Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New o-rings, glow plugs and fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Phatboy1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New o-rings, glow plugs and fuel filter

Well I may have (*$^@#&*%^# the pooch on this one. After having over 100k on my 7.3 and having a hard time starting, I decided to change the glow plugs at the same time I replaced all injector o-rings, UVCH and fuel filter. Never done this before so I downloaded online instructions. Starting with the drivers side (I was going to do one at a time) I pulled the rear most #8 injector and glow plug (by the way, I think this injector has been replaced as it has a different color connector body than the other seven), installed the new glow plug and turned over the motor with a remote starter blowing the fuel and oil which had run into the cylinder out, then installed the injector. I then removed the next injector #6 and did the same thing however when I turned over the motor to make sure there was no fuel in the cylinder #8 hydro locked ( I apparently did not get all the fuel/oil out ) so I removed the glow plug from 8 and cleared the cylinder. Continuing on I completed the service to the remaining cylinders, reassembled everything and started the truck (after having to crank in short intervals for quite some time), when it did start there was a large puff of smoke, VERY rough idle and continued to smoke quite a bit. After a few seconds, things started to smooth out and settle down. However it was still idling rough and smoking a bit, so I decided to take it for a drive. I only went about 3 miles and the smoke Blueish stayed and it was blue/black when I accelerated but the blue smoke stayed. I have read other posts here and it taking several miles for things to settle in but I wanted to ask your opinion before I pulled the covers back off, pulled injectors to look for a problem and even do a compression test to see if I did any damage to #8.. Or, am I panicking and should just run it more to see if this clears up? Your help and advise is greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:06 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually 50ish miles to clear out all the air.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
If you pulled the rear injector from each side to let the cylinder head drain, then it's not uncommon for the extra fuel/oil to fill the cylinder and then continue on out the exhaust valve (if it's slightly open) and collect in the exhaust manifolds. Then when you get the engine started, it smokes a bunch and then collects in the muffler. A stock muffler has a drain hole and about half a quart of oil will run out. By this time you have lubricated your exhaust system quite well so it will smoke for quite some time until it burns off. The amount of smoke you witness should reduce as the engine runs. If not, then you might have a problem with one of your recently installed o-rings.

What brand of injector o-rings and glow plugs did you use?

In my experience, the engine should start a little rough, but idle quality should smooth out pretty quickly, like within 60 seconds of starting. Driving around will feel like the engine is weak and should improve the more you drive it. If you aren't noticing a significant improvement as each moment passes then something isn't correct and you need to check your work.

I have found that it is easy to knock off the #7 injector solenoid plug while re-installing the valve cover. Not sure how I accomplish that, but I seem to be quite skilled at it.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Phatboy1
.... to see if I did any damage to #8.. Or, am I panicking and should just run it more to see if this clears up? Your help and advise is greatly appreciated!!
I always turn the engine over by hand with a breaker bar instead of letting the starter do it. It is possible for the starter to hurt something if a cylinder hydrolocks. If you do this again, I recommend that you pull the injector and glow plug from #8 and let everything drain into that cylinder. Then, reinstall the injector and leave the glow plug out and rotate the engine by hand at least 4 or 6 times. Then remove and replace the remaining 3 injectors in that head one at a time, each time leaving the glow plug out. Then, before you re-install any of the glow plugs, rotate the engine a few more times by hand. When you re-install the glow plugs, slide a 6" piece of vacuum tubing over the end of the plug to use as a handle for installation. This makes it easier to thread in the glow plugs and reduces the risk that you will accidentally drop it in the lifter valley.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Phatboy1
New User
Thank you both for the response!! I took the truck out for another drive and you are correct about it getting better. There is practically no smoke now and it seems to be running and idling better. I guess this was a case of premature panic .. Thanks again!!
All the best

