with the truck off and not running I can't get the low beams to work. this happened to me last week but I just turned the headlights off and on again and they started to work. with the truck running and the parking brake not engaged the running lights are about as bright as the headlights were. but with the parking brake engaged the headlights will only work with the low beams when the switch is in the parking light position.

any thoughts on what this could be?

my guess is the DRL module or a stuck relay. I will go outside later and have a look to see what it is.

on another note, my truck seems to be blowing alot more blue smoke on cold start than last year (-3 or -4 celcius), still using same oil brand (Rotella), runs good, lots of power. it will blow blue for 5 to 10 minutes.

truck normally doesn't blow any blue or black smoke while driving. now I do know I have a little bit of a leak on the driver's side up pipe, but I do not think this is contributing. the fuel filter has less than 6,000 km and I buy what I think to be very clean fuel. (new air filter two weeks ago).

when oil cap is off and over top of oil filter tube there is no pressure but while truck is warming up lots of blue smoke until the idle kicks in and in this I assume is the turbo sucking the air from the crane case ventilation hose.

please let me know if you have any thoughts.

thanks

Last edited by ampslw; 11-06-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: help
Old 11-06-2010, 06:15 PM
ampslw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
things it is not

check the bulbs ,swaped out the drl unit , check for a relay but could not find it ,

there is no power on fuse 46 & 47 witch is for the head light low beam left and right