Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Posting Guru

Anafiel has a very good reputation on FTE.Anafiel has a very good reputation on FTE.Anafiel has a very good reputation on FTE.Anafiel has a very good reputation on FTE.
Question Set dash clock 1985 F150-XL

Hi.
I had to swap out a steering column in my '85 F150XL. I disconnected the battery while doing the swap out, but now that everything is back in, I can't seem to figure out how to reset the dash clock. The clock is located at the top of the center dash section, has three buttons on the left side of the display. (Date, E-Time, Time) On the right of the display are two tiny buttons.

I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't get the display to change. Bummer! The clock has ALWAYS been set, and keeps good time. How do I get the display to update???

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Elder User

smashclash is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's a PITA. You have to hold down one button while pushing the other. My hours work but the minutes don't. You're best bet is to pull the battery at noon or midnite and reconnect. But then you get screwed in another week when DST ends.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Posting Guru

Anafiel has a very good reputation on FTE.Anafiel has a very good reputation on FTE.Anafiel has a very good reputation on FTE.Anafiel has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashclash View Post
It's a PITA. You have to hold down one button while pushing the other. My hours work but the minutes don't. You're best bet is to pull the battery at noon or midnite and reconnect. But then you get screwed in another week when DST ends.

Great idea! I have a feeling the little buttons on the right don't work any longer.

Just for the record, what would be the combination of buttons needed for the time setting, and for the date setting? (just in case they work, and someone else searching for the same info might find it useful...)
Old 10-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Senior User

beetle is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the exact same problem with mine but an easy fix. Remove the clock and open it up. Using a very narrow piece of fine sandpaper, snake it between the contact points on the small button switches and clean them up. Over time they become corroded.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Push and hold the clock button. then push the small left hand button for hours and right hand button for minutes
04 Ranger SCSB
96 Bronco 302 5speed, 6" and 35s
Old 10-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
Push and hold the clock button. then push the small left hand button for hours and right hand button for minutes

I was afraid of that. Neither of the small buttons work any longer. I pulled the battery cable right at noon today, so at least now I have the right time.

I'll try Beetle's suggestion on the contacts when I get a chance.

Thanks all!!

Anafiel
Old 10-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Senior User

85bobtail is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just checked the 1985 Owners manual about the factory option digital clock and hw to reset it.

HERE GOES:

IGNITION or "ACC" Must Be Switched On!!!!!!!!!!

3 large buttons on the left side of the display from left to right
Date = E-Time = Time

2 Small round buttons on right side of display, from left to right
L/Set (button1)= R/Set (button2)

To Set the Time:
Depress the "Time" button and either "button1" or "button2"

"button1" will advance the hour, an "A" will appear for AM & "P" for PM
"button 2" will advance minutes

To Set Date:

Depress "Date" button and hold down "button 1" or "button 2"

"button1" will advance the month
"button 2" will advance the day

E-Time - Elapsed Time

Depress "E-Time" button to go to the E-Time Mode

"button 1" used to zero timer
"button 2" is used to start and stop timer
Display will flash when timer is stopped

Hope this helps
Old 10-30-2010, 09:45 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
You might have some luck if you push those little buttons REAL hard.

The suggestion above to take it apart & clean it is a good one.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Post Fiend

81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post
You might have some luck if you push those little buttons REAL hard.

The suggestion above to take it apart & clean it is a good one.
I agree, push really hard, wiggle the little buttons, etc...

The 1983-1986 clocks are notorious for this issue.

The 1980-1982 clocks are different, and use a different setting proceedure.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:24 PM
Posting Guru

Talking

UPDATE:

All fixed! I took the clock out to clean the contacts as suggested, but found the real problem right away.

Seems ford was running short on little screws the day they assembled the clock. There are six screws that hold the PCB in the casing. Two in the center, and the four corners. On mine, they only used two screws on the opposing corners, so the screw post on the end with the little setting buttons broke off. What was happening was when you push the setting button, it was actually bending the whole PCB out and away.

I super glued the post back, and found screws for the posts that didn't have one, and now the buttons actuate the switches correctly. All the functions of the clock operate perfectly now.

Thanks for all your help guys. Your suggestions led me in the right direction!!!

Anafiel

The system didn't fail...the jury failed the system!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Posting Guru

nickmobile67 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to bring it back to say thanks. My clock buttons have never worked good, today I took it apart and sanded the contacts like it said here. I figured I have nothing to loose. Not even ten minutes later it was back in and probably hasn't worked this good since new!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:04 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
150, 1985, 1996, 1997, 86, changing, clock, dash, etime, f150, ford, problem, set, setting, truck