6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Who switched from a diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 AM
rblomquist
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who switched from a diesel?

I have an 05 6.0 with only 38k on it but I'm really getting the itch for a new truck and am seriously eyeing the 6.2 gasser. Actually bought it back when the forum web-based buy service was going strong. Anyhow, when I bought my 6.0 I was looking hard at getting a V10 but there were none around configured like I wanted so I went for the diesel even though knowing that when I ran the numbers it made zero sense (financially) to go that route i.e. up-charge for motor, higher price of diesel, fuel filters, 15+ qrt oil changes etc etc etc.

I've been pulling a 10-11.5k tag toybox with my 6.0 and only got around 9mpg with it. Sounds like most 6.2 people are getting 8-9 towing? I just sold the toybox and am thinking about goint to a conventional 5ver but am a touch leery of pulling one with a gasser (even though I probably shouldn't be). Also, still unsure if I'll buy another 4x4 or perhaps even a dually (although not likely).

Other than two rear door window mouldings being replaced early on my 6.0 has been absolutely stone-cold reliable, I can't complain about anything there. I just have an itch for a new truck and based on my actual cost of ownership experience with the 6.0 I know a diesel doesn't make sense for me on so many levels.

Thanks in advance for everyone's .02

Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 AM
rkmfordman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I traded in a 2007 6.0 diesel for mine and have no regrets whatsoever my 6.0 had a few problems but nothing major but like you say maintaince cost are high and so is diesel and i was always worried when it was gonna break down.I think you would love the 6.2 i know i do, mine has the3.73 gears and i pull 8,000lb travel trailer and gooseneck cattle trailer that sometimes weighs 10,000lb and it no problem.If you want to pull heavier loads or tow most of the time 4.30's might be the way to go.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
I had an 07 6.0 and then a 09 6.4. I switched to the 6.2 as I had nothing but problems with the diesels. I pull a fiver that weighs about 13,600 lb loaded. No it does not pull like a diesel does but it does just fine and I can cruise along at 65~70 mph all day without worry. It pulls good on the hills as well and if you look there is a link in one of the threads here where a 6.2 went head to head with a bunch of the diesels in a hill pulling contest and beat a bunch of them. You just need to get used to the higher revs when towing. Mine will pull in OD on the highway just as long as I am not fighting a headwind. If so I am one or two gears down depending on the wind. Towing I am around 8 if I recall and my diesels were both around 9+ so I am burning about 10% more fuel. With being in the far north it is much nicer not to have a diesel in the winter too. My maintenance costs are a shadow of what they were with the diesel. For me the switch was the best thing I have ever done. For you it may be different. All depends on how much you tow, where you tow, etc. Everyone's needs are different. I will say the new truck has car like comfort compared to the older ones. If you do go with the 6.2 and tow heavy go with the 4.30's for the pulling power. If you look in the what do you tow thread there are pictures of my set up on page 6 post 79. Link below.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ur-6-2l-6.html

Old 01-19-2012, 12:46 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Proof's in the puddin'!!! Since Super08 mentioned it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-videos.html

I don't know who I might've beat but I sure as s**t gave the 6.7 a run for the money...

Old 01-19-2012, 02:32 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Proof's in the puddin'!!! Since Super08 mentioned it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-videos.html

I don't know who I might've beat but I sure as s**t gave the 6.7 a run for the money...
That is very bad @ss on a number of fronts. I can't think of a better way to illustrate the difference (or lack therof) between the rigs. Very, very cool.

A lot of times all I find is a lot of posts from folks in the heartland or other places such as the deep south. These places typically are not good metrics for me as they generally lack the crazy high (and long) grades we have out west. It's great to see and read feedback from folks towing heavy stuff such as TTs and 5vers with this setup. It's even more great to hear real-world feedback from those doing it out West.

There's a huge misconception about needing diesel to tow. My first diesel pickup was a 99 Dodge with a 200hp Cummins linked to a POS slushbox excuse for a transmission. People claimed that combo was what you needed to tow good. I think about the performance and specs of that truck vs. the current 6.2 Ford and there's literally no comparision. Yet, many people to this day would tell you the 99 Dodge Cummins would be better for towing.

I still love diesels in so many ways but again, I know it just doesn't make any economic sense for me personally. I'm really impressed with what I've been digging up research wise on the 6.2, hope to take in a lot more first-hand feedback from folks before I buy my next truck but so far I can't really see anything keeping me from switching to a 6.2, so long as I can get a 4:30 rear end.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:58 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
You may have to order a truck with the 4.30's if your dealer can't find one (they seem to be a rare item). If you do order, there's a number of threads outlining some details about DORA's and order guides to help you through the process (which is VERY easy, hardest part is waiting).

And for the record, the 6.7 is a monster of a machine, I drove KC8VQ0's 6.7 at that Ohio meet and was absolutely impressed. I had never even test drove one because I wasn't interested in owning a diesel. My previous experience with a diesel was my dads 2000 heavily tuned 7.3 dually... If I was towing alot, I'd definitely be all over one, it just make sense. BUT for my leisure activities, occassional towing, and daily driving, the 6.2 works great for me. If you're near Pittsburgh, I'd be happy to meet up and let you take mine for a spin.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 PM
jorlee
Senior User
Same boat here. Getting a used dealer demo 2011 250 crew with 3.73's tomorrow, and only 2000 miles. Just don't want to pay for the 70+ cent spread anymore, or the expensive oil changes.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:08 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Matt,

Yes, if / when I decide to go with a 6.2 the 4:30 rear end will be a non-negotiable requirement. When I bought my 6.0 a hard requirement of mine was a manual trans. There was a total of 6 trucks available with manual trans's west of the Mississippi at that particular time (end of the 05 MY). Anyhow, I ended up buying it from a vendor working with this site but that required I travel from Las Vegas to Portland, OR to get it... no problem, it was that important to me.

