1966 Galaxie 390 4V tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Ekkehard
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1966 Galaxie 390 4V tune-up

Bought a 1966 Galaxie Ltd with Thunderbird 390 4V engine today. Have not purchased any service/workshop manual yet and would appreciate tune-up information (I know that I am in the truck forum, but maybe you can help anyway:

- ignition timing (w or w/o vacuum line attached)
- dwell angle
- spark plug and gap
- idle speed
- idle mixture adjustment

The engine has OK compression (between 170 and 190 psi), but runs rough at idle and surges at higher speeds.

Thx /ekkehard

Last edited by Ekkehard; 10-30-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: truck forum
Old 10-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekkehard
Bought a 1966 Galaxie Ltd with Thunderbird 390 4V engine today. Have not purchased any service/workshop manual yet and would appreciate tune-up information (I know that I am in the truck forum, but maybe you can help anyway:

- ignition timing (w or w/o vacuum line attached)
- dwell angle
- spark plug and gap
- idle speed
- idle mixture adjustment

The engine has OK compression (between 170 and 190 psi), but runs rough at idle and surges at higher speeds.

Thx /ekkehard
Ignition timing is alway initial and never with vacuum because ported vacuum is zero at idle. Try 10° BTDC

Dwell is 28° to 34°

Champion number RF9YC @.035"

600 RPM

Starting point is 1 1/2 turns out from lightly closed, then adjust for highest RPM

Old 10-31-2010, 02:36 AM
Ekkehard
Junior User
Thanks Bear 45/70!

Old 10-31-2010, 04:52 AM
Riderman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bear is correct with the spec's on your engine.

In MHO, However, stay away from those junk *** champion spark plugs. They may be good for 2 cycle boat motor's, but that's about it. I've pulled more defective Champion spark plug's out of motor's than all other brand's combined, most when they were brand new. It didnt matter if they were used in a 25KV or 50KV ignition system. That is not a boast, but a fact from a EX master NIASE\ASE pro that worked in the field for a day or two. As soon as the anylizer was hooked up on a new tune up that had a secondary spark\voltage issue, and the spark tail from the spark plug was grounded\missing, guess Champion as the plug and you would win money in a bet. Their quality has not gotten better since I have changed job descriptions.

With that being said, you cannot go wrong with Autolight spark plug's for the FE engine.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:27 AM
Ekkehard
Junior User
Thx, will go for the Autolite plugs... Any thoughts on coil, distributor and cables? Distributor/coil are stock, cables look like carbon fiber...

Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Riderman
Bear is correct with the spec's on your engine.

In MHO, However, stay away from those junk *** champion spark plugs. They may be good for 2 cycle boat motor's, but that's about it. I've pulled more defective Champion spark plug's out of motor's than all other brand's combined, most when they were brand new. It didnt matter if they were used in a 25KV or 50KV ignition system. That is not a boast, but a fact from a EX master NIASE\ASE pro that worked in the field for a day or two. As soon as the anylizer was hooked up on a new tune up that had a secondary spark\voltage issue, and the spark tail from the spark plug was grounded\missing, guess Champion as the plug and you would win money in a bet. Their quality has not gotten better since I have changed job descriptions.

With that being said, you cannot go wrong with Autolight spark plug's for the FE engine.
You do realize that back in the 60s Ford engines came with Champion plugs, don't you?

Also why would a plug work in 2 strokes and not in 4 strokes when 4 strokes are 5 times easier on plugs than 2 strokes are?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Riderman
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bear 45/70
You do realize that back in the 60s Ford engines came with Champion plugs, don't you?

Also why would a plug work in 2 strokes and not in 4 strokes when 4 strokes are 5 times easier on plugs than 2 strokes are?
"You do realize" that ford switched from champion to Autolite for a reason. right? I mean, the seventies and 2010 came around.

The 2 cycle info was a joke just for you, from a previous post of your's justifying these junk *** plugs in boat motor's. Jeesh Bear, I cant even throw you a bone without you snarling.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Riderman
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ekkehard
Thx, will go for the Autolite plugs... Any thoughts on coil, distributor and cables? Distributor/coil are stock, cables look like carbon fiber...
For a stock application, you cannot go wrong with motorcraft parts!

If you want to go a little above stock, for 50 KV secondary spark for example, there are lot's of options as there are oppinions. If you want to stay with sixties technology, just ask Bear.

C'mom bear, just pulling your chain here. Have a sence of humer, It's been awhile since we "chatted"

Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
"You do realize" that ford switched from champion to Autolite for a reason. right? I mean, the seventies and 2010 came around.

The 2 cycle info was a joke just for you, from a previous post of your's justifying these junk *** plugs in boat motor's. Jeesh Bear, I cant even throw you a bone without you snarling.
They switched because they bought a spark plug manufacturing company and no other reason.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
For a stock application, you cannot go wrong with motorcraft parts!

If you want to go a little above stock, for 50 KV secondary spark for example, there are lot's of options as there are oppinions. If you want to stay with sixties technology, just ask Bear.

C'mom bear, just pulling your chain here. Have a sence of humer, It's been awhile since we "chatted"
Gee, I won 2 National High Point Championships and set 3 speed records in the 80's with Champions. So stuff your smart assed remarks moron.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Old FORD Tech
New User
Surge at higher speeds can be caused from the jetting too lean or plugged or dirty jets.
These engines are very easy to work on. Set dwell at 28 degrees and adjust timing to the gas. Also check for vacuum leaks.

Good Luck
Dave

Old 11-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Riderman
Elder User
They switched because they bought a spark plug manufacturing company and no other reason.
I disagree. Look at the materials, Champion, aluminum, autolight steel. We dont even want to go into what constitutes the heat range make up, and stability. Other than that, I aint no Engineer for plug's. BUT, I stand by my earlier posts about these champion spark plug's, hundred's of happy customer's with my correct diagnosis of these cheap *** plug's being defective right out of the box.

I say, buy em and use em, 9 out of ten give no problems in the long run.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Riderman
Elder User
Gee, I won 2 National High Point Championships and set 3 speed records in the 80's with Champions. So stuff your smart assed remarks moron.
Jeesh, we hijacked a thread and you called me a "bad" name over a difference of oppinion. MY dad's bigger than your's..LOL C'mon now. I appologize, I didnt think you would get this upset.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Jeesh, we hijacked a thread and you called me a "bad" name over a difference of oppinion. MY dad's bigger than your's..LOL C'mon now. I appologize, I didnt think you would get this upset.
My dad's dead dummy. I have never seen an aluminum spark plug. I will bet I changed more plugs than you.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Ekkehard
Junior User
I had to remove a lot of old debris from the carb, one of the main jets was partly blocked (still need to remove all jets and clean with compressed air). Idle is much better now, surging almost gone, BUT : there is an annoying hesitation coming and going at constant speed, the car slows down / accelerates slightly, more prominent the slower I go. I can see a similar thing when looking at the vacuum gauge at idle, vacuum keeps "cycling" slightly...

Any ideas where to look? I plan to pull the carb and clean it completely, ignition seems OK.

Quick Reply: 1966 Galaxie 390 4V tune-up