1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

$1500 - what to buy?!? - UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:57 AM
ospreyguy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$1500 - what to buy?!? - UPDATE

So I am planning on selling a motorcycle (Nice Honda shadow 1100 spirit if someone is interested ) and will have a little spare cash to put into the truck.

So here's what we have. $1500 to spend on a few upgrades and what not. I was thinking suspension and brakes. The interior could use some new carpet and a dash cover but the rest is pretty solid. Paint and body is great. Maybe some new tires... (it has really cheap, small ones now that look rough).

What do you guys think? I have a few pics in the album if you want to take a look.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 PM
ospreyguy
Junior User
Come on fellas I know you guys have some ideas...

Old 11-01-2010, 04:11 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
Some new tires and rims will make the truck look alot better, not to mention it will ride better.

You can often find good deals on tires and rims and such on craigs list for pretty cheap. Its also where i just got mine. Brand new rims and tires for 600, which was cheaper than if i went and bought just the rims.

Depending on what you want, bigger tires or stock. You can fit up to 31x10.5 tires under a stock pickup of our generation.

If you havent already replaced the brake stuff i highly suggest you do that over other stuff. I got all new calipers, rotors, pads, shoes for around 140 dollars. I suggest you check out rockauto and advance auto's websites. I was able to wheel and deal around different sites and get the best deals with free shipping and such.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:55 PM
ospreyguy
Junior User
Originally Posted by FordNFishinLover
Some new tires and rims will make the truck look alot better, not to mention it will ride better.

You can often find good deals on tires and rims and such on craigs list for pretty cheap. Its also where i just got mine. Brand new rims and tires for 600, which was cheaper than if i went and bought just the rims.

Depending on what you want, bigger tires or stock. You can fit up to 31x10.5 tires under a stock pickup of our generation.

If you havent already replaced the brake stuff i highly suggest you do that over other stuff. I got all new calipers, rotors, pads, shoes for around 140 dollars. I suggest you check out rockauto and advance auto's websites. I was able to wheel and deal around different sites and get the best deals with free shipping and such.
All that has been replaced but to stock. I was watching an old episode of Gearz the other day and he had an old chevy on there (73 I think) where he upgraded the brakes... YouTube - 3: 1973 Chevy Pickup - The Knucklebuster I wonder if that would be worth it?

Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
For a day to day truck im willing to bet its not worth the cost of the upgrade. If you were using the truck for racing and such id say go all for it.

You can find axles to replace yours that have disc brakes on the rear already, but im not really sure what years and what cars had them.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,661 Likes on 1,343 Posts
In times like these, replace the stuff it needs to be safe, and put the rest in the bank.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:10 AM
ospreyguy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
In times like these, replace the stuff it needs to be safe, and put the rest in the bank.
Not a bad freakin' idea.

Gonna get some new tires and go from there.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:07 AM
ospreyguy
Junior User
Got my new tires on. Went with the Goodyear wrangler HP 31 10.5 R15 and they look pretty sharp.

Also ordered a new carpet and hard dash cover from JC Whitney.

Found a behind the seat organizer and a rifle sling at the JY, not sure if the organizer will fit but we'll see...

Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Duct Tape Racing
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GUN RACK! thats what i would buy..

Old 11-12-2010, 09:55 AM
ospreyguy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Duct Tape Racing
GUN RACK! thats what i would buy..
Nice... I got a nice (well from a junkyard nice) sling with lots of pockets. So that will work for me!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ospreyguy
Got my new tires on. Went with the Goodyear wrangler HP 31 10.5 R15 and they look pretty sharp.

Also ordered a new carpet and hard dash cover from JC Whitney.

Found a behind the seat organizer and a rifle sling at the JY, not sure if the organizer will fit but we'll see...
Is that a cover that goes over your existing dash pad, or is it the dash pad itself that you bought? I'm in the market for a new dash pad myself, and would like to hear from someone who has actually purchased a new dash pad.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:19 AM
ospreyguy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Dorsai
Is that a cover that goes over your existing dash pad, or is it the dash pad itself that you bought? I'm in the market for a new dash pad myself, and would like to hear from someone who has actually purchased a new dash pad.
It's the hard cover not the full dash pad. Haven't gotten it yet but I've heard they are a great alternative...

Old 11-12-2010, 10:29 AM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
Sweet man, sounds like some good finds.

Get some pictures up of your truck with the new tires

Old 11-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ospreyguy
It's the hard cover not the full dash pad. Haven't gotten it yet but I've heard they are a great alternative...
OK, thanks. I keep hearing that they're pretty good, but I'd really prefer the pad itself.

It's weird...I can buy new door panels and whatnot practically on every street corner, but dash pads are like hen's teeth. What's up with that?

Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Dash pad covers are a cheap alternative until you need to remove your dash pad later. Then you have to actually cut the dash pad cover off, ruining it in the process.

Quick Reply: $1500 - what to buy?!? - UPDATE