Old 10-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Phatboy1
New User
Originally Posted by gchavez
I always turn the engine over by hand with a breaker bar instead of letting the starter do it. It is possible for the starter to hurt something if a cylinder hydrolocks. If you do this again, I recommend that you pull the injector and glow plug from #8 and let everything drain into that cylinder. Then, reinstall the injector and leave the glow plug out and rotate the engine by hand at least 4 or 6 times. Then remove and replace the remaining 3 injectors in that head one at a time, each time leaving the glow plug out. Then, before you re-install any of the glow plugs, rotate the engine a few more times by hand. When you re-install the glow plugs, slide a 6" piece of vacuum tubing over the end of the plug to use as a handle for installation. This makes it easier to thread in the glow plugs and reduces the risk that you will accidentally drop it in the lifter valley.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I keep learning as I go, much appreciated!!

Old 10-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Phatboy1
New User
[What brand of injector o-rings and glow plugs did you use?]

[/quote]

Alliant Power o-rings and Diesel Rx Glow plug and controller..

Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

[What brand of injector o-rings and glow plugs did you use?]

Alliant Power o-rings and Diesel Rx Glow plug and controller..[/QUOTE]

Good on the Alliant O-rings,
Never heard of that brand of g-plugs before. I normally prefer Motorcraft. At least you didn't get Autolites.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:19 PM
pbr man
Elder User
Originally Posted by gchavez
Alliant Power o-rings and Diesel Rx Glow plug and controller..
Good on the Alliant O-rings,
Never heard of that brand of g-plugs before. I normally prefer Motorcraft. At least you didn't get Autolites. [/QUOTE]

I just installed Diesel Rx plugs in mine too. I am impressed at how fast it starts. They are American made and seem to be a good product.

About Diesel Glow Plugs, Fuel Pumps, Controllers, Feed Pumps, Fuel Injectors

Here is a comparison of some different brands.

Ford 7.3 Diesel Powerstroke Glowplugs Glow Plugs 95-03: eBay Motors (item 160475087528 end time Oct-29-10 13:33:37 PDT)

Old 10-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My truck also had a different injector for #8. It was Ford's fix for the cackle issue that cylinder has for fuel starvation.

Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2023, 11:43 AM
Rob Aikins
1st Gear
Well I may have (*$^@#&*%^# the pooch on this one. After having over 100k on my 7.3 and having a hard time starting, I decided to change the glow plugs at the same time I replaced all injector o-rings, UVCH and fuel filter. Never done this before so I downloaded online instructions. Starting with the drivers side (I was going to do one at a time) I pulled the rear most #8 injector and glow plug (by the way, I think this injector has been replaced as it has a different color connector body than the other seven), installed the new glow plug and turned over the motor with a remote starter blowing the fuel and oil which had run into the cylinder out, then installed the injector. I then removed the next injector #6 and did the same thing however when I turned over the motor to make sure there was no fuel in the cylinder #8 hydro locked ( I apparently did not get all the fuel/oil out ) so I removed the glow plug from 8 and cleared the cylinder. Continuing on I completed the service to the remaining cylinders, reassembled everything and started the truck (after having to crank in short intervals for quite some time), when it did start there was a large puff of smoke, VERY rough idle and continued to smoke quite a bit. After a few seconds, things started to smooth out and settle down. However it was still idling rough and smoking a bit, so I decided to take it for a drive. I only went about 3 miles and the smoke Blueish stayed and it was blue/black when I accelerated but the blue smoke stayed. I have read other posts here and it taking several miles for things to settle in but I wanted to ask your opinion before I pulled the covers back off, pulled injectors to look for a problem and even do a compression test to see if I did any damage to #8.. Or, am I panicking and should just run it more to see if this clears up? Your help and advise is greatly appreciated!!
I have the same problem could you let me know what to do

Old 09-24-2023, 11:50 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,920 Likes on 1,932 Posts
The last post on this thread prior to yours was 13 years ago. You may be better off posting your own thread to ask for help. Be detailed with the signs and symptoms you are experiencing.