Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Senior User

FSJ-EARL is starting off with a positive reputation.
COOLANT FLUSH AND FILL

It is starting to get a bit chilly here in Central PA, I want to do a flush and fill of my radiator, but I am hearing / reading all kinds of things about the proper coolant/ anti freeze / additives/ corrosion / cavitation and all kinds of stuff I don't really understand. Does somebody have a really good write up or description of what to do, how to do it, what to use, etc.? THANKS IN ADVANCE!
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Project rig
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4 door - wife's Jeep
1983 Jeep J10 pickup - trail rig
Old 10-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Here's a link:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/96...ml#post8935201
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 10-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Junior User

eetalt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Coolant flush

I went through this decision-making process after doing a search on coolant on this forum and decided to go with the Cat ELC in my '99 PSD here in North Carolina. It looks like a good product and I like the product effective lifespan.

Also, you might want to look at Gooch's coolant flush write-up here: Ford Super Duty Coolant Flushing Procedure | Superdutypsd.com. As he says, the PSDs came with either the green coolant which requires monitoring or the Ford gold coolant. The big deal for changing coolant types is to do a very thorough flush of the system before putting in the new coolant.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Senior User

FSJ-EARL is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow, this is quite the job. What is a "degas" bottle, and where do you get all these types of coolant?
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Project rig
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4 door - wife's Jeep
1983 Jeep J10 pickup - trail rig
Old 10-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Post Fiend

150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had mine done at the dealer. Didnt have time to do it myself. Cost me about $100.00. I try to change it every year or two. Its pretty important on these diesels.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:55 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ-EARL View Post
Wow, this is quite the job. What is a "degas" bottle, and where do you get all these types of coolant?
The degas bottle is your radiator overflow reservoir.

Check out the yellow pages of your phone book. Look up "Oils Lubricating" and it should give you a list of point-of-sale petroleum outlets in your area.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Senior User

01EX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Excellent link binuay
Thanks for putting it out there.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01EX View Post
Excellent link binuay
Thanks for putting it out there.
I'm kind of partial to that link too.

Gooch's flush procedure is carried on almost all diesel enthusiast forums, but the link I put together includes a bunch of Gooch's coolant info that I haven't ever seen posted in one thread.

I culled all that info from various threads and posts by Gooch from over the years and saved it to my hard drive. I checked with Gooch before posting the info, since it was several years old, and he said it was still current and correct.

I've done a bit of research into ELC's and everything I've found backs up all of Gooch's info.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Post Fiend

big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
CAT ELC user here too Earl but Fleetguard ELC is another good one, just make sure to read the containers for HD trucks. Check your local truck stops too, there pretty cost consience. Its a process to change out the coolant but you'll never have to do it again.
Mike's 03 [font=Verdana]F-250 7.3 CC SB XLT 4x4 Auto and just joined the 229,000 miles and counting. [font=Comic Sans MS]PAA#26 Wife's: Whoops, I mean an 08 (Explorer) Eddie B. 4.0 v6 4x4 109,000
Old 10-29-2010, 08:08 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2003, 2005, 96, chaange, coolant, diesel, e250, expedition, f150, f250, flush, ford, goochs, procedure, v10