My work has a fleet of hundreds of vehicles, mostly all trucks, and a large % of those are HD diesels (probably 60/40 Ford/Chevy). I've driven samples of each, up to and including the 6.7 450. The new engine is very stout, no doubt about it. The speed off the line reminds me of the Duramax, only on a little nitrous.

What I'm trying to do with my next truck is to more closely match my needs with my requirement. Like I said before, my 2005 6.0 only has 38k on it so I'm not the kind of end user that can get enough usage out of a diesel to justify the additional cost burden of owning one. I do want a truck to tow some sort of RV load, but that's only max of perhaps 1, 2-week summer trip, coupled with perhaps 6-7 more local weekend camping trips.

The other factor here, like the guy above mentioned, is piece of mind. Once you're out of warranty diesel repairs are a scary thought if/when a big issue pops up. For example, an employee of mine just had his HPOP go bad on his '03 PSD and the bill for that repair was close to $4k

If money was no object and/or if I ran the highways of this country for a living e.g. transporting cars or travel trailers, then the PSD is a great choice. However, I'm at the point of being ok with the concept that you don't 'need' one if you tow anything.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Originally Posted by jorlee
Same boat here. Getting a used dealer demo 2011 250 crew with 3.73's tomorrow, and only 2000 miles. Just don't want to pay for the 70+ cent spread anymore, or the expensive oil changes.
Congrats! Post back after you get some seat time in it.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:09 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rblomquist
Once you're out of warranty diesel repairs are a scary thought if/when a big issue pops up. For example, an employee of mine just had his HPOP go bad on his '03 PSD and the bill for that repair was close to $4k
You ought to venture over to the 6.7 forum and see what a HPFP system is going for on the 6.7 (some of which are still in warranty)....

Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Matt is right. The 6.2 will anything and everything the 6.7 will do.

However, there's about an 8,000 dollar cool factor when towing with a diesel .

Also Matt...took my truck to the dump this weekend and it weighed in at 8,220 lbs with two guys and a half tank of diesel. We need to get some calibrated weight slips I think.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:52 PM
L&D's Broncos
Die Hard Ford Fan

Switched from Diesel.....

I started out with an 1987 F-350 Crew-cab Dually with a 460 and a C-6.Solid truck. 121,000
Then a 1990 F-350 Crew-cab Dually with a 7.3 and 5-speed. Good truck. 118,000
Next was a 2006 F-350 Crew-cab Tow Boss 4.30 gears 4x4 with a 6.0 and torque shift and lots of Banks parts. 96,271 POS, good thing it had ESP to 115,000 but I could not wait that long.
My New Years Resoloution was to get rid of it h*## or high water.
Took delivery on 1-3-12 of a 2012 F-350 Crew-cab 4x4 6.2 with 6 speed. Production date 11/11.
I pull 24,290 ( total truck and all) 4 times a year and trailers carrying Broncos 12-20 times a year at around 8,000. Can't wait to get it broke in and hook the wagon to it!

That said, I have LOTS of stuff for a F-350 2005'-2007' 6.0 FOR SALE. See some at:

NC Banks Monster Exhaust & Intake 05'-07' Ford 6.0 CCLB - ClassicBroncos.com Forums

Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
Matt is right. The 6.2 will anything and everything the 6.7 will do.

However, there's about an 8,000 dollar cool factor when towing with a diesel .

Also Matt...took my truck to the dump this weekend and it weighed in at 8,220 lbs with two guys and a half tank of diesel. We need to get some calibrated weight slips I think.
Im wondering if mine should've come in lighter, from what I'm seeing online, its heavy...

Old 01-20-2012, 04:34 AM
coobie
Senior User
My previous truck was a 2004 dodge 4X4 with the 5.9 HO cummins diesel.It was very dependable truck that got decent fuel mileage and pulled great.Got the bug to buy a new 2011 ford and have no regrets as far as the truck.I have been reading over 6.7 diesel section of a few engine problems and the way ford customer service has handled things give me a little concern.Other than that I am happy with my truck.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:33 AM
nycsteve
Mountain Pass
I traded an 08 6.4 for the 2011 6.2 . Best thing I could have done. The 6.4 got 12.5 hwy with a 4000# truck camper in the bed. The 6.2 with a 4.3 rear gets 10.5 hwy with the camper on. The cost per mile is pretty much the same factoring in higher maintainance and fuel costs but I didnt have to pay the 8K deisel engine premium. Maintaince is not only cheaper but simpler. Plus theres built in expensive repairs on the diesel, DPF etc. I know the 6.7 will do better milage-wise but not enough to make it cost effective vs the 6.2 . Im done with diesels unless a pristine pre-2007 non Ford falls in my lap, cheap . Even then Ide keep the 6.2, aND use the new/old diesel as a work/fishing truck.

Quick Reply: Who switched from a diesel?