6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Educate me on Oil Filters.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Fallguy2004
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Educate me on Oil Filters.....

Ok I was reading around and saw someone say that Fram oil filters are made by Racor and that Racor makes the Ford Motorcraft filters. Reading on that the Patent numbers are the tell tale sign, so I went to the store and looked at a Fram filter to see these Patent numbers.
Ok so I buy said Fram filter and to really see what the difference is between this one and the Motorcraft one in my truck.

Anyone wanna guess what I saw between the 2 filters?

Old 10-31-2010, 11:29 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
I dunno, I have been researching canister filters for a project of mine. And alot of the studies I have been reading suggest that FRAM has really gone down hill over the past ten years and rate them as one of the worst filters today. Of course those studies were for the self contained can filters and the judgements were based on the materials they were made of, also they found that 3/4's of the brand name filters out there are made by Champion labs. So what did you find?

Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 AM
snorindad
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No what did you find out? I am curious.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Fallguy2004
Senior User
I'll post my findings once more people have see this.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:50 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
IIRC the Fram filter says Fram on it on the opposite end of the patent markings.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:58 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
npccpartsman has verified that Racor does not make Fram. Fram uses the plastic parts and same dimensions, but uses different filtration media. Racor is a Parker Hannifin company (that is who makes the Racor, International, and Motorcraft filters).

Old 11-01-2010, 02:48 AM
cactus13
Freshman User
Couple months ago I had a Motorcraft for my 6.0 in hand at Walmart when I noticed the Fram filter on the shelf for a buck and a half less. So I decided to compare right there just for the heck of it.
Side by side identical, and side by side same number printed with same color ink on both.
So what's the deal?

Cheers,
Dana

Old 11-01-2010, 07:48 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have both in front of me and they are identical down to the plastic wrap that holds the O ring and instructions. There is no difference I can detect looking at filtration material, even with a 10X eye loupe. The height of each are within .010 of an inch of each other. The only difference is the Motorcraft box is 5/8" taller then the Fram box.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 AM
moebdick
Elder User
I have bought Motorcraft, Wix, Purolators, and Frams. They have all been identical in physical size, appearance, and performance. I used to buy the Wix filters back in 2004, and the Purolators and Frams back in the 2 for $7 days (2007-08 time frame). I have a UOA done every oil change. The insolubles have always been in the 0.2 to 0.4 range. To my knowledge Wix and Purolator filters no longer look like MC filters, so I would not recommend them today. It's also possible Fram may have at one time not manufactured their own media/elements like they apparently do now. I just don't know. I still have a few of the old ones I bought, and will definitely use them without hesitation.

Anyway, you can see a comparison I did of the physical appearances of MC, Fram and Purolator filters a couple of years ago in this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ml#post5544190

Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by moebdick
I have bought Motorcraft, Wix, Purolators, and Frams. They have all been identical in physical size, appearance, and performance. I used to buy the Wix filters back in 2004, and the Purolators and Frams back in the 2 for $7 days (2007-08 time frame). I have a UOA done every oil change. The insolubles have always been in the 0.2 to 0.4 range. To my knowledge Wix and Purolator filters no longer look like MC filters, so I would not recommend them today. It's also possible Fram may have at one time not manufactured their own media/elements like they apparently do now. I just don't know. I still have a few of the old ones I bought, and will definitely use them without hesitation.

Anyway, you can see a comparison I did of the physical appearances of MC, Fram and Purolator filters a couple of years ago in this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ml#post5544190

Thats what I was comparing in the post above (Pep Boys 2 for $7) filters which I have 9 left. Next time I am at wally world I'll check a new Fram filter out.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:11 AM
wulfman
Posting Guru

i bought purolator 1 time, 4years ago, I was changing oil filters every 2,000 miles. when i pulled it out it had started collasping, look like it was sucked in, after that never agin. lucky i pulled it out when i did

Old 11-01-2010, 10:34 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Two Patent numbers on the Racor filters (also on some Frams from what I understand):

U.S. Patent 6.554.139 - This decribes the filter design (essentially)

A filter assembly includes housing enclosing a replaceable filter element. A support core is provided in the housing, and includes an extension and locking assembly. The element includes a ring of filtration media with a pair of end caps. The first end cap includes a central opening to receive the support core. The extension and locking assembly prevents the cover of the housing from being attached to the housing body without a proper filter element installed. The extension and locking assembly includes a bypass member and a locking member, which are in locking engagement when an element is absent in the housing. The second end cap includes internal protrusions which engage the locking member when the filter element is installed to disengage the bypass member from the support core, and allow the element to be inserted and the cover to be installed.

U.S. Patent 6.086.763 refers to the front disk assembly

A combination disc and sealing ring for a filter assembly is provided. The disc is an annular thermoplastic disc having a central aperture. The disc includes an upper side and a lower side and the upper side of the disc includes an annular thickened area that extends upward from the upper side of the disc and that is spaced radially outward from the aperture of the disc. The annular thickened area is thermally welded to a sealing ring. The height of the annular thickened area is at least one-third the height of the sealing ring. The sealing ring further includes a central aperture that has a common axis with the central aperture of the disc. The sealing ring also includes a compressible area radially disposed between the aperture of the sealing ring and the annular thickened area of the disc.

My understanding is that the media is still different between Fram and Racor. I doubt that any inspection we can do will identify that they are the same or subtly different.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:43 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Based on what npcpartsman found out, from Fram, I just buy the Motorcraft one at Wal-Mart for a few dollars more.

Granted, I only need to change my oil 2 to 3 times a year, so I'm spending maybe an extra 6 bucks a year. But even if I did it every month, that'd be less that $25 bucks a year. It's worth that much to me to know for sure what I'm getting.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Mark, besides the patent numbers you posted above the Fram filters I have also carry numbers 6,837,993 6,983,851 6,986,426 7,086,537 RE38,917 most I have are made in USA but 1 was made in Germany and were made 3 years ago or later.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
moebdick
Elder User
Those are Parker-Hannifin patents. Parker-Hannifin owns Racor. Here's the patent.

Quick Reply: Educate me on Oil Filters.....