1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

just good info

Old 10-31-2010, 12:29 PM
firebug
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just good info

Recently my truck was having intermittant starting problems. The batteries are new, newly rebuilt starter, new alternator, new GPR & CPS. I got in truck one afternoon to head home from a job and it wouldn't start, could hear starter solonoid (on fender) click (sometimes). Checked solinoid (looked ok), had someone else turn key to start while I tapped the starter and "bendix" on top of starter, still no go. Took starter solonoid off to replace and noticed one of the main wire connections was loose (plastic cracked around it). Was happy I found the problem....When got back with new one and installed, still no go . Took starter off and went parts house to have tested, tested just fine. When partsboy handed starter back to me I noticed on the "bendix" on top of starter, there was one screw and one hole. Looked at starter they had in stock and it had two screws on top. Bought new screw, put in hole, put back on truck and works great . When it was tested the machine clamped the "bendix" in place. The only thing I could figure was there was just enough sideways play in "bendix" it was getting in a bind and not ejecting the gear to engage the flywheel. Sorry this post was so long, but thought if this info could save anyone else the headache and time it was worth it.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Hey, no worries about the long post. Was a good read, glad you figured out the problem.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:36 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
x2 on what Talyn said and you have a good eye!!

Search this Thread