Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Washington Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: GruesomeJeans

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Post Fiend

Snowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputation
Please welcome 89lariat to the fray!!!

He has a 1989 F-250!!!

Welcome to WAFTE!!!
Official Slackmaster #24 ~ Zombie Survivalist Extraordinaire
Proud owner of ~ 2002 F-250 SD PSD 6spd ~ 1996 F-350 PSD SC ~ 1984 VW Rabbit Diesel
Old 12-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Post Fiend

Snowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputationSnowbunny has a superb reputation
Please welcome Big Skier to our little group!!!

Big Skier has a 1971 F-250!!!

Welcome to WAFTE!!!
Proud owner of ~ 2002 F-250 SD PSD 6spd ~ 1996 F-350 PSD SC ~ 1984 VW Rabbit Diesel
Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Posting Guru

caseys has a good reputation on FTE.caseys has a good reputation on FTE.
Welcome 89lariat and Big Skier to the fray...

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. ~ Ancient
Old 12-22-2010, 02:00 AM
Junior User

Big Skier is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shops in WA & OR

Thanks for the welcome...

Just getting ready to pull the engine out of my '71 and send it to the shop for a rebuild. Anybody have suggestions on where to take the 360FE to be rebuilt as a 390? There are a couple shops here in south eastern WA that seem good, but I haven't decided yet.

Let me know if you have any pointers.

Thanks,
BS
Everything rusts in the end: Mt 6:19
Old 12-24-2010, 02:20 PM
New User

Toms78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbunny View Post
Please welcome Toms78 to the group!!!

Tom has a VERY nice looking 1978 Bronco!!!

Welcome to WAFTE, Tom!!!
Thanks!
Heres a couple pics of my Bronco. I just got it a few weeks ago, it has a half cab conversion, .060 over 460 for 472ci and lots more done to it. I just finished replacing all the brakes, now I'm doing the weatherstripping in the doors. What a PITA thats turning out to be!

Tom

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Posting Guru

That is one fine lookin' Bronco...!

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. ~ Ancient
Old 12-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Skier View Post
Thanks for the welcome...

Just getting ready to pull the engine out of my '71 and send it to the shop for a rebuild. Anybody have suggestions on where to take the 360FE to be rebuilt as a 390? There are a couple shops here in south eastern WA that seem good, but I haven't decided yet.

Let me know if you have any pointers.

Thanks,
BS
Hey BS!

Curious what part of SE WA you're from, and what shops are on your shopping list? IIRC, it's not a big deal to make a 360 into a 390. Again, IIRC, all it takes is a crank kit and a set of pistons and you're good to go. We did that to my dad's '71 F-100 about 30 years ago. That's why I don't remember all the details so good.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Junior User

Big Skier is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
Curious what part of SE WA you're from
Hey Merc,

I'm in the Tri Cities too. When I asked for pointers on shops, I could have spelled it Poynors, for Poynor's Machine in Kennewick. They seem very capable, a little more money than smaller guys, but very solid. They usually have several 390 builds going in thier shop. However, they only build to the long block and don't run it.

HiWay Auto in Prosser also sounds good, but I haven't heard back on an estimate yet. HiWay Auto will fully assembly and also run it on a dyno if you want to pay for it.

In Oregon, Portland Engine ReBuilders has a high torque 390 as a standard off the shelf product. Its a long block, but has a good warrenty. They cost more to assemble, but they know their stuff. HiPro and S&S(new name) in Spokane have similar 390s, but PER sounds like they have a little more expertise with the 390.

Full assembly with a 1 year warrenty (on gasket leaks too) sounds really nice. Its little expensive, but it will save me time and headaches later so I can get to my other projects. Let me know if you have any thoughts.
BS
Everything rusts in the end: Mt 6:19
Old 12-31-2010, 01:08 AM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Skier View Post
Hey Merc,

I'm in the Tri Cities too. When I asked for pointers on shops, I could have spelled it Poynors, for Poynor's Machine in Kennewick. They seem very capable, a little more money than smaller guys, but very solid. They usually have several 390 builds going in thier shop. However, they only build to the long block and don't run it.

HiWay Auto in Prosser also sounds good, but I haven't heard back on an estimate yet. HiWay Auto will fully assembly and also run it on a dyno if you want to pay for it.

In Oregon, Portland Engine ReBuilders has a high torque 390 as a standard off the shelf product. Its a long block, but has a good warrenty. They cost more to assemble, but they know their stuff. HiPro and S&S(new name) in Spokane have similar 390s, but PER sounds like they have a little more expertise with the 390.

Full assembly with a 1 year warrenty (on gasket leaks too) sounds really nice. Its little expensive, but it will save me time and headaches later so I can get to my other projects. Let me know if you have any thoughts.
BS
I know Corey Poynor has a good reputation and has been doing engine work for a long, long time. I don't know anything about HiWay Auto in Prosser, except I thought it was a wrecking yard. Never heard of anyone having an engine built there.

The deal in Portland sounds very interesting, and probably worth a serious look. Building to long block is where all the tricky stuff is. Anyone can take an engine from there and finish it out. It's just manifolds and accessories after that. I guess you'll have to decide how much it's worth it to you to have someone else finish it and to run it on a dyno before installation.

Good luck with your project.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Post Fiend

Got a few more new members to welcome!!!

Please make welcome ~

cliffordingles ~ who lives in Eatonville and has a 1986 F-250

sportfuryjoe ~ who has a 1976 F-250

sfanchf1 ~ who lives in Anacortes and has a 1965 F-100

Welcome guys!!! Post away and show us some pics of your trucks!!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Senior User

cliffordingles is starting off with a positive reputation.
whats up! thanks for the welcome! ill try and take some pics of my truck soon. right now its at the father in laws cuz im having problems getting it to run.just for knowledge, how does this chapter work? we do anything? lol
Old 01-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Posting Guru

Welcome...cliffordingles, sportfuryjoe and sfanchf1 to Washington chapter.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Post Fiend

We try to get together and do stuff as a whole, but we are so spread out, and everyone is so danged busy, it doesn't happen often.

There are small groups that manage to meet up from time to time.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Senior User

cliffordingles is starting off with a positive reputation.
well im in the army, now stationed at fort lewis. so its prolly gunna be pretty hard for me to do some G2G's. also, got my truck running today! lol
Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Post Fiend

Fort Lewis,,, yeah,,, tough to get away!!

Good thing is,,, when they DO happen,,, it's usually on your side of the state!!!

Thank you so very much for your service!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 